Inter Racial Relationships ...........

adina

[quote

WAIT !

lol

does this mean boyfrnds ar allowed?

adina jee you need to read the entire paragraphs i wrote ,and not nit pick .i am trying to state the bigger picture in my post .i am not here to try to define whether the person you get married should be ''fixed '' for you or whether its someone you get to know . Who knows the magical twists and turns that God can trigger for a relationship to start and end up as a marriage ,unless life is nothing but a strict set of rules you follow robotically .A bf may be just a guy you get to know,where the friendship develops to be husband and wife .My post is there to answer the original question mentioned in this post ,not to compromise or promote any sort of anti-gurmat licenstious /promiscuous behaviour .The intention of my post is to inspire youths to think along gurmat lines ,and i hope thats what you derived from my post if you read it line by line .We are not here to just argue ,debate with one another showing off our debating skills ,egoistically .We are here to inspire each other ,learn from each other ,and interact with each other humbly .opinions can be endlessly debated upon but truth is realised by dwelling on other's wisdom ,thinking out of the box a bit ,and stretching your imagination a bit as well as allowing others to touch your passion and your heart .Idont contribute on this forum to demonstrate my intellectual skills with an over alert ego waiting to pounch on the tiniest thing i can find wrong with someone else's contribution .Rather ,i read carefully what you or others may write and create a mental picture of what a blessed and inspired sikh you are ,and the insights Gurujee has given you or others .This forum is here for us to get passionate about sikhi ,to be able to see sikhi beyond the narrow parochial interpretations it has been given in the past ,to be fired up about sikhi ,to let sikhi shine ablaze in our hearts .my every contribution is an endeavour in that direction as to what can i write that will inspire both me and others to love sikhi ,and see it as a relevant force in our lifes .Sikhi is definately not about getting panic attacks over every tiny thing another can write that does not fit into your convenient orderly arrangement of words and sentences that are politically correct in your mind .it is the content of my post that you need to focus on ,not a random word i may have loosely used (relative in its meaning)to share what i consider is gurmat .

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote

WAIT !

lol

does this mean boyfrnds ar allowed?

adina jee you need to read the entire paragraphs i wrote ,and not nit pick .i am trying to state the bigger picture in my post .i am not here to try to define whether the person you get married should be ''fixed '' for you or whether its someone you get to know . Who knows the magical twists and turns that God can trigger for a relationship to start and end up as a marriage ,unless life is nothing but a strict set of rules you follow robotically .A bf may be just a guy you get to know,where the friendship develops to be husband and wife .My post is there to answer the original question mentioned in this post ,not to compromise or promote any sort of anti-gurmat licenstious /promiscuous behaviour .The intention of my post is to inspire youths to think along gurmat lines ,and i hope thats what you derived from my post if you read it line by line .We are not here to just argue ,debate with one another showing off our debating skills ,egoistically .We are here to inspire each other ,learn from each other ,and interact with each other humbly .opinions can be endlessly debated upon but truth is realised by dwelling on other's wisdom ,thinking out of the box a bit ,and stretching your imagination a bit as well as allowing others to touch your passion and your heart .Idont contribute on this forum to demonstrate my intellectual skills with an over alert ego waiting to pounch on the tiniest thing i can find wrong with someone else's contribution .Rather ,i read carefully what you or others may write and create a mental picture of what a blessed and inspired sikh you are ,and the insights Gurujee has given you or others .This forum is here for us to get passionate about sikhi ,to be able to see sikhi beyond the narrow parochial interpretations it has been given in the past ,to be fired up about sikhi ,to let sikhi shine ablaze in our hearts .my every contribution is an endeavour in that direction as to what can i write that will inspire both me and others to love sikhi ,and see it as a relevant force in our lifes .Sikhi is definately not about getting panic attacks over every tiny thing another can write that does not fit into your convenient orderly arrangement of words and sentences that are politically correct in your mind .it is the content of my post that you need to focus on ,not a random word i may have loosely used (relative in its meaning)to share what i consider is gurmat .

sorry veer ji........ i had no intention watsoever of doing that

sorry if i offended u

Guru Nanak said man are all brothers. Race doesn't matter, we are all from the human race anyway, we are all homo sapiens. Dark coloured peoples skin evolved in hot climates, where they needed more protection from the sun, thats why their skin is dark. White people lived in regions where the sun wasn't that strong, so they evolved a skin with a light pigment, to make it easier to absorb, vitamin d from the sun.

Thats why if white people go to a hot country they are more likely to get sun burnt, but if a dark person goes, to a cold country, they may get bone diseases and suffer from malnutrition. That is the only reason why we have different skin colour, but we are the same race, whether you are white, brown or black. It is not like we are a sub species of human, we are all human. Infact when you go to a hot country you tan anyway, so you become more darker, and if you go somewhere cold, your skin will get lighter.

I think for a Sikh, they should only get married to another sikh regardless of skin colour, or someone who is getting into Sikhi.

The purpose for getting married, is to create more life, any other desires are wrong.

If you want to find a soul mate, well the only soul mate is God.

Few points I would like to humbly submit:

1 - Lets look at our Guru's as role models - they didn't arrange their own marriages - their marriages were arranged by their paretns and unquestionably accepted by Guru Sahiban.

2 - Guru Gobind Singh has given hukum for all men to treat all women as either a mother, sister or daughter (dependant on age) - outside of his spouse. Same is obviously true for women. This negates BF and GF scenario.

3 - All puratan rehit-namai give instruction to parents for marrying their children - not for people to marry themselves.

4 - Someone here said "One can not love the creator without loving her creation."

Sacred laavan make it clear that before one can develop true love for creation i.e. for a spouse, one must develop true love for the real groom -Vaheguru. By default, when we are married to Vaheguru - we automatically see his light in all - including that who we are to be married to.

5 - I have heard jaath mentioned here also. I would like to say, that all our Guru's were married within their Khatri jaath by their parents. This has nothing to do with the caste disrcimination - but rather accepting the parents wishes - who after God, are to be given utmost satkaar. If parents are happy to marry into other castes then all fine and good, esp in west where minimal cultural and social differences remain (even Punjab this is becoming true).

6 - If one wants to find their own partner, then one should get aagya from their parents 1st, if they accept then with their blessing find a suitable Sikh partner. Don't forget, that in civilised western societies, a man will 1st ask the girls Father for persmission to date.

Bottom line is that race does not matter, if it doesn't matter to parents. If one is Amritdhari and parents are giving trouble re not finding an Amritdhari boy - then one should approach Gur-Pita Svaroop of Panj Pyare for advice/help.

Lastly, I would like to relate the below Sakhi of the virtuos and devoted Bibi Rajni:

Bibi Rajni Ji

In the era of Guru Ram Das, one cannot leave out Rajni, youngest daughter of Rai

Duni Chand, revenue collector (kardar) of Patti. (The story has all the myth, magic

and miracles of a genuine Sakhi, but is nevertheless a charming story). Rajni was a

Sikh, a disciple of the Guru. One day she was sitting with her sisters admiring some

new clothing they all had received from their father. The girls were ecstatic and

exclaiming how good their father was to them. Rajni observed that all gifts are

ultimately from God. Their father was merely an instrument of His greatness.

Unfortunately for her, he overheard her comment and became very angry.

It was not the First time that she incurred his wrath because of her extreme piety. The

infuriated father, believing her to be an ungrateful wretch, married her to a leper with

a taunt that he would see how her God would help her lead a normal life. The leper

was severely disfigured and a foul smell came from his body. The poor girl had

accepted her fate ungrudgingly and worked hard to maintain herself and her crippled

husband. She kept repeating the name of God, and was certain that he was testing her

with this turn of events. She was forced to beg for a living. Still she bathed and fed

her leper husband, never losing faith. One day, she reached the site of a pool on her

way to a neighbouring village. Placing the basket containing her husband by the side

of the pool, she had gone otf on an errand, most probably to look for food. In the

meantime, her crippled husband had seen a black crow dip into the water of the pool

and come out white. Amazed at this miracle, the man crawled up to the edge of the

pool and managed a dip. He found himself completely cured. When his wife returned,

she was amazed to find her husband in good health. He was handsome and whole. At

first, she was alarmed and suspected that he might be a different person. He had,

however, kept one finger with leprosy marks un-dipped. He showed her the diseased

finger as proof of his identity. The couple thanked God, and went to the Guru to seek

his blessings.

The pool was the future site of the Golden Temple. The medicinal properties of the

water were said to have come trom Basil (Tulsi), which grew in abundance on its

banks. Guru Amar Das used to pick the herb there to make poultices for an infected

toe that plagued Guru Angad.

gur fateh ji !

idk bt it just came to my mind as i was driving home....... that is it really wrong to fall in love with someone from another religion or is it just our parents talking ??? ( u dnt hav same background! wat will u teach the kids? u ll lose your values!)

just needed some feedback ! ( and i m not in a relationship! ) (lol)

just curious abt wat does our youth think?

at the end of the day you want somebody who compliments your spirituality and doesn't take you away from your faith (in our case, sikhi) in any way... Also i don't think it would be progressive to be married to somebody who does things that are against your beliefs (for example... if one person is amritdhari and marries someone of a different faith who cuts their hair or drinks or whatever -- or even something like 'ritualistic fasting' or whatever)...

remember, marriage is a spiritual bond more then anything.. and yes, kids are a huge part too.. for those couples who are of diff faith, this becomes a battle ground and causes a lot of tension... one parent might want to raise the children with their beliefs, and the other with their own... and for the child it can be very confusing and harmful...

just gotta do whats best for ur spirituality, in my opinion...

Inter racial relationships (non-sexual) between Sikhs is ok. If things become serious between the female and male sikh partner then best to get married. As for falling in being with someone of a different religion that is against sikhi because our only attachment and love should be to our lord waheguru, when shaheeds of Sikhism were cut to pieces they only remembered the name of the lord in true love and they embraced marytrdom without any care of this world, that is the love we need to have for our lord. He is everything and everyone. But as humans we are weak if we need to fall in love with someone it should be of the same religion and ideally should be your husband/wife who who are intending to spend the rest of your life with.