Wearing Cap In Gurdwara

Guest Guest

To the original poster, I think you believe someone other than a keshdhari would be setting a "bad" example for the "younger" sangat. It makes no difference what you use to cover your head. Hell, I've even see people use napkins.

Don't judge someone by what is or isn't on their head. Look deeper!

Really? Starscream, do you wear shorts to a business job interview and tell the interviewers to look deeper or do you understand and dress appropriately? Hell why not wear a napkin?

Why do you find it so difficult to understand basic etiquette in the home of your guruji?

To the original poster, I think you believe someone other than a keshdhari would be setting a "bad" example for the "younger" sangat. It makes no difference what you use to cover your head. Hell, I've even see people use napkins.

Don't judge someone by what is or isn't on their head. Look deeper!

Ill look deeper into the situation and say Guru Sahib wants us to live in his roop, those who dont wear a Turban are disrespecting Guru Gobind Singhs hukam.

You shouldnt think so shallow at the Hukam of wearing a turban with hair uncut underneath. Too many are holding Sikhi hostage and try to justify the lamest of reasons why to not be a GurSikh. :wacko:

Starscream, I will post if necessary. Will ask if necessary. Will question if necessary. Will talk if necessary. You still didn't answer any of the two question....why? I'm not having any communication problem with anyone....If I find something I do not understand, daas will ask...not a hard thing to do....but if you do not want to answer any of the questions....just say it....I'm asking in a way where I'm not trying to offend you or anyone else....yet you think I'm specifically targeting your posts. Read your initial post in this thread, then answer the two simple question I proposed to you. I tried my best to ignore your post....like others did..but couldn't help my self to ask you questions about why you posted such a response.....

Guest --gupt--

Guru fateh!

Wearing cap is bad for a sikh no matter whether it is in gurdwara or outside it.It is against rehat.

WEARING OF HATS/CAPS

REHAT

hoie isK isr topI DrY ] swq jnm kuStI huie mrY ]

hoe sikh sir ttopee dhharai || saath janam kushattee hue marai ||

He who as a Sikh places a hat on their head; will be reborn seven times as a leper.

Bul cuk mafa!

Guru fateh!

I think sometimes when a persons own jeevan is not very good (not judging just general comment), or where someone is not pushing their own jeevan towards Gursikhi then they tend to play down the significance of Gurus Hukam.

For example if someone takes drugs then they will tend to play down the harmfull effects drugs. In the same way if someone is mona then he/she will tend to play down the significance of kesh, as it shows up their own shortcomings. Blessed is he who inspite of their shortcomings will still uphold Gurus hukum.

• 7 years later...

Gurbani teaches us to be “NIRVAIR” (without prejudices or discrimination), then why should we discriminate with those wearing caps ? after all they are showing respect by covering their heads. During the time of the 10 Gurus, did they restrict anyone from sitting in their “Sangat” purely on the basis of their clothes or turbans or cut hair. Let us not forget that they practiced total equality and Guru Gobind Singh even had non sikhs in his army. If the “Rahat maryada” which is mentioned above was truly prescribed by Guru Gobind Singh then he would not have had any non sikhs in his army or in his Sangat. There are Hindu temples in south India where men are not allowed to cover their upper body, do we want to make Gurudwaras like those temples. If yes, then we are doing the opposite of what Guru Nanak taught us. Think about it..........

15 hours ago, Guest Jagjot said:

Gurbani teaches us to be “NIRVAIR” (without prejudices or discrimination), then why should we discriminate with those wearing caps ? after all they are showing respect by covering their heads. During the time of the 10 Gurus, did they restrict anyone from sitting in their “Sangat” purely on the basis of their clothes or turbans or cut hair. Let us not forget that they practiced total equality and Guru Gobind Singh even had non sikhs in his army. If the “Rahat maryada” which is mentioned above was truly prescribed by Guru Gobind Singh then he would not have had any non sikhs in his army or in his Sangat. There are Hindu temples in south India where men are not allowed to cover their upper body, do we want to make Gurudwaras like those temples. If yes, then we are doing the opposite of what Guru Nanak taught us. Think about it..........

In the time of the Gurus most people looked at wearing a dastar as a sign of utmost respect , look at idioms from Punjabi  there are loads which indicate this. All the faiths respected the dastar , in fact the Mughals passed laws forbidding non-muslims from wearing dastars because they were not deemed worthy. Everyone knows that we do maintain cleanliness to go to darbar so yes there is a level of 'discrimination' as you would call it . If a place of worship has a requirement from rehitnamey of Guru Sahiban  we should encourage people towards that , not be slack and forget our duty to show full respect to Guru ji's orders . 

I have seen full grown men (granddaddy age) wearing a baseball cap over their kesh out and about , it is childish and really embarassing that they think aping goray is better than wearing the Crown that Guru ji blessed them with. It shows the world that they are ashamed of themselves in not so many words...so sad . I remember going to India and getting the hard staredown by three such strange specimens , guess it was my dastar giving them a complex.

My husband is a goray and he has always worn a full dastar or bandana to do sewa or attend Gurudwara , to him there is no problem  , in fact, seeing the sea of hankies at my cousins wedding said , why would anyone want to wear a nosecleaning cloth on their head instead of a beautiful looking turban for their daughter's/sons's wedding?

Jagjot the first thing Guru Nanak Dev ji taught us was what ? to live in Hukham , it is hukham you have kesh so you should keep and maintain it lovingly and wearing a dastar should be a reminder that this head belongs to Guru ji not us ...

Technically it shouldn't matter what you wear on your head when you enter a gurdwara or when you reading from scriptures as long as you cover your head/hair as a sign of respect. But as per norms, traditions and protocols you shouldn't wear a cap. You should wear a turban or bandana or headscarf chuni.

4 hours ago, genie said:

Technically it shouldn't matter what you wear on your head when you enter a gurdwara or when you reading from scriptures as long as you cover your head/hair as a sign of respect. But as per norms, traditions and protocols you shouldn't wear a cap. You should wear a turban or bandana or headscarf chuni.

There is Maryada for reading from Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji, pothi, gutka.  This maryada must be kept for proper respect of Gurbani.  Why not cap?  When was the last time a person washed it?  NEVER because washing a cap ruins it majority of the time.  So many people don't wash their caps.  if they do it's after weeks of wearing it.  Same cap is used for many other activities and is constantly touched, dropped, full of sweat, etc.  It's similar for serving langar in the Gurdwara or anywhere else where the Guru's langar is being provided to the sangat.  As a person is fulfilling a duty given to them by the Guru.  There is a requirement to follow about dress because this is not your place.  It is the place of the Guru.  Bowing the head is not enough.  Bow with the mind and cover the head with the provided head covers when doing langar di seva.