Writing Gurbani From Memory!

Guest _AK-47_

When i was given santhia the below wasnt tought, so i dont know what your onna bout mate

yea.. i no taksaal do that.. amritsar dudes says the other thing... thats what i believe.. like say, ghar has a sihaari, that means inside the ghar; like tith ghar anhad vaje...

taksaal also do wrong pronuncatiion and ucharan..

they say pause after naanak in naanak neech kahae veechaar.. this is wrong because of the arath. our gurbani has basically beed made so that no one can ever change it.

another is that they say naanak utham neech na koi..... taksaal say that pause after the uttam so as to say naanak is highest... but this is wrong again because of the arath... there are 6 types of naanak, 2 of which are the kaka mukta and the other with aunkar in take lets say...the japji sahib... if it is mukta, then you must pause after the nanak. if not, i.e. with the aunkar, then you saay it with the next word..

again in jaap sahib, tasaal have so many mistakes. if you knows chandabundi which i am still learning, then it becomes adement where gurbani has been changed. somtimes (as discussed above) the arath has been changed, other times, it hasnt- it has only been changed to re-enforce the arath.. this is ok, but still changing gurbani is not somthing i wud wana do...

another thing, 'bhukhiaa' in bhukhiaa bukh na uttari..

taksaal say that because that there is no bindi on the last kana no bindi should be pronunced. and i agree exactly with that.

however, the amritsar dudes say that there should be a bindi because looking at the gurbani tuk as a sentance of understanding/ ucharan pouposes, a bindi should be said because....>> it is bau bachan. this 'bau bachan' thing is grammer. bau bachan means plural. so there is some truth to this bindi thing i think but i just tend to say it however i.e. with or without the bindi.

we all say the bindi without knowing it... unless we actively dont say it.

for the moment, from what i know, i think i will stay with the amritsar way of doing it because (at the moment) i feel that it is better than the taksaal way.. i understand that it is not the correct thing to get into but.... u no..

gurfateh jeeoz

oh 1 last thing, writing gurbani from memory is an amazing feat, but if one understands the tuk truly, then it is easy to know where the sihaari/aunker goes at the end of the word.

• 2 months later...
-Bhai Gurdaas Jee:

Guru Arjun Dev Sahib Jee had given respect to Bhai Gurdaas Jee’s Banee calling it the key to opening the treasure of Guru Granth Sahib Jee. In Bhai Gurdaas Jee’s Kabits (poems), there is one that deals with the importance of Shudh Ucharan and each individual character.

ਜੈਸੇ ਲਗ ਮਾਤ੍ਰ ਹੀਨ ਪੜਤ ਅਉਰ ਕਉ ਅਉਰ ਪਿਤਾ ਪੂਤ ਪੂਤ ਪਿਤਾ ਸਮਸਰਿ ਜਾਨੀਐ ॥

If a word is not pronounced with the proper characters(ਲਗਾ ), it loses meaning and becomes incoherent. Its like calling a father the son, or a son the father both in pronounciation(replacing the sihari(ਿ) with Dolankre(ੂ) and literal meaning.

Please read this sakhi on this site:

http://gursevak.com/?page_id=2

This sakhi highlights the IMPORTANCE OF SHUDH UCHARAAN

Which means to pronounce every lagh akhar as every akhar was written by Guru Sahib so in order to get full laha of reading bani we shouldnt "ignore" lagh akhar,

Bhaji you are totaly RIGHT there is kno way we would write bani if we didnt have the lagha memorized,

Ask Any amritdharee to write the mool mantar with every lagh and we would fail to do so,

The thing is when we read evry lagh we are paying attention and starring at the bani with so much concentration that it goes straight inside us the science of the bani , White Sikhs talk alot about the science of the naad and stuff on sikhnet,

listen to this recoridinf of Japji pronouncing everylagh

you listen to this recoridng and u can see the bani inside you! :)

http://sikhvibes.com/kirtan/Nitnem%20-%20Santhiya/Bhagat%20Jee%20%28Baba%20Jaswant%20Singh%20Ji%20Bhagat%29/Nitnem%20Shudh%20Ucharan/01%20-%20Jap%20Ji%20Sahib.mp3

if that link doesnt work try this one>

http://sikhvibes.com/kirtan/index.php?q=f&f=%2FNitnem+-+Santhiya%2FBhagat+Jee+%28Baba+Jaswant+Singh+Ji+Bhagat%29

• 2 years later...

How can Taksaal have it wrong?

That's where Guru Gobind Singh ji passed on santhiaa to the Singhs, which has been passed down til today.

I don't think you can say Taksaal is wrong, Taksaal is our school of sikhee... our learning centre... It's like... saying the oxford dictionary is wrong and doesn't give accurate definitions in comparison to some laloo paloo... Not saying the Amritsar santhiaa Singhs are laloo paloos... but basically... It's Taksaal!! :respect:

How can Taksaal have it wrong?

That's where Guru Gobind Singh ji passed on santhiaa to the Singhs, which has been passed down til today.

I don't think you can say Taksaal is wrong, Taksaal is our school of sikhee... our learning centre... It's like... saying the oxford dictionary is wrong and doesn't give accurate definitions in comparison to some laloo paloo... Not saying the Amritsar santhiaa Singhs are laloo paloos... but basically... It's Taksaal!! :respect:

Because many believe taksal wasn't set up 300 years ago as there is no mention of it in any historical text. All the evidence for taksal being set up by guru sahib comes only from the jathedars and members of taksal. As an organisation it was done a lot of good, but that doesn't change the fact that it is unlikely guru sqhib set it up. So yes it can be wrong and is not infallible.

Because many believe taksal wasn't set up 300 years ago as there is no mention of it in any historical text. All the evidence for taksal being set up by guru sahib comes only from the jathedars and members of taksal. As an organisation it was done a lot of good, but that doesn't change the fact that it is unlikely guru sqhib set it up. So yes it can be wrong and is not infallible.

I haven't got the sources on me but I looked into some puratan sources that do indicate that taksaal was started by Baba Deep Singh Ji. So it is much more likely to have the correct santhia of gurbani than any other jathabandis. Not to say other jatha are wrong but to be safe and if you want to follow correct santhia taksaal is the way to go.

I also have sources from other mahapurakhs NOT TAKSAAL ones lol that also indicate taksaal was started by Baba Deep Singh Ji. So if you want to follow gurmat as close as possible then learning from taksaal is your best option.

Think about it some jathabandi are only 100 or 50 years old; how on earth can they claim to have correct santhia?

Well.. then how come that bibi in 18th century wrote down panj granthi from memory ??

In order to write Gurbani from memory, one shud have all the lagan maatran memorized.

I am disagree on this argument. what can you say about english where many alphabets are remain silent in the pronunciation. For example where P is Pronounced in the word.

"Psychology"

Are people who understand english cant memorize the spellings of words where the alphabets remain silent. Thousands of example can be given about this in other languages too.

If English can have the silent alphabets then why cant punjabi have silent "Matrava"?

Who are these "many"? I've never heard anything but the fact that Taksaal was founded by Guru Gobind Singh ji. And agree with veer Singh154 that its not just taksaali's that claim that it began with Guru Sahib but other Jathebandi members and mahapursh.

Some people ask whether Taksal existed in 18th century or not. We have enough evidence available in Sooraj Parkash and Panth Parkash which clearly proves that Baba Deep Singh ji led a Taksal of Gurmat Gyaan at Guru Kanshi Sri Damdama Sahib during his time. Even Bhai Kahan Singh Nabha mentions existence of Taksal of Burj%20Baba%20Deep%20Singh%20Ji.jpgDamdama Sahib in his Maahan Kosh. Under the title of Dasam Granth, Bhai Kahan Singh Nabha writes about existence of Taksal.

ਸੰਮਤ ੧੭੯੪ ਵਿੱਚ ਭਾਈ ਮਨੀਸਿੰਘ ਜੀ, ਸਿੱਖੀ ਦਾ ਸੱਚਾ ਨਮੂਨਾ ਦੱਸਕੇ ਲਹੌਰ ਵਿੱਚ ਸ਼ਹੀਦ ਹੋਏ. ਇਨ੍ਹਾਂ ਦੇ ਦੇਹਾਂਤ ਪੁਰ ਪੰਥ ਨੇ ਦਸਮਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਨੂੰ ਦਮਦਮੇ ਸਾਹਿਬ, ਜੋ ਉਸ ਸਮੇਂ ਵਿਦ੍ਯਾ ਦੀ ਟਕਸਾਲ (ਸਿੱਖਾਂ ਦੀ ਕਾਸ਼ੀ ਕਰਕੇ ਪ੍ਰਸਿੱਧ) ਸੀ ਵਿਚਾਰ ਲਈ ਭੇਜ ਦਿੱਤਾ.

Giani Gian Singh writes in his Panth Parkash about the sewa Baba Deep Singh ji Shaheed did while he stayed at Sri Damdama Sahib.

ਦੀਪ ਸਿੰਘ ਸ਼ਾਹੀਦ ਜਬ

ਥਿਰਯੋ ਦਮਦਮੇ ਜਾਇ

ਆਦਿ ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਤਿਨ ਔਰ ਇਕ

ਬੰਨੋਂ ਬੀੜ ਲਹਾਇ॥

ਪੁਰਿ ਕਰਤਾਰ ਲਿਜਾਇ ਕੈ

ਸੋਧਯੋ ਭਲੇ ਬਨਾਇ

ਅਪਨੀ ਤਰਫੋਂ ਫਰਕ ੳਨ

ਰਹਿਨੇ ਦਯੋ ਨ ਕਾਇ॥

ਤਿਸ ਪਰ ਤੈ ਚਾਰਿ ੳਨ Baba%20Deep%20Singh%20Ji%20Bhora%20Sahib.JPG

ਗ੍ਰੰਥ ਲਿਖਾਏ ਔਰ

ਇਕ ਹਜ਼ੂਰ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਪਠਯੋ

ਦੁਤੀਯਾ ਪਟਨੇ ਗੌਰ॥