Narayan Shabad

gurmzz

• 1 month later...

gurfateh ji,

to start with, sikhi believes that god has an infinite number of names, so naryan here means GOD himself.

this shabad is a very beautiful shabad. the shabad is by guru arjan dev ji. fifth guru. and this shabad explains what god is like, what he does, how we can find him, and its link to naam, how we should jup naam, what happens when we jup naam.

this shabad tells you where god is, tells yu what happpens to yourself when you jup/do the naam. it tells you what god should be to you, tells you the power of god, the nature of god, it even explains what type of person (rather, saint) god is to him i.e. what a saintly person sees god as.

it explains the importence of saadh-sangat. and how high and next level saadh-sangat is.

>> it also tells you how ofen to sing the praises of god (naryan)! so you already have your answer from guru ji, before you even asked your question!!!<<

this shabad also explains that what the true nature of the true servent of god (which we are all trying to become).

gurbani is beyant. without end hence infinite. if we put restrictions on the iinfinite shabad guru, then we are only going to limit ourselves. hence! there is no specific times for gurbani or number of times to say gurnani. gurbani is beyant. how can we cage infinity? we cant y? cus it defeats the object of the very nature of infinity i.e. god.

so in this very shabad, which is praise of god, it tells you hw many times to say the shabad. baarang baar! again and again! never stopping! :)

you may think of a question that wot bout the japji sahib/nitnem. can we do that in the eve? A: yes! as long as you start your day with it aswell. it has a spitirual function. however, bani can be recited any time in the day/nite. in gurbani, the word 'sadha' cmes alot. meaning all the tiime. thinking bout god/ jupping naam/ all the rest.

bani cannot be resticted by time or space! :):lol:

and, some gurmukhs nly need to say 1 vaheguru, and they are on it! for the lucky few, through kirpa of god, they have attained this maha-gift from guru/god.

hope this answers the q.

l8rz jeeo!

ਗੋਂਡ ਮਹਲਾ ੫ ॥

gonadd mehalaa 5 ||

Gond, Fifth Mehl:

ਨਾਮੁ ਨਿਰੰਜਨੁ ਨੀਰਿ ਨਰਾਇਣ ॥

naam niranjan neer naraaein ||

The Name of the Immaculate Lord is the Ambrosial Water.

ਰਸਨਾ ਸਿਮਰਤ ਪਾਪ ਬਿਲਾਇਣ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

rasanaa simarath paap bilaaein ||1|| rehaao ||

Chanting it with the tongue, sins are washed away. ||1||Pause||

ਨਾਰਾਇਣ ਸਭ ਮਾਹਿ ਨਿਵਾਸ ॥

naaraaein sabh maahi nivaas ||

The Lord abides in everyone.

ਨਾਰਾਇਣ ਘਟਿ ਘਟਿ ਪਰਗਾਸ ॥

naaraaein ghatt ghatt paragaas ||

The Lord illumines each and every heart.

ਨਾਰਾਇਣ ਕਹਤੇ ਨਰਕਿ ਨ ਜਾਹਿ ॥

naaraaein kehathae narak n jaahi ||

Chanting the Lord's Name, one does not fall into hell.

ਨਾਰਾਇਣ ਸੇਵਿ ਸਗਲ ਫਲ ਪਾਹਿ ॥੧॥

naaraaein saev sagal fal paahi ||1||

Serving the Lord, all fruitful rewards are obtained. ||1||

ਨਾਰਾਇਣ ਮਨ ਮਾਹਿ ਅਧਾਰ ॥

naaraaein man maahi adhhaar ||

Within my mind is the Support of the Lord.

ਨਾਰਾਇਣ ਬੋਹਿਥ ਸੰਸਾਰ ॥

naaraaein bohithh sansaar ||

The Lord is the boat to cross over the world-ocean.

ਨਾਰਾਇਣ ਕਹਤ ਜਮੁ ਭਾਗਿ ਪਲਾਇਣ ॥

naaraaein kehath jam bhaag palaaein ||

Chant the Lord's Name, and the Messenger of Death will run away.

ਨਾਰਾਇਣ ਦੰਤ ਭਾਨੇ ਡਾਇਣ ॥੨॥

naaraaein dhanth bhaanae ddaaein ||2||

The Lord breaks the teeth of Maya, the witch. ||2||

ਨਾਰਾਇਣ ਸਦ ਸਦ ਬਖਸਿੰਦ ॥

naaraaein sadh sadh bakhasindh ||

The Lord is forever and ever the Forgiver.

ਨਾਰਾਇਣ ਕੀਨੇ ਸੂਖ ਅਨੰਦ ॥

naaraaein keenae sookh anandh ||

The Lord blesses us with peace and bliss.

ਨਾਰਾਇਣ ਪ੍ਰਗਟ ਕੀਨੋ ਪਰਤਾਪ ॥

naaraaein pragatt keeno parathaap ||

The Lord has revealed His glory.

ਨਾਰਾਇਣ ਸੰਤ ਕੋ ਮਾਈ ਬਾਪ ॥੩॥

naaraaein santh ko maaee baap ||3||

The Lord is the mother and father of His Saint. ||3||

ਨਾਰਾਇਣ ਸਾਧਸੰਗਿ ਨਰਾਇਣ ॥

naaraaein saadhhasang naraaein ||

The Lord, the Lord, is in the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy.

ਬਾਰੰ ਬਾਰ ਨਰਾਇਣ ਗਾਇਣ ॥

baaran baar naraaein gaaein ||

Time and time again, I sing the Lord's Praises.

ਬਸਤੁ ਅਗੋਚਰ ਗੁਰ ਮਿਲਿ ਲਹੀ ॥

basath agochar gur mil lehee ||

Meeting with the Guru, I have attained the incomprehensible object.

ਨਾਰਾਇਣ ਓਟ ਨਾਨਕ ਦਾਸ ਗਹੀ ॥੪॥੧੭॥੧੯॥

naaraaein outt naanak dhaas gehee ||4||17||19||

Slave Nanak has grasped the Support of the Lord. ||4||17||19||

(At ang 867 of Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji)

• 7 years later...