Check Your Bread!

Singhstah

VahegurooJiKaKhalsaVahegurooJiKiFateh!

This is quite important, I just want to let sangat know that some breads actually contain products derived from PIGS, meat issue aside, its actually just sickening how these companies in their lust for profits can make something as simple as bread non vegetarian :doh:

Anyway, PLEASE do check there is either a 'V' sign or 'suitable for vegetarians' printed on your bread packaging as otherwise it will contain products from corpses.

Also, just as a general reminder to sangat even though it may seem simple, something I myself was quite unaware of until recently was that even if you check a product's ingredients and it seems to be ok, without an actual Vegetarian sign it is actually most likely unsuitable. Infact if you can't actually detect anything obvious in the ingredients list like egg white or something, its usually something really disgusting like internal organs which it contains :S

So my benti to sangata is please make sure that when looking at any food products check first for a Vegetarian logo, and even then you must check the ingredients for any presence of egg because even with a V sign it doesn't mean there is no egg in there :(

Life for us veggies just gets harder and harder lol, i think some sikh orgs should make some link with the Vegetarian Society and any others.

Could we have a list of the breads we can and cant eat as that would be more helpful.

This is quite important, I just want to let sangat know that some breads actually contain products derived from PIGS, meat issue aside, its actually just sickening how these companies in their lust for profits can make something as simple as bread non vegetarian :doh:

Anyway, PLEASE do check there is either a 'V' sign or 'suitable for vegetarians' printed on your bread packaging as otherwise it will contain products from corpses.

Also, just as a general reminder to sangat even though it may seem simple, something I myself was quite unaware of until recently was that even if you check a product's ingredients and it seems to be ok, without an actual Vegetarian sign it is actually most likely unsuitable. Infact if you can't actually detect anything obvious in the ingredients list like egg white or something, its usually something really disgusting like internal organs which it contains :S

So my benti to sangata is please make sure that when looking at any food products check first for a Vegetarian logo, and even then you must check the ingredients for any presence of egg because even with a V sign it doesn't mean there is no egg in there :(

Life for us veggies just gets harder and harder lol, i think some sikh orgs should make some link with the Vegetarian Society and any others.

See the updates on the Vegetarian Society website:

http://www.vegsoc.org/news/2009/bread.html...2009/bread.html

Apparently Allinson, Asda, Burgen, Co-op, Hovis, Kingsmill, Sainsbury's, Sunblest, Tesco own label, Waitrose, Warburtons are all fine.

Regards,

K.

I have contacted both Dempsters Bread and Wonder Bread Canada with regards to the issue of animal by-products and in particular the use of mono and digycerides. Dempsters advised that they do not use any animal by-products in any of their products. The mono and digycerides that they use are plant based. Below is the reponse I recieved from Wonder Bread Canada. I hope this information helps. In addition I spoke with a represenatative from Gay Lea which makes Nordica Cottage Cheese. They advised that they only use plant based mono and diglycerides. All of the people I spoke with were very helpful so if there is a product you are not sure about please pick up the phone and contact customer service.

Dear valued customer,

This letter is to acknowledge that none of our bakeries use any animal bi-products in our breads and rolls.

All fats, shortenings and micro ingredients (such as mono/di-glycerides and dough conditioners) are of vegetable source.

You will need to read the ingredient declaration/allergy statement on the bread and roll and there will be listed weather or not the product contains eggs or milk.

Should you have further questions concerning any of our products, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Sincerely,

Customer Service