In Order To Attract More Non-sikhs To Sikhism, Sikhs Will Have To Modernize

catsagdn

I wasn't attracted by any mere 'marketing' campaign but that of God's blessings, will and witnessing the love and humility of his sikhs.

Sikhism isn't about size, i'd rather see a handful of true sikhs than a globe of so called followers.

For the jewel of sikhi and that of the naam is so precious and so rare - how can it be tarnished?

We have witnessed the effects of global religions e.g. Christianity etc. with the essence of truth being distorted, hence the need for sikhi.

I would rather die than for this beautiful path to have so many 'followers' it becomes corrupt.

Let God stage his player of believers and non-believers - it is amazing!

Vaaheguroo Jee Kaa Khaalsaa Vaaheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!

In order to attract people to sikhi, we need to follow what our guru sahibs tought, then the whole world we be sikh.

Kirat karni

Naam Japna

Vandh ke Shakna

Where is all the humility, caring, love, humbleness that sikhs are meant to have.

To the topic starter a pangti can be said.

Koi virla gurmat khaleh jeo.

We dont want numbers, dont need them, 1 Khalsa can counter for 125.000 others. But becoming that khalsa is the main and only objective.

Correct me if im wrong, but didnt 40 sikhs fight 1000000 - its written in the zafarnamah.

khalsa is unique. We are in kaljug.

sad thing is, theres only a handful maybe, of singhs that are around like that today, whereas before in history they were all like that, nowadays theres very very very few, i think most people wouldnt be able to name many..

In order to attract people to sikhi, we need to follow what our guru sahibs tought, then the whole world we be sikh.

Kirat karni

Naam Japna

Vandh ke Shakna

Where is all the humility, caring, love, humbleness that sikhs are meant to have.

To the topic starter a pangti can be said.

Koi virla gurmat khaleh jeo.

We dont want numbers, dont need them, 1 Khalsa can counter for 125.000 others. But becoming that khalsa is the main and only objective.

Correct me if im wrong, but didnt 40 sikhs fight 1000000 - its written in the zafarnamah.

khalsa is unique. We are in kaljug.

sad thing is, theres only a handful maybe, of singhs that are around like that today, whereas before in history they were all like that, nowadays theres very very very few, i think most people wouldnt be able to name many..

Modernising we always should strive for in the upkeep of humanity for example medicine, science, facilities, transport etc etc. these things being modernised are a good and positive action because they address the basic and functional needs of society and humanity as a whole. Sikhi however cannot be modernised simply because it is beyond human comprehension as it is. For example in Gurbani it explains only the creator knows the secrets of his own, be it creation or evolution. We cannot modernise something that is limitless and infinite because we a humans naturally try to define and better things we cannot define something that is beyond our comprehension and the scope of our definition. Like life it is beyond meaning you cannot pin it down and try to define it, it’s a hopeless task. A Sikh is a conscious being who chooses the path not because he is born as one and not because his ancestors were also Sikhs because simply he or she accepts the method and it’s practice as a tool for betterment of the travel ahead. In a Sikhs life freedom of actions is celebrated there is no prohibitions the Sikh lives life consciously and in awareness they choose to or not to. The Sikh is not a conformer to modernising of marketing people like sheep and conforming to popular opinion.

Guest fordcapri

Lest deal with topic "Replying to In Order To Attract More Non-sikhs To Sikhism, Sikhs Will Have To Modernize"

"modernize" is the key word of action here yeh ??

Modernize means a new theory or practice which is better than the old one ?? so what are u suggesting we do.

One thing which needs modernizeing is the language in which Sikhi is preached, Sikhi cant be soley spoken about in Punjabi, Sikhi

is a Universial so has to be spoken about in various of language.

Sad to report from going Gurdawra for many years i didnt learn the amout i should have i learnt more out side speaking to people and reaserach.

many people are saying that it would be better to have 20 true sikhs than 20 million fake sikhs. i couldnt agree more. but wouldnt it be even better if we had 200 million great practicing sikhs? a candle could stay lit in the wind for as long as there is wick to burn, but if it is blown out once the wick will not light itself again.

• 13 years later...
On 1/16/2009 at 12:00 PM, catsagdn said:

If Sikhism is ever to spread beyond the 20 million Punjabis who are Sikhs then Sikhism will have to change dramatically. For example, the discarding of the archaic beard and turban will be a major step in marketing the Sikh faith. Since the vast majority of people around the world (including Sikhs) do not wear beards and turbans Sikhism will be in a great spot to get rid of them permanently. Besides, why would anyone interested in becoming a Sikh want to wear them anyway??????? :rolleyes:

world wide population of sikhs is around 29 million  including now many non punjabi sikhs , that is without 'modernisation' and those hippy dippy folks who became sikhs to exploit daswand of the 'lower class' brown sikhs have now started to abandon sikhi because what they were sold as sikhi was nothing like the real deal . Even socalled white sikhs who waved the sikhi flag for their own pockets have abandoned their sikhi saroop and denounced their loyalty to sikhi values. Just look at 3HO/ Sikhnet baba  Gurmustak Singh  he now has announced that he doesn't believe in the aims of sikhi . Let everyone know to withdraw their daswand and distance themselves from their products including sikiwiki . 

Sikhi is the perfect vehicle as it seperates the men from the boys as they say , because it has known values and behaviours and a bana which makes the sikh distinct so life awkward for bhekhi ones .

I believe you have a personal vendetta against sikhi as every DM dropped so far by you tries to unermine faith in sikh appearence . Now it is the main gateway to amrit , just go take your theories and bye!

On 1/16/2009 at 4:13 PM, Dukh Nivaran said:

During Christian Missionaries only 400 Sikhs were left

grow up and stop lying , only 3 people converted which triggered sikhs of that time to start maximising sikhi parchar under singh sabha movement . Now where is the Anglican Church built in Amritsar and the fake claims of the christians of tht era that sikhi would be gone in a decade ??? both are distant memories  crushed in the dust by Satguru himself .