Gurmat Gian Group - Sikh Women

Manbir

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

awesome! brilliant! exhilirating! uplifting! beautiful!

these are the words bursting in my mind as i listened to these tracks!

please can you share the inspiring story of this jetha-where based/what inspired each of you/how did you get together/ since when you started/ how you got these recordings done/ your tour plans

performing good quality kirtan like this requires a few different skills to come together and a lot of dedication, drive and determination. love how your different voices are used solo at times and melt into one another ,another times in a unified chorus. you have packed lots raag and varied taals too to create diversity.excellent voice control and pronunciation as well as use of alaaps,taans and rehaos.

may Gurujee bless you more n more n more n more!!!

may be you can let go more during your kirtan and go even more wilder! more unpredictable! more chaotic! more ecstatic! more repeat and emphasis on individual words and phrases in a shabad that jump at you, so its less of a performance and presentation but more of a cry from the heart.

gurbani is nectar and we the bees sucking on it, so kirtan can be very interactive,sounding like a bee fussing over 1 flower buzzing crazily as it sucks more and more nectar out and gets filled up .kirtan is akin to a drunk man getting more and more high from alcohol i.e as you do kirtan you get more and more drunk with Naam ras,reflecting itself in the kirtan you are doing, sounding more and more celestial ,more intoxicating,stretching your emotions ,imagination and communication thread of contact with God to the max till it breaks and you find yourself in heaven whilst your physical body is still playing the harmonium!

overall, this is fantastic kirtan! top notch !

awesome! brilliant! exhilirating! uplifting! beautiful!

these are the words bursting in my mind as i listened to these tracks!

please can you share the inspiring story of this jetha-where based/what inspired each of you/how did you get together/ since when you started/ how you got these recordings done/ your tour plans

performing good quality kirtan like this requires a few different skills to come together and a lot of dedication, drive and determination. love how your different voices are used solo at times and melt into one another ,another times in a unified chorus. you have packed lots raag and varied taals too to create diversity.excellent voice control and pronunciation as well as use of alaaps,taans and rehaos.

may Gurujee bless you more n more n more n more!!!

may be you can let go more during your kirtan and go even more wilder! more unpredictable! more chaotic! more ecstatic! more repeat and emphasis on individual words and phrases in a shabad that jump at you, so its less of a performance and presentation but more of a cry from the heart.

gurbani is nectar and we the bees sucking on it, so kirtan can be very interactive,sounding like a bee fussing over 1 flower buzzing crazily as it sucks more and more nectar out and gets filled up .kirtan is akin to a drunk man getting more and more high from alcohol i.e as you do kirtan you get more and more drunk with Naam ras,reflecting itself in the kirtan you are doing, sounding more and more celestial ,more intoxicating,stretching your emotions ,imagination and communication thread of contact with God to the max till it breaks and you find yourself in heaven whilst your physical body is still playing the harmonium!

overall, this is fantastic kirtan! top notch !

Dear Humkire ji

Dear Humkire ji

Fateh

Many thanks for the appreciation and the nice words. This Kirtan Jatha – Gurmat Gian Group is managed by Gurpreet Kaur (my wife) and the other members are Keerat Kaur (my daughter, presently in Atlanta US) and Japjit Kaur. Gurpreet Kaur composes the Shabads music and trains the other members of the group. There is some information about this group at the following sites.

Gurmat Gian Group: An Interview With One Of Its Members

Gurmat Gian Group: An All Sikh Women's Gurmat Sangeet Group

http://www.sikhiwiki.org/index.php/Gurmat_Gian_Group

Gurmat Gian Group members are trying in their humble way to sing Guru's Bani and enjoy it to the maximum. In this process they are trying to distribute Guru's Shabads to as many possible. They try to keep Ragas as the base of all the singing and use it as a vehicle to sing Guru's Bani. They try their best to keep Gurbani as main presentation. While doing Kirtan its Guru's Bani that is important and not the Ragas.

Yes, as you said it requires lot of effort to do all this and we are all thankful to Waheguru for making us do this.

Appreciation from people like you stimulates us to work even harder.

my dearest veer manbir ,

vah vah vah vah vah

you must be one of the luckiest man on this earth to have a wife, personally hand picked by Gurujee to perform such beautiful kirtan! Your home must be as bhai gurdas says ''ghar ghar andar dharamsal,hoe kirtan seda vesoa''. I am getting a mental visualisation of your home whereby you ,wife and daughter are sitting together at amritvela and sandiavela doing kirtan lovingly to Gurujee!!!!!

i been doing kirtan for the past 34 years, hence my words flow from my lifelong understanding of raags etc through Gurujee's kirpa. normally i can be very critical haha .but i have been listening to every single track and i love it. i can recognise immediately the effort,talent ,creativity and knowledge that has gone into this .

may Gurujee keep this jetha united ,make it grow even more, and go higher and higher in chardi kela.

Once i was supposed to do kirtan at a satsang. As i metha tekhed before Shree Guru Granth Sahib Jee, suddenly i realised that all my lifelong acquired knowledge of sangeet was nothing and peanuts in the presence of Gurujee's awesome majestic presence. I just lay lifeless in the presence of our Master crying helplessly like a little baby. I felt so small ,so useless ,just felt like a little puppy, a slave in Gurujee's presence, i culdnt utter a word ,my voice was trapped in my voice box.the jetha doing kirtan continued whilst waiting for me .

Then suddenly i felt a bolt of lighning from the presence of SHRI GURU GRANTH SAHIB MAHARAJ PITA JEE. Gurujee's power quickened in me,took me by force and made me get up and rush to the kirtan stage. The other gursikh veers on stage realised i was approaching and ready and made space for me at the main harmonium. As i sat down ,suddenly everything i had planned to sing just went out of the window.

I felt THE FORCE was with me and within me and was in control ,not me. My fingers started playing a tune i had not planned. I normally love to start with a manglacharan of Mulmantar at ambient speed to slowly build up the kirtan speed but this time THE FORCE made me start with the fastest akj style techno tune of Gurmantar jaap, that , then breaking up into other tunes as our jetha went along. I decided to let go and cry and smile and let the kirtan be a holy river taking me with itself to wash and worship at the lotus feet of Gurujee.

This was the day i realised how Gurujee can use all our knowledge, if we surrender to Him to help us sing kirtan beyond our wildest dream ,taking everything we know and churning it into something far far more beautiful than within our ability.

Truly you ,wife and daughter are jewels created by Gurujee to bless and beautify the panth . Its my great fortune to witness such beautiful keertan done by yourselves in this lifetime. I was listening to your keertan and let it haunt my soul as i was writing this reply!