Why Have Bssf When We Have Boss

Into the Light

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bhai Gagandip Singh Ji

An element of the questions and views being posted may be a result of a lack of transparency and probity required in any public service bodies such as BSSF which you are establishing.

What concerns me are the following points:

• An initial meeting has been held in Woolwich but this was not widely publicised to ensure a diverse and representative attendance
  • There is no transparency as to the 15 individuals who attended
  • Your next meeting does not have the time it will start or the hall it will be in
  • It is not clear as to who is welcome at the meeting below i.e. is it an open invitation
  • What will be the criteria and procedure be or selecting the interim committee?

I perceive that a greater degree of transparency will assist in fostering support for this new body.

BRITISH SIKH STUDENT FEDERATION

After a successful first meeting at Woolwich Singh Sabha Gurdwara Sahib in Woolwich, South East London, we have decide to hold our next meeting at Guru Nanak Gurdwara, Sedgley Street, Wolverhampton.

Date: 01/02/2009

Location: Guru Nanak Gurdwara, Sedgley Street, Wolverhampton.

In this meeting we will discuss and finalise the below mentioned points:

• Review of the 4-point plan that was passed at the last meeting by the 15 attending members.
  • Finalise date and location of launch event in March.
  • Finalise Speakers and programme for March launch.
  • Declare which Gurdwara have shown interest and support, plus where support can be gained.
  • Set up a interim committee to officially run Federation affairs until a proper leadership structure is agreed upon.

Paaji, maybe you should check out and speak with the Young Sikhs team.. seems like it would better to join with an already established organisation who have a VERY SIMILAR mission statement/aim, rather than setting up a whole new organisation?

...?

Our Initial Mission Statement -

Mod Note: Could users please refrain from re-quoting such a long post, there are rules in place that specify what the appropriate length of thread should be. This makes it difficult for people to read replies and also wastes alot of space. Thanks.

BRITISH SIKH STUDENT FEDERATION

After a successful first meeting at Woolwich Singh Sabha Gurdwara Sahib in Woolwich, South East London, we have decide to hold our next meeting at -

Date: 01/02/2009

Time: 2pm

In this meeting we will discuss and finalise the below mentioned points:

1. Review of the 4-point plan that was passed at the last meeting by the 15 attending members.

2. Finalise date and location of launch event in March.

3. Finalise Speakers and programme for March launch.

4. Declare which Gurdwara have shown interest and support, plus where support can be gained.

5. Set up a interim committee to officially run Federation affairs until a proper leadership structure is agreed upon.

Please do attend and bring friends with yourself.

All are invited, open invitation to sikh sangat.

Other issues can also be discussed once the inital meeting requirement have been met.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh,

We founded the idea of a British Sikh Student Federation, after a large number of sikh youth were complaining about not having a voice within the panth or in British society.

We spent over 6 months talking to people and yes, some did suggest joining BOSS, but many also said that they wouldn't work with us of we joined BOSS.

I dont mean to criticise Boss, they have been around for a long time, and i would assume that they have done some good work in that time.

We dont intend to compete or overtake, we just want to raise the voice of the sikh student/youth population in Britian within the panth (through gurdwara's) and British society.

Once we are fully operational, we would hope to have a dedicated Media team that gets our message across, be it hate crimes against sikh youth in USA, France Turban Ban, Punjab Issues, and general student/youth concerns.

NOTE: At our first meeting, we decided to allow all members to follow any panthic maryada of their choice and not just one particular Jatha (group).

Contraversional issues such as Khalistan and Sant Bhindranwale's Shaheedi are also left to the personal opinions of each person and you are not forced to believe one particular view point.

Nice to see the debate on BSSF.

Please do let us know if we are doing anything wrong as this is your own Student Federation.

yeah but did you actually approach them with regards to working together????

U havent answered the question???

Sorry, the above reply was to a different question.

I dont wish to get into criticism of other groups, but we want a totally independent student body.

Young Sikhs UK, was set up by the Sikh Federation UK, a respectable organistion, but Young Sikhs UK is a youth wing of the Sikh Federation Uk and is not toally independent.

* An initial meeting has been held in Woolwich but this was not widely publicised to ensure a diverse and representative attendance

* There is no transparency as to the 15 individuals who attended

* Your next meeting does not have the time it will start or the hall it will be in

* It is not clear as to who is welcome at the meeting below i.e. is it an open invitation

* What will be the criteria and procedure be or selecting the interim committee?

1. We wanted to get something done and get under way. We didnt use to many marketing tools, just FB, HI5, MYSPACE, MASS EMAILING, NETWORKING, AND WORK OF MOUTH. That's maybe why you did hear about our first meeting in december 2008.

2. We invited a large number of people, (50-70ish) but for one reason or another most couldn;t attend. It was just a starter meeting. Please do come to next meeting posted on previous replies.

3. Sorry, that was posted afterwards - 2pm in main diwan hall or private building near gurdwara if gurdwara has problem.

4. All are welcome, open invitation.

5. This will be finalised at meeting. - we hope to start with just a basic committee, before declaring a fully operational regional/departmental committee covering all areas.

I think alot of the aims we are reading won't get done without team effort...