Priests Can’t Sack Me: Romana

Faridkot, July 1

Mr Mohinder Singh Romana, president of the management committee of Takht Patna Sahib, who is also a member of the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee, has rejected yesterday’s decision of the five priests of the Takht to sack him, which was reported in a section of the Press today.

The five priests — Giani Gurinder Singh (Head Granthi), Giani Baldev Singh (Senior Vice-Granthi), Giani Dalip Singh and Giani Nihal Singh (both Granthis) and the Takht head, Giani Iqbal Singh had said yesterday that Mr Romana, declared ‘tankhaiya’ on May 20 for using derogatory remarks against the Jathedar and Dasham Granth during the three-day function on the eve of celebrations of 400 years of Gur Gaddi at Chicago, had failed to clarify his position by the June 30 deadline. Mr Romana said the priests had no power to sack him and only Akal Takht could give such a decision.

“The priests have not only misused their powers but also violated the Sikh maryada. Under the 1953 Act of the constitution of Takht Patna Sahib, even a no-confidence motion against a president, senior vice-president, vice-president or general secretary of the management cannot be brought after the expiry of two-years-and-a-half of the management term. Even Mr Gurcharan Singh Tohra, Sant Harchand Singh Longowal and a former President, Giani Zail Singh, had rejected the decision of the priests of Takht Hazur Sahib who had misused their powers to excommunicate the leaders in 1984,” said Mr Romana.

Mr Romana said he had said at the function that, in the presence of Guru Granth Sahib, the recitation of Dasham Granth was against the Sikh Maryada, as said by Guru Gobind Singh. Even the Supreme Court h

ad, last year, described Guru Grandth Sahib as the juristic person for the Sikh nation. On this occasion, Giani Joginder Singh Vedanti, Jathedar Akal Takht; Giani Rajinder Singh, Head Granthi of Gurdwara Sis Ganj in New Delhi; Mr Harbhajan Singh Walia of the Delhi Gurdwara Management Committee, Jathedar Kesgarh Sahib and many other senior Sikh leaders had been present. He said he would accept any punishment given by Akal Takht and had already written to Giani Joginder Singh Vedanti to give his side of the story. The Jathedar had told him to appear before Akal Takht on July 10. He said the priests had acted at the behest of some politicians and he would soon file a defamation suit against all of them.

Yesterday, the Takht head, Giani Iqbal Singh, talking to our Amritsar reporter from Patna Sahib, had clarified that the clergy had not excommunicated Mr Romana, a confidant of Mr Parkash Singh Badal, from the Sikh Panth.

Giani Iqbal Singh said he would not attend the meeting of Akal Takht as the “chapter of Mr Romana” was closed.

link----http://www.tribuneindia.com/2003/20030702/punjab1.htm#10

Just a personal note on the subject of our 'punj pyaray'...I'm so blessed that I get to see them at least once a week at the Gurdwara Sahib, I've bridged quite a relationship with all of them. They have guided me with studies, work, stress, problems at home..whatever they say goes for me, and I can say with confidence it always creates peace and bliss in my soul ^_^

..waheguru..