Guru Nanak Dev Ji & The Kabba (mecca)

Guest Doe Kar Jor

Guest Doe Kar Jor

In the sakhi where Guru Nanak Dev Ji lies down with his feet pointing towards the Kabba, he asks the Muslim priest to turn his feet wherever God doesn't live. I understand this was a message to people to say that God doesn't just live in one place but I don't understand why Guru Ji chose this method to illustrate the point.

What is the difference between this and pointing our feet at Guru Ji in the Gurdwara Sahib?

In addition to explaining it to me, how would you explain this to a child of 12?

In the sakhi where Guru Nanak Dev Ji lies down with his feet pointing towards the Kabba, he asks the Muslim priest to turn his feet wherever God doesn't live. I understand this was a message to people to say that God doesn't just live in one place but I don't understand why Guru Ji chose this method to illustrate the point.

What is the difference between this and pointing our feet at Guru Ji in the Gurdwara Sahib?

In addition to explaining it to me, how would you explain this to a child of 12?

The Muslim claim God only lives in the Kabba. They pray in that one direction. They bow in that one direction.

Sikhs don't bow in one direction or pray in one direction and claim only God exist there. Sikhs can bow and pray North, South, East, or West because God exist everywhere. But when we are in the presence of Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji we bow before Guru Sahib. Pointing our feet toward Guru Sahib is being disrepectful. When Guru Nanak Dev ji slept with his feet toward the Kabba it was to show God is everywhere, not just in one direction.

When I do Ardas in my room I got pictures of Guru Sahib on my walls. When I bow it doesn't matter which direction I bow or stand and do Ardas. For a Muslim it will because he believes God exist only in that one place - in the direction of the Kabba. When I have Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji open on my computer then it does matter in which direction I bow and do Ardas. I wouldn't bow in the opposite direction of where the True Guru is. That would be disrepectful, so I bow in the direction Guru Sahib is. As soon as I close Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji then I can bow in any direction again because the True Guru isn't sitting in that one direction for me to disrepect.

the previous poster is correct. It is good you do not face pictures and pray because this would be idol worship.

The moral of the sakhi is not that we should not bow, and it is not that we should not face Guru Ji. the moral is Satguroo Jee does not reside in one geographical location of the world.

We can do aardas facing any direction but if Gurbani is present then we do AArdas facing Gurbani because Bani Guru Guru Hai Bani Vich Bani Amrit Sare. Gurbani Is The Guru. A black box with a ritualistic stone is not the Guru.

• 4 weeks later...

What is the difference between this and pointing our feet at Guru Ji in the Gurdwara Sahib? In addition to explaining it to me, how would you explain this to a child of 12?

Understand that both forms, Waheguru Paramatama(visible to the eye) and Satnaam Paramatama(invisible to the eye), are of God alone. As Satnaam Paramatama, Maharaj Ji, is invisible to the human eye yet still everything is full of him. However, as Waheguru Paramatama, Maharaj Ji, is visible to the human eye, everything is full of him, yes, but he can also be seen sitting on the takht(throne) in the Guru Ghar. If God is visible in his Guru form to our eyes, why wouldn't we go and bow down to him in his visible form. That's a blessing. We get to see God! Right? =)

The Qazi was talking about the invisible form of the Lord, though, the innocent soul couldn't recognize the Guru form Lord was actually the 'invisible' Lord himself. That was another reason why the Kabba turned at Maharaj Ji's feet. Qazi failed to see the Maharaj Ji was God himself, but the Kabba didn't fail to recognize its Lord. So it turned, the lifeless building was so lifeless afterall. The qazi learned that God is everywhere, and the Kabba learned that Guru Naanak himself was the Lord and so didn't miss the chance to bow down to him. So one bowed down to the Satnaam Paramatama, the qazi, and the other bowed down to the Waheguru Paramatama, Guru Naanak Saheb. We are so lucky to have Maharaj Ji. So lucky and blessed. Many thanks to him... We actually get to see the Lord. Saheb Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Maharaj is Guru Naanak Sahib himself, the Lord himself. And we get to see him. Lucky aren't we? =)

This is blessing that Satnaam Paramatma has given us. We can see him in his Waheguru Paramatama form. Invisible God, we can matha tek anywhere at all. The visible God in Guru form, we can matha tek in front of him, 'live'. Isn't that beautiful? =)

How you would explain this to the 12 year old, should come solely out of your inner feelings after reading this and other posts above. Children don't like lectures, they only understand the language of love. Tell him how you 'feel'. Stay in the moment while you speak to the child. The moment of Maharaj Ji's divine love. Feel the gratitude for having such a great Guru Saheb, the Lord. You'll be fine. Everything will come out naturally.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.

Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is Nirankar Rabb Vaheguru Ji Himself. so you dont point your feet towards Him.

The kabba is a made by the cowboy builders....even forgot to put the windows in!!!

So if God wants to use this method to illustrate His point, why are u arguing??

yes, excellent response. this is what sikhi is all about. sikhs are 1, muslims know nothing... let's disrespect them all we like! And yes, I love the 2nd part of the answer -> it is because it is. that REALLY solves the question and erases all doubt.

This kind of attitude annoys me, every religion wants to praise it's deities and itself. as far as I know, this was NOT the message of the guru sahibaan's. I don't mean to be rude, but please consider basics when replying to someone's questions. let's respect ALL faiths, and actually answer the question rather than saying "it is because it is".

@ Topic, I believe the question has been well answered.