Hath Yoga "drawing And Releasing Breath"

Daas, came across this shabad by Bhagat Jaidev jee who was born and bred in bengal, 2 of his shabads are included in Sree Guru Granth Saheb jee.

The line first line of the shabad intrigued me and so I started to do vichaar on the shabad and do some research, what I found is that there have been claims that Bhagat Jaidev jee promoted Yoga through his shabads, which is incorrect because Guru Naanak Saheb jee also writes a similar shabad in the same raag about haTh yoga and breathing techniques. This intrigued me even more and prompted me to read what Bhai Saaheb Singh has to say about this, which made alot more sense. I'm gonna post both the shabad by Bhagatjee followed by the shabad by Gurujee.

rwgu mwrU bwxI jYdyau jIau kI

raag maaroo banee jaiday-o jee-o kee

Raag Maaroo, The Word Of Jai Dayv Jee:

<> siqgur pRswid ]

ik-oNkaar satgur parsaad.

One Universal Creator God. By The Grace Of The True Guru:

cMd sq ByidAw nwd sq pUirAw sUr sq KoVsw dqu kIAw ]

chand sat bhaydi-aa naad sat poori-aa soor satkhorhsaa dat kee-aa.

The breath is drawn in through the left nostril; it is held in the central channel of the Sushmanaa, and exhaled through the right nostril, repeating the Lord's Name sixteen times.

Abl blu qoiVAw Acl clu QipAw AGVu GiVAw qhw Aipau pIAw ]1]

abal baltorhi-aa achal chal thapi-aa agharh gharhi-aatahaa api-o pee-aa. ||1||

I am powerless; my power has been broken. My unstable mind has been stabliized, and my unadorned soul has been adorned. I drink in the Ambrosial Nectar. ||1||

mn Awid gux Awid vKwixAw ]

man aad gun aad vakhaani-aa.

Within my mind, I chant the Name of the Primal Lord God, the Source of virtue.

qyrI duibDw idRsit sMmwinAw ]1] rhwau ]

tayree dubiDhaa darisat sammaani-aa. ||1|| rahaa-o.

My vision, that You are I are separate, has melted away. ||1||Pause||

AriD kau AriDAw sriD kau sriDAw sll kau slil sMmwin AwieAw ]

araDh ka-o arDhi-aa saraDh ka-o sarDhi-aa salal ka-o salal sammaan aa-i-aa.

I worship the One who is worthy of being worshipped. I trust the One who is worthy of being trusted. Like water merging in water, I merge in the Lord.

bdiq jYdyau jYdyv kau rMimAw bRhmu inrbwxu ilv lIxu pwieAw ]2]1

badat jaiday-o jaidayv ka-o rammi-aa barahm nirbaan liv leen paa-i-aa. ||2||1||

Says Jai Dayv, I meditate and contemplate the Luminous, Triumphant Lord. I am lovingly absorbed in the Nirvaanaa of God. ||2||1||

Related shabd by sache patshah Guru Naanak Saheb jee:

mwrU mhlw 1 ]

maaroo mehalaa 1 ||

Maaroo, First Mehla:

sUr sru sois lY som sru poiK lY jugiq kir mrqu su snbMDu kIjY ]

soor sar sos lai som sar pokh lai jugath kar marath s sanaba(n)dhh keejai ||

Heat up the sun energy of the right nostril, and cool down the moon energy of the left nostril; practicing this breath-control, bring them into perfect balance.

mIn kI cpl isau jugiq mnu rwKIAY aufY nh hMsu nh kMDu CIjY ]1]

meen kee chapal sio jugath man raakheeai ouddai neh ha(n)s neh ka(n)dhh shheejai ||1||

In this way, the fickle fish of the mind will be held steady; the swan-soul shall not fly away, and the body-wall will not crumble. ||1||

mUVy kwiecy Brim Bulw ]

moorrae kaaeichae bharam bhulaa ||

You fool, why are you deluded by doubt?

nh cIinAw prmwnµdu bYrwgI ]1] rhwau ]

neh cheeniaa paramaana(n)dh bairaagee ||1|| rehaao ||

You do not remember the detached Lord of supreme bliss. ||1||Pause||

Ajr ghu jwir lY Amr ghu mwir lY BRwiq qij Coif qau Aipau pIjY ]

ajar gahu jaar lai amar gahu maar lai bhraath thaj shhodd tho apio peejai ||

Seize and burn the unbearable; seize and kill the imperishable; leave behind your doubts, and then, you shall drink in the Nectar.

mIn kI cpl isau jugiq mnu rwKIAY aufY nh hMsu nh kMDu CIjY ]2]

meen kee chapal sio jugath man raakheeai ouddai neh ha(n)s neh ka(n)dhh shheejai ||2||

In this way, the fickle fish of the mind will be held steady; the swan-soul shall not fly away, and the body-wall shall not crumble. ||2||

Bxiq nwnku jno rvY jy hir mno mn pvn isau AMimRqu pIjY ]

bhanath naanak jano ravai jae har mano man pavan sio a(n)mrith peejai ||

Nanak humbly prays, if the Lord's humble servant dwells upon Him, in his mind of minds, with his every breath, then he drinks in the Ambrosial Nectar.

mIn kI cpl isau jugiq mnu rwKIAY aufY nh hMsu nh kMDu CIjY ]3]9]

meen kee chapal sio jugath man raakheeai ouddai neh ha(n)s neh ka(n)dhh shheejai ||3||9||

In this way, the fickle fish of the mind will be held steady; the swan-soul shall not fly away, and the body-wall shall not crumble. ||3||9||

This post is not to put down yoga but those who promote Yoga to be a part of Sikhi misuse and mis-pronounce the shabad by Bhagatjee. Guru Sahibans did not condemn Yoga. However, Yoga cannot be counted as a required ingredient in what makes a Sikh. Anyone who disputes this should first examine the history of the Ten Masters, or study Gurbani, like the shabd, "Paath purrhio ur beid beechario..." (Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, p.641-42). Just like hygiene, regular exercise, balanced diet, vitamins, Yoga is an activity that any sensible Sikh should explore and use, while being careful not to become obsessed with the bodily functions. For instance, a vegetarian diet, various simple forms of Pranayama, are very useful, and chastity is essential, to enable one for the higher energy of the Shabad. Guru Sahibans do not reject a healthy lifestyle through proper use of any science.

Yoga helps create clarity of mind and a healthy body. A Sikh is to be in a position to help and serve others and he/she must be ready, physically, mentally, spiritually. Yoga is not part of sikhi, its only a form of physical/mental exercise. Spiritually, the amount of gurbani/simran/seva you do will be your only support and not how much Yoga you practiced. In brief, you can practice Yoga to enhance your physical/mental fitness, but in no way does sikhi preach it to be a way to become one with akaal purkh.

Beloved of akaal purkh vaheguroo are not concerned with breathing techniques, advanced level yoga, or ridhi sidhi, they are in love and in tuned with akaal purkh vaheguroo through his creation. They are automatically blessed with these virtues by akaal purkh through love, humility, compassion, meditation. They understand hukam rajaaee chalna, that all is under the will and power of vaheguroo and that he controls everything so why try to control the breath, when its not in their control? They understand that he takes care of his creation and that he will provide them with nourishment and health.

This is my perception on the shabad, in the first two lines of the shabad by Guru Naanak Saheb he is saying, listen O' Yogi you tell me by:

"Heating up the sun energy of the right nostril, and cooling down the moon energy of the left nostril; practicing this breath-control, bringing them into perfect balance..."

"in this way, the fickle fish of the mind will be held steady; the swan-soul shall not fly away, and the body-wall will not crumble. ||1|| ?"

And then he answers no, you're wrong...

"You fool, why are you deluded by doubt?

You do not remember the detached Lord of supreme bliss. ||1||Pause||"

And then explain how to truly get in link with akaal purkh...

"Seize and burn the unbearable; seize and kill the imperishable; leave behind your doubts, and then, you shall drink in the Nectar."

"In this way, the fickle fish of the mind will be held steady; the swan-soul shall not fly away, and the body-wall shall not crumble. ||2||"

"Nanak humbly prays, if the Lord's humble servant dwells upon Him, in his mind of minds, with his every breath, then he drinks in the Ambrosial Nectar."

And then finishes by saying...

"In this way, the fickle fish of the mind will be held steady; the swan-soul shall not fly away, and the body-wall shall not crumble. ||3||9||"

So according to this shabad by controlling the breath and trying all sorts of techniques of meditation brings only but doubt, and that you need to have the qualities of a true soul bride of love, compassion, truth, etc. to do improve your jeevan and to get closer and linked with akaal purkh vaaheguroo, the true way is through seeing him everywhere and ever remembering his name. Bhul chuk muaaf karnee.

More evidence

ਸੂਹੀ ਮਹਲਾ ੧ ਘਰੁ ੭

Sūhī mėhlā 1 gẖar 7

Soohee, First Mehl, Seventh House:

ੴ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ॥

Ik▫oaʼnkār saṯgur parsāḏ.

One Universal Creator God. By The Grace Of The True Guru:

ਜੋਗੁ ਨ ਖਿੰਥਾ ਜੋਗੁ ਨ ਡੰਡੈ ਜੋਗੁ ਨ ਭਸਮ ਚੜਾਈਐ ॥

Jog na kẖinthā jog na dandai jog na bẖasam cẖaṛā▫ī▫ai.

Yoga is not the patched coat, Yoga is not the walking stick. Yoga is not smearing the body with ashes.

ਜੋਗੁ ਨ ਮੁੰਦੀ ਮੂੰਡਿ ਮੁਡਾਇਐ ਜੋਗੁ ਨ ਸਿੰਙੀ ਵਾਈਐ ॥

Jog na munḏī mūnd mudā▫i▫ai jog na sińī vā▫ī▫ai.

Yoga is not the ear-rings, and not the shaven head. Yoga is not the blowing of the horn.

ਅੰਜਨ ਮਾਹਿ ਨਿਰੰਜਨਿ ਰਹੀਐ ਜੋਗ ਜੁਗਤਿ ਇਵ ਪਾਈਐ ॥੧॥

Anjan māhi niranjan rahī▫ai jog jugaṯ iv pā▫ī▫ai. ||1||

Remaining unblemished in the midst of the filth of the world - this is the way to attain Yoga. ||1||

ਗਲੀ ਜੋਗੁ ਨ ਹੋਈ ॥

Galī jog na ho▫ī.

By mere words, Yoga is not attained.

ਏਕ ਦ੍ਰਿਸਟਿ ਕਰਿ ਸਮਸਰਿ ਜਾਣੈ ਜੋਗੀ ਕਹੀਐ ਸੋਈ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥

Ėk ḏarisat kar samsar jāṇai jogī kahī▫ai so▫ī. ||1|| rahā▫o.

One who looks upon all with a single eye, and knows them to be one and the same - he alone is known as a Yogi. ||1||Pause||

ਜੋਗੁ ਨ ਬਾਹਰਿ ਮੜੀ ਮਸਾਣੀ ਜੋਗੁ ਨ ਤਾੜੀ ਲਾਈਐ ॥

Jog na bāhar maṛī masāṇī jog na ṯāṛī lā▫ī▫ai.

Yoga is not wandering to the tombs of the dead; Yoga is not sitting in trances.

ਜੋਗੁ ਨ ਦੇਸਿ ਦਿਸੰਤਰਿ ਭਵਿਐ ਜੋਗੁ ਨ ਤੀਰਥਿ ਨਾਈਐ ॥

Jog na ḏes disanṯar bẖavi▫ai jog na ṯirath nā▫ī▫ai.

Yoga is not wandering through foreign lands; Yoga is not bathing at sacred shrines of pilgrimage.

ਅੰਜਨ ਮਾਹਿ ਨਿਰੰਜਨਿ ਰਹੀਐ ਜੋਗ ਜੁਗਤਿ ਇਵ ਪਾਈਐ ॥੨॥

Anjan māhi niranjan rahī▫ai jog jugaṯ iv pā▫ī▫ai. ||2||

Remaining unblemished in the midst of the filth of the world - this is the way to attain Yoga. ||2||

ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਭੇਟੈ ਤਾ ਸਹਸਾ ਤੂਟੈ ਧਾਵਤੁ ਵਰਜਿ ਰਹਾਈਐ ॥

Saṯgur bẖetai ṯā sahsā ṯūtai ḏẖāvaṯ varaj rahā▫ī▫ai.

Meeting with the True Guru, doubt is dispelled, and the wandering mind is restrained.

ਨਿਝਰੁ ਝਰੈ ਸਹਜ ਧੁਨਿ ਲਾਗੈ ਘਰ ਹੀ ਪਰਚਾ ਪਾਈਐ ॥

Nijẖar jẖarai sahj ḏẖun lāgai gẖar hī parcẖā pā▫ī▫ai.

Nectar rains down, celestial music resounds, and deep within, wisdom is obtained.

ਅੰਜਨ ਮਾਹਿ ਨਿਰੰਜਨਿ ਰਹੀਐ ਜੋਗ ਜੁਗਤਿ ਇਵ ਪਾਈਐ ॥੩॥

Anjan māhi niranjan rahī▫ai jog jugaṯ iv pā▫ī▫ai. ||3||

Remaining unblemished in the midst of the filth of the world - this is the way to attain Yoga. ||3||

ਨਾਨਕ ਜੀਵਤਿਆ ਮਰਿ ਰਹੀਐ ਐਸਾ ਜੋਗੁ ਕਮਾਈਐ ॥

Nānak jīvṯi▫ā mar rahī▫ai aisā jog kamā▫ī▫ai.

O Nanak, remain dead while yet alive - practice such a Yoga.

ਵਾਜੇ ਬਾਝਹੁ ਸਿੰਙੀ ਵਾਜੈ ਤਉ ਨਿਰਭਉ ਪਦੁ ਪਾਈਐ ॥

vāje bājẖahu sińī vājai ṯa▫o nirbẖa▫o paḏ pā▫ī▫ai.

When the horn is blown without being blown, then you shall attain the state of fearless dignity.

ਅੰਜਨ ਮਾਹਿ ਨਿਰੰਜਨਿ ਰਹੀਐ ਜੋਗ ਜੁਗਤਿ ਤਉ ਪਾਈਐ ॥੪॥੧॥੮॥

Anjan māhi niranjan rahī▫ai jog jugaṯ ṯa▫o pā▫ī▫ai. ||4||1||8||

Remaining unblemished in the midst of the filth of the world - this is the way to attain Yoga. ||4||1||8||