Are There Tables And Chairs In Any Gurdwaras Outside Of Bc, Canada?

Guest _SinghSingh_

I just came across this, and its really disheartening to see how we as individuals believe we are in the right to change the traditions of our ancestors.

Understandable; horse to car, candles to lightbulb

But to make chairs and tables wasn't an ancient invention, guru sahibs at there time of physcial life they had all the means to create vasts amounts of tables and chairs. But why didn't they? I have no expert knowledge but just gathering some other aspects of sikhi, i believe eating is a form of meditation as well, the ideal way of doing bhagti is to sit in that lotus position; on a side note - not saying its not possible to stand up and do simran as guru sahib states that any way is possible, however the ideal way is in that lotus position.

We forget that this langar is not ours for the taking, we are given this opportunity to have a free meal. Its not like we are paying to get the meal from guru ji are we? If we're not paying for it, might as well follow the rules on how to eat if their are any.

The reason why the first BC gurdwara established tables and chairs was because of the cold. This is dating back to the early years of the 1900s. The Akal Takht had given permission to the sangat of BC to place tables in the langar halls because it was too cold to sit down on the floors. Keep in mind this is before the system of heaters, remember early 1900s.

However an exception was made only because of the extreme winters of Canada. Now that we have the technology to be warm and not get our bums frozen while sitting, there is no need for those chairs. Years later after the incidents occured I believe the Akal Takht has issued that no chairs and tables be placed in gurdwaras - correct me if i'm wrong.

But in the end of the day, none of us are at a position to change the tradtions of guru ji. Here's a question; Aren't we living a life to mimick our guru ji's to the fullest potential? Why not do almost everything they did in the fashion that they did it in.

I just came across this, and its really disheartening to see how we as individuals believe we are in the right to change the traditions of our ancestors.

Understandable; horse to car, candles to lightbulb

But to make chairs and tables wasn't an ancient invention, guru sahibs at there time of physcial life they had all the means to create vasts amounts of tables and chairs. But why didn't they? I have no expert knowledge but just gathering some other aspects of sikhi, i believe eating is a form of meditation as well, the ideal way of doing bhagti is to sit in that lotus position; on a side note - not saying its not possible to stand up and do simran as guru sahib states that any way is possible, however the ideal way is in that lotus position.

We forget that this langar is not ours for the taking, we are given this opportunity to have a free meal. Its not like we are paying to get the meal from guru ji are we? If we're not paying for it, might as well follow the rules on how to eat if their are any.

The reason why the first BC gurdwara established tables and chairs was because of the cold. This is dating back to the early years of the 1900s. The Akal Takht had given permission to the sangat of BC to place tables in the langar halls because it was too cold to sit down on the floors. Keep in mind this is before the system of heaters, remember early 1900s.

However an exception was made only because of the extreme winters of Canada. Now that we have the technology to be warm and not get our bums frozen while sitting, there is no need for those chairs. Years later after the incidents occured I believe the Akal Takht has issued that no chairs and tables be placed in gurdwaras - correct me if i'm wrong.

But in the end of the day, none of us are at a position to change the tradtions of guru ji. Here's a question; Aren't we living a life to mimick our guru ji's to the fullest potential? Why not do almost everything they did in the fashion that they did it in.

why can individuals not be free to make these choices? your post is all about interpretation, are others not free to interpret things differently? our lives are nothing like to guru lived. we still have wood burning stoves, why do we use gas and electric. you talk about extreme cold, didnt they have wood burning stoves in them days? do you think it was correct that people were killed over this matter?

so why is it sensible to use tables and chairs, geo? do guests in your house cover their heads?

it is sensible because that is the optimum way to consume food in comfort. all of this stuff that you talk about is not looking at the big picture. the guru's would want us to progress and embrace modern technologies and indeed invent them.

some people say that guru ji could have made lots of tables and chairs if he wanted, yes this is true. is it not also true that with all his powers and intelligence guru ji could have invented light bulbs, cars, speakers, microphones. i think yes, but it is something he chose not to do for that age and left it for other people to discover and use themselves. i say the same goes for mass produced cheap chairs and tables these days. it could also be said that perhaps guru ji thought the money and resources would be better spent on feeding the poor and spreading his message. people at home used to eat on the floor same as in the langar of those days, it was to force even the kings to sit on the floor which would have been a great gesture for them to have to do. we now all have chairs at home and work so this is not really an issue. of greater importance is the inequality in the caste system which so many so called "sikhs" have not abolished. it is not simple enough to do nothing, you must do something to abolish this

it is sensible because that is the optimum way to consume food in comfort. all of this stuff that you talk about is not looking at the big picture. the guru's would want us to progress and embrace modern technologies and indeed invent them.

and your proof of that is? you have no evidence that sitting on a chair is better than sitting on the floor. according to your reasoning we should get industrial dishwashers for cleaning all the langar utensils and catering staff from a company to provide the food.

some people say that guru ji could have made lots of tables and chairs if he wanted, yes this is true. is it not also true that with all his powers and intelligence guru ji could have invented light bulbs, cars, speakers, microphones. i think yes, but it is something he chose not to do for that age and left it for other people to discover and use themselves. i say the same goes for mass produced cheap chairs and tables these days. it could also be said that perhaps guru ji thought the money and resources would be better spent on feeding the poor and spreading his message. people at home used to eat on the floor same as in the langar of those days, it was to force even the kings to sit on the floor which would have been a great gesture for them to have to do. we now all have chairs at home and work so this is not really an issue. of greater importance is the inequality in the caste system which so many so called "sikhs" have not abolished. it is not simple enough to do nothing, you must do something to abolish this

so wouldnt it be better to use the money to help the poor rather than buy tables and chairs? or donate the tables and chairs to charities and hostels for the less fortunate? it seems that people with your attitude have become like the pompous kings of our guru's time. also what about those in the developing world who sit on the floor, and dont have anything to eat? do you consider yourself higher than others?

and your proof of that is? you have no evidence that sitting on a chair is better than sitting on the floor. according to your reasoning we should get industrial dishwashers for cleaning all the langar utensils and catering staff from a company to provide the food.

so wouldnt it be better to use the money to help the poor rather than buy tables and chairs? or donate the tables and chairs to charities and hostels for the less fortunate? it seems that people with your attitude have become like the pompous kings of our guru's time. also what about those in the developing world who sit on the floor, and dont have anything to eat? do you consider yourself higher than others?

i dont consider myself higher or lower than anyone. what proof do you have that sitting on the floor is better for consumption of food? it is much cheaper to have tables and chairs now than it was in past times realatively speaking. in my opinion people should stop looking backwards and look forwards instead. by all means sit on the floor and eat in your gurdwara in you wish. if people in our local gurdwara wish to sit on chairs and eat on tables then please let us do so in peace

but why should what you do at home be reflected in the gurudwara? do all guests at your house have to cover their heads?

it was not the only reason i gave. it is the most sensible way to eat the langar in my opinion

AHA!! here is where youve shown your pinhead idiocy!! langar is there foreveryone. poor or rich, where everyone can sit together as EQUALS and eat together. even great emporers who came to visit Guru Ji had to sit on the floor alongside beggers. and Guru Ji also sat with them. by sitting on a chair in the langar sahib you are promoting the fact that you think you are above everyone else. you sit on the floor showning yourself to be low. if for thousands and thousands of years, yogis have taught us to sit on the floor (and this after learning and studying for many years), whhat kind of chittar are you to come along and say "o i think sitting on a chair would b better".

but why should what you do at home be reflected in the gurudwara? do all guests at your house have to cover their heads?

it was not the only reason i gave. it is the most sensible way to eat the langar in my opinion

AHA!! here is where youve shown your pinhead idiocy!! langar is there foreveryone. poor or rich, where everyone can sit together as EQUALS and eat together. even great emporers who came to visit Guru Ji had to sit on the floor alongside beggers. and Guru Ji also sat with them. by sitting on a chair in the langar sahib you are promoting the fact that you think you are above everyone else. you sit on the floor showning yourself to be low. if for thousands and thousands of years, yogis have taught us to sit on the floor (and this after learning and studying for many years), whhat kind of chittar are you to come along and say "o i think sitting on a chair would b better".

for that reason do you promote banning chairs all together? yogis may well teach many things, who is to say that they are correct?

have a quick look at this:

http://relaxation-with-me.blogspot.com/200...-thanks-to.html

it is not proven that sitting on the floor is good for health or posture.