Gurbani In Newspapers!?!?!?!?

ms514

Sat Sri Akal:

Gurbani is knowledge. True. Paper is simply its physical form. True.

Now here's the kicker. We bow to Guru Granth Sahib, we make a Darbar Hall fit for a King for it, and through it we hope to gain salvation. But if the same knowledge is embodied on newspaper, thrown to a curb, and used as bird toilet paper, we should be okay with it? How would any of us here feel if someone tore out a page of the Guru Granth Sahib and used it to line bird cages?

I understand your opinion SikhforLife, but the key word here is respect. Newspapers are NOT treated with respect. Wedding cards are NOT treated with respect. Whatever little Gurbani I have read has led me to believe that Gurbani should not be treated like common trash and should be only published if it will be treated with respect ie. in Gurkas and Guru Granth Sahib birs.

I remember Sant Jarnail Singh. He would talk openly of fellow Sikhs being tortured and murdered. He did not shed a tear when he recounted these details about our Shaheed Sikhs. But when he talked of the Guru Granth Sahib being burned, it was the only time that Sant Sahib shed tears. He gave it that much respect.

Perhaps I am making too much out of this. But it weighs on my heart.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SikhForLife

veerji i understand what ur saying

and trust me.. ive sggs in my home.. and its gets the utmost respect!!!!!!!

all i am saying is.. how can someone disrespect the knowledge! the Truth!.. its beyond such things

sikhforlife

calm down buddy I had to delete your post, because it was waaaaaay out of context

You said that you heard from some Gursikhs that you shouldn't respect a piece of paper with Gurbani on it, that is foolish no matter how big of a sant or gursikh you are, whoever tells you that is a FOOL.

You are entitled to your opinion, but there's always a right or wrong answer to every question. I understand your view that its just paper, and its the words that we should keep in our heart.

But this is not just any piece of writing, that someone just picked up a kalam(pen) and started to write what came to mind.

These words are of Waheguru himself, and if we can't respect his bachan then we are fools ourselves. It is physical proof!!!!!!!! We must respect it or else get :g lol jk

Cheer up bro, there's no need to hate. rolleyes.gif

WJKK WJKFateh!~

Guest SikhForLife

veerji. i was never mad.. just a bit disappointed that someone deleted my post without discussing what i meant by it......

.. to tell u the truth.. i would never use a paper with gurbani on it to do some of the things described above..

heres the link to the other thread wher i asked a similar question

http://forums.waheguroo.com/index.ppa?act=...=140&hl=dispose

"how to dispose of gurbani..." is the title

----------------------

but ive been thinking.. and i asked a lot of ppl.. katha vaachaks... highly educated gurmat class teachers.. and they ve told me its ok to throw it in the river.. or burry it in the ground.. or burn it.. and some of em even said .. just treat it like any paper...

their reason: cuz look at the bigger picture - God is everywhere in every being.. and the paper merges with everything around us

we have respect for the knowledge and we try to follow it... and thats what is important...

sggs is a knowledge (shabd?) guru.. knowledge is our guru.. not the physical form

btw: on the other thread..we didnt reach to a solution.. so maybe in this we can reach some common ground

and also.. i never said whoever told me that is utmost authority and neither am i or u

i throw out different views.. (as u may already know) just to see where the truth lies

I somehow think that there should be no restriction against the publishing of sikh gurbani scriptures on newspaper.. This is the only way to reach the mass sangat..

One thing we can do is that to urge newspaper editors to put a lil NOTE at the bottom or at the top of the article "Pls respect Gurbani scripture published in this newspaper by not throwing them along with other garbage of your household " and stuff like that.. U know that way i think it's cool... Also reminds the desi janta to respect sikhi gurbani words...

:D

this topic is indeed very important. We all need to learn what needs respect.

its not the physical form but the knowledge one should respect..

we dont worship guru granth sahib physically.. we respect its knowledge..

"Guru Granth Ji manero pargat guraa ki deh"

If we cannot respect the physical form, I'm afriad we'll ever be able to respect that eternal form. No one really knows how to respect Akaal in his original roop. All we have is his Jot - Satguru Granth Sahib ji.

If we don't respect Guru Sahib's physical roop, why do we put chandoa on Guru Sahib's palki? Why do we even have a Palki Sahib? Why do we put Guru Sahib's suroop on a higher place and have ourselves sit lower?

we can keep on collecting gurbani lines from wedding cards.. or other newspapers.. but if we dont even know what its saying then what kind of respect are we giving it?

? That's not even related to what we are discussing here.

all i am saying is.. how can someone disrespect the knowledge! the Truth!.. its beyond such things

Perhaps what Naamdharis, Narak vaale Nirankaris, Radha de swamis, Noor Mehlis and so many others are doing is not disrespect according to your definition.

bhull chukk maff karni, but I truly think that there's nothing wrong in publishing baani in newspapers or books UNLESS it is not being taken care of afterwards, and there's really no way of having total control over what people do with that piece of paper afterwards.

vaaheguru ji ka khalsa vaaheguru ji ki fateh

One thing we can do is that to urge newspaper editors to put a lil NOTE at the bottom or at the top of the article "Pls respect Gurbani scripture published in this newspaper by not throwing them along with other garbage of your household " and stuff like that.. U know that way i think it's cool... Also reminds the desi janta to respect sikhi gurbani words...

VERY GOOD....!!! i agree....maybe it would be better to have Gurbani / Hukamnamas or Sikh related sections in a different corner....which is like specially noted...and distributed with plastic cover on it.....maybe this is much respect....but in the minds of Gursikhs nothing is enough... :D so what ever we do to respect we could think of more....and than more and more and more....and sadly it becomes a ritual.....BUT RESPECT THE BANI!!!

Guest SikhForLife

we can keep on collecting gurbani lines from wedding cards.. or other newspapers.. but if we dont even know what its saying then what kind of respect are we giving it?

? That's not even related to what we are discussing here.
what..! its related.. and pretty straight forward man...

if u respect Gurbani u will read it.. because thats what Gurbani says

If we don't respect Guru Sahib's physical roop, why do we put chandoa on Guru Sahib's palki? Why do we even have a Palki Sahib?

then maybe we should put all our Gutkas and papers with gurbani on it in the same fashion.. if we are to respect the physical form

i just think we should emphasise more on respecting the knowledge... by reading and following it...

whoever treats the newspaper wrong would pay the consequences but if u respect it the way you believe you should than you'll benefit so actually i think it's okay to have the hukamnama in the paper because some people will get something good from it while if it was not there nobody gets anything.