How to tie a Dastar/Turban/Dumala

Sewadar

Sat Sri Akal:

Absolutely. There is a post asking how to tie a dastaar like every couple of months on forums. This would end that question and provide real instruction so more Sikhs go from :kid: to :nihungsmile: .

So see if Waheguroo.com sewadaars are willing to host a copy of that VCD. If not, ask some other site. And there is always the gurseva hub.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

Dhumalla Guide

i havent written how to do a jurra because i assume you all know how to do one, but if you want a really nihung style one, you twist cloth into your hair whilst you twist it up before you tie a knot, then do a flat jurra and when you bring the excess cloth over your jurra (and keski and kangha) you have a nice big jurra which is flat and stable nihung style! ive just pasted an old message i wrote again below:

dont laugh at the pictures either

ok first most baasic thing is that you must have a TIGHT jurra and a TIGHT keski. i do my dumalla for school and when you have those "bad hair days" when your phug just wont look right its usually cause the keski moved a bit or the jurra wasnt tight enough

your keski should ideally be made of mal mal material but for a keski it can be thick......mal mal is the thinnest type of material for phugs.......go to a shop for phugs and they will have it definately if you ask for "MAL MAL" as opposed to "RUBIA".....

anyways so im assuming you know how to do a keski well......make sure its tight though. if your not too sure just reply and ill write up sum stuff.

just on a random note.......how high your keski is on your head actually has quite a big bearing on what your face looks like......a low keski tends to make you more aggressive looking :wub: and a high one makes you look more "handsome" lol

anyway so now you need to do the dumalla. i suggest

you get MAL MAL material for this, it makes it easiest. i cant say exactly how long but mine personally will go 7-8 times round my head. ideally i would have it longer, so if you can only get it that long you might want to wear two keskis. it is also folded in half because the material is so thin.

also remember when you gather the cloth in your hand at each point, make sure you dont twist it round and make sure it is "bunched" in your hand - not just a flat sheet - this way eat fold is thicker sortov, and it gives that nihung look....its hard to describe sorry

anyway so your actual material when folded should cover your entire jurra and a bit on either side if u just put it on your head. so what you do, is place the end of it, with the end which is folded (one side will be folded the other side will have an edge on it where u can see the two bits u folded) on the RIGHT. the rest of the material should be draping in front of you. now the material should be far enough back on your head so that it covers all your jurra then a bit more. now you should take the part in front of you, and take it to the left, so it goes over your left ear. try and make it so half a diagonal has been made at the front, then take it round the back and round the other side, so a SYMMETRICAL triangle is made. make sure it is symmetrical. it may take some time if your not used to it, or not particularly dextrous (lol)

ok so now you do a horizontal fold when you come round again. this time go over the triangle you made a bit, so its been cut off like in the diagram. that little bit of keski remains showing or you can cover it if you like. now after this i usually cover the two diagonals again, it is important you go round a few times to built up the SIDES of the phug, to make it SMOOTH and curved. if you havent practised b4 it can look lumpy and yukky....make sure that doesnt happen.

also i cant stress how important it is to keep EACH FOLD very tight and tense. not so much that it hurts, but your keski should

be tight enough to not move when u pull it pretty tight. it is also important NOT to allow the phug to twist. make sure the nice folded edge of the phug is always at the bottom. once you have made sure all hte lines on each fold are nice and straight and you have a nice curve at each side which has been built up.

now the final bit. the first time round, the phug should start quite high up on the head, and it should dip downwards, so there is a curve (shown on diagram). then it goes straight over the last horizontal you did, and up again. the diagram shud make it obvious, but its a bit messy (your phug should be very neat, and also ive drawn the thickness widthwise of hte phug too thin, but you get the idea.

for the final time you go around, start near the bottom, and then do the opposite, make it go high up, allowing a little of hte curve to show. then tuck in the end underneath hte previous wraps you have done.

on the last two wraps, sometimes its hard to maintain tension on both sides of the phug, so sometimes one side goes floppy and looks messy. just keep redoing the particular wrap till its neat

those are all the tips i know really......BTW......this isnt a guide to doing "a" or "the" dumalla....its a guide to doing "my" dumalla ....... i had to teach myself pretty much so the way i do it might not be exactly how other singhs do it....mine doesnt look bad but it can still be improved.......still practise at it........its like an art :)

personally i think dumalla is the HARDEST phug to do but trust me it is the best.....it will not come off during sports, and it is very comfortable also...if you dont usually wear a phug over your ears, ur ears might get a bit sore but after a week its fine.....a dumalla can also suit your face whatever its like - i have a slim face so i do a bit of a skinny dumalla......if you hav

e a round or fat face then you can do a really wide dumalla (more wraps round) to suit your face.

Dhumalla Guide

dhumallaguide.jpg

Keski Guide

keskiguide.jpg

Okay there are 25 million sikhs and still counting and sikhi dharam is 500 + yrs old.. AND STILL WE DON"T HAVE A PROPER SOURCE WHICH shows HOW TO TIE DUMALA or KESKI or TURBAN ??? ohmy.gif Ohhh we are VERY VERY Far behind Singhoooo and Singhneeooo :wub:

This just made my day!!!!!!!!!!! grin.gif :e: :ww:: :nihungsmile:

hau gosweI dw pihlvwnVw ] mY gur imil auc dumwlVw ] sB hoeI iCMJ iekTIAw dXu bYTw vyKY Awip jIau ]17]

I am a wrestler; I belong to the Lord of the World. I met with the Guru, and I have tied a tall, plumed turban. All have gathered to watch the wrestling match, and the Merciful Lord Himself is seated to behold it. ||17||.

http://www.sikhwomen.com/turban/how.htm

http://www.paonline.com/mikehoov/Special_F...urban_Step1.htm

http://www.sikhkids.com/articles/article38.htm

sikhcamp.jpg

• 2 months later...

Did anyone go this event by SYA Dudley? Or does anyone have this VCD? I tried to kirtan hub but didn't find anything there.

I'm gonna try emailing them directly to get my hands on it.

The Dhumalla Guide that turbanator posted is great, i had it emailed to me before, but I'm a little uncordinated lol so a movie file would help more. The Keski guide is great as well but there's seems to be in error loading it on this page.