A Nihang Singh’s Bandi Chor Diwas

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

In the 1960s Gursikhs from many villages had gathered at a historical Gurudwara Sahib associated with Dhan Dhan Satguru Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji Maharaj to celebrate Bandi Chor Diwas.

At this programme a young Gursikh and his family had also arrived there. After being blessed with Guru Sahib’s darshan the young Gursikh went into the open air langar and began to do the seva of serving Guruji’s beloved Sikhs. After doing this for an hour the young Gursikh noticed a solitary figure in the distance.

As the young Gursikh walked towards the figure he soon noticed that it was an elderly Nihang Singh who was dressed in blue and bejewelled with weapons. The Gursikh tentatively approached the Nihang Singh and said, “Babaji why are you sat all alone out here in the darkness? Do you not want to see the lights that the sangat have lit?”

The Nihang Singh opened his eyes and looked at the young Gursikh and said, “Why haven’t you greeted me with Guruji’s Fateh? Don’t you know anytime you see a Khalsa that’s how you should greet them?”

The Gursikh quickly apologised and exchanged Guru Sahib’s Fateh with the Nihang Singh. He then repeated his questions. The Nihang Singh started laughing and told the Gursikh that, “This is the path of Dhan Guru Gobind Singh Ji Maharaj and is the only thing that shines brightly in this dark world! Why do you want to see simple candles when you can see Guruji who can light the candle of love in your heart?”

The Gursikh smiled and then asked the Nihang Singh what he was doing? To which the Nihang Singh replied, “I’m trying to make each one of my breaths worthwhile in the remembrance of Dhan Dhan Satguru Sri Guru Hargobind Sahib Ji Maharaj’s charan kamal. It is my ardas that my beloved Guru will break the shackles of maya which keep me prisoner and apart from him.”

Bandichorsatguru.jpg

May Dhan Dhan Satguru Sri Guru Hargobind Sahib Ji Maharaj also break the shackles of maya which keep us prisoner and apart from him

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh