Sikhs Marrying Their Own Cousins

Update:

Link 1: http://www.krepublishers.com/02-Journals/J...179-Wahab-A.pdf

ABSTRACT Marriages among the Sikh minority of the Districts of Swat, Bunair and Shangla (NWFP, Pakistan) were

studied where the frequency of consanguineous marriages was found to be 21%. Marriages with distant relatives were

29.4% in the population. The inbreeding coefficient for the population was calculated to be 0.0127. Only three types

of first cousin marriages (MSD, MBD and FSD) were recorded. Marriage with father’s brother’s daughter (FBD) was

not found in the population studied. Mean inbreeding coefficient was higher for the low socioeconomic group

(0.0181) and lower for the high socioeconomic group (0.0125). The trends of marriages of the minority Sikhs and

majority Pukhtun populations are mostly similar. An increase in the incidence of consanguineous marriages over the

years has been observed. The per cent frequencies of premature mortality and abnormality among the offspring of

consanguineously married couples are higher as compared to those among the offspring of non-consanguineously

married couples.

Link 2: http://www.tribuneindia.com/2003/20030412/windows/main1.htm

Child marriage is prevalent among both Hindus and Sikhs in Pakistan. Charanjit Singh from Peshawar said due to the marginal strength of both communities, they are compelled to marry their children with cousins. The scope of marriages could be broadened if both India and Pakistan allowed their Hindus and Sikhs to get married in each other’s countries.

it might seem odd but it happens i know lots of ppl who have done that...

the funny part is they are all from around delhi area

strange, are they sikhs?

because the best rehnsbahi's happen in Delhi :D

yes they are sikh to tell u the truth i know this because one of my own friends at baru sahiib

her dadi and nani were both sisters

and her mom and dad both married eachother and her masi and chacha both married eachother too

kinda wierd but true

it might seem odd but it happens i know lots of ppl who have done that...

the funny part is they are all from around delhi area

strange, are they sikhs?

because the best rehnsbahi's happen in Delhi :D

yes they are sikh to tell u the truth i know this because one of my own friends at baru sahiib

and her mom and dad both married eachother and her masi and chacha both married eachother too

kinda wierd but true

Indeed, some within the Punjabis also marry within their own... They are Khatris (or Bhapas)... There is a big chance that those inter-familial marriages in Delhi where of Khatris, because except them and Pakistani and Afghani Sikhs, I dont see any Punjabi marrying within their own family, as it is a kind of taboo.

Bhul Chuk Maaf,

WJKK WJKF

kinda wierd but true

im confused, but it sounds really screwed up.

Is this true about Afghan Sikhs??

Or just caste based mud slinging?

There are very few Afghan Sikhs in East London (some but not that much compared to the west.

I think if it is true then it may be a case of Afghan Sikhs adopted the normalised practices of the Muslim majority over the centuries. But did someone say this was common in Indian based Arora/Khatri etc. Sikhs?

This is strange. But it must be a new thing. I read Prem Sumarag and it laid out the rules and was specifically against this type of stuff.

Please don't turn this into "bruaah main jaat aaan!!" nonsense by the way. Singh and ting.

Waheguru!

My Father is Arora and mother khatri.It happened a lot in both the families.I was raised with beleif that marrying mother's side is totally allowed.All ladies Like bhua ,chachi of my family unanimously agree's with it.

Yes - it seems to be a Western thing (ie West of Chenab upto Afghanistan). Many khatri Sikhs in those regions do intermarry - partially due to the small numbers in places and partially due to tradition. This is why many Bhappe and Afghan Sikhs do it - it is well known fact, and also explains the high number of genetic diseases found in these populations.

Jat Sikhs do not marry anyone in the same village, gauths of Dadke, dhadhi, nanke, nani's, their respective villages or do wata sata (eg if your sister marries into a family, you do not take a wife from their family).