Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest _Singh_

Sanskaar Of Kesh

23 posts in this topic

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa!

Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

Can anyone tell me how to do sanskaar of the Kesh that come out during combing?

Thanks!

Make sure to not inhale the fumes too much lol.

when your doing sanskaar recite Chaupaee Sahib and Keertan Sohila and then do an Ardaas. The ashes must go into a river or dug and buried into the ground.

Make sure to not inhale the fumes too much lol.

when your doing sanskaar recite Chaupaee Sahib and Keertan Sohila and then do an Ardaas. The ashes must go into a river or dug and buried into the ground.

does anyone have a source for this maryada? i've heard different things, want to verify... this way seems kind of ritualistic (no offense, i'm new to sikhi, just a novice).

its out of bhavana

to an outsider/ noob( : p ), yeh bhavana associated ceremonies will probably sound ritualistic

esp. since u havent grown up in that culture, so its often hard to understand or simply just accept such traditions

u can find sanskaar of kes in most taksal and im pretty sure buddha dal rehitname

its out of bhavana

to an outsider/ noob( : p ), yeh bhavana associated ceremonies will probably sound ritualistic

esp. since u havent grown up in that culture, so its often hard to understand or simply just accept such traditions

u can find sanskaar of kes in most taksal and im pretty sure buddha dal rehitname

lol... to an outsider/noob, taksal and buddha dal rehitname include a lot of things that sound kind of ritualistic.

once again, no offense, just an observation. :)

pretty sure tarna dal say to burn as well...my thia's tarna dal and he burns the kes...i think he said baba nihal singh ji said to.

nearly all puraatan samparda keep this rehat. Tarna Dal, Buddha Dal, Taksaal, Nanaksar, Rarra Sahib etc etc all keep satkaar of kes and do sanskaar. It Isn't ritualistic, its satkaar for kes and kakkaar. Its a gift from maharaj. When a kanga gets damaged we burn it, becoz it is our ang just as our kes is our ang. This is maharaj's bakshish.

nearly all puraatan samparda keep this rehat. Tarna Dal, Buddha Dal, Taksaal, Nanaksar, Rarra Sahib etc etc all keep satkaar of kes and do sanskaar. It Isn't ritualistic, its satkaar for kes and kakkaar. Its a gift from maharaj. When a kanga gets damaged we burn it, becoz it is our ang just as our kes is our ang. This is maharaj's bakshish.

thanks veerji. please remember i have not grown up in a sikh family, so many of this maryada is new to me. :)

to tell you straight up

its out of blind following/faith/bhavana etc

maharaj said kes are his mohr, more precious than any currency. unshorn kes are his insignia. in Punjabi culture, we generally dont simply throw away things we keep dear to us. out ofrespect they are cremated

does anyone have a source for this maryada? i've heard different things, want to verify... this way seems kind of ritualistic (no offense, i'm new to sikhi, just a novice).

yea yea, when you think about it logically ish,

when your kanga breaks, or if for some reason, your sri sahib breaks, you don't just throw it away.

when your arm grows a bit too big for your karra, do you throw it away?

after death, do you dispose of your kakkars?

no, they are burned with you. they are part of your sareer, your body.

when your arm grows a bit too big for your karra, do you throw it away?

how do you burn a kadha?

u dont burn it, but its not thrown away either

its kept in clean nice place

A smaller karra is usually kept in a safe place or given to someone younger so you just keep passing it down.

if a Kirpaan is damaged, it should be repaired.

A smaller karra is usually kept in a safe place or given to someone younger so you just keep passing it down.

if a Kirpaan is damaged, it should be repaired.

that makes more sense. :)

there's a tiny kadha (baby sized) that keeps getting passed around at my gurdwara... whenever someone's baby outgrows it, they pass it on to the next woman of child bearing age. :)

every singh/singhniaan dass has met, burns there kesh..

be it from any backround..

its out of satkaar

and pyar for our natural form..

dhan gurooo

dhan guroo keh pyarehh!!

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa!

Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

Can anyone tell me how to do sanskaar of the Kesh that come out during combing?

Thanks!

Brother, kesh that have come out during combing or washing are not to be treated in a ritualistic manner as Guru Sahib condemned Bipren ki Reet. So long as you keep your kes that is good enough without worrying about kesh that have come out naturally - which can be disposed of normally (preferably in the natural environment outdoors). You do not need to go the trouble of burning or burying kesh with an Ardas. I lose a lot kesh daily and it would be pure Bipren ki Reet to treat naturally lost hair with any kind of undeserved reverence. The kind of time spent on certain traditions relating to naturally lost hair would be better spent on paatt and seva imho.

how do you burn a kadha?

you don't you clean it and pass it on , to your kids or family members or even give to Gurdwara to be used in Amrit sanchar sewa... There are ways always to keep satkar and benefit others

Brother, kesh that have come out during combing or washing are not to be treated in a ritualistic manner as Guru Sahib condemned Bipren ki Reet. So long as you keep your kes that is good enough without worrying about kesh that have come out naturally - which can be disposed of normally (preferably in the natural environment outdoors). You do not need to go the trouble of burning or burying kesh with an Ardas. I lose a lot kesh daily and it would be pure Bipren ki Reet to treat naturally lost hair with any kind of undeserved reverence. The kind of time spent on certain traditions relating to naturally lost hair would be better spent on paatt and seva imho.

Panj Piarey gave advise to burn the kesh to get rid of it with satkar. In our household we keep a lidded box especially for this collection of guchey of kesh and when it fills the sanskar is done outdoors this is once in a while not a major time-consuming thing and not bipran ki reet if Guru Panth has given the hukam to observe this . My parents home we did the same so I am used to doing this since age 10 so 36 years later I give it no major thought ...

JKV Bhenji, if I may clarify, I do respect your shardha to observe this and that you follow the advice you have received. However, so long as our young brother is clear that there are different schools of thought that can co-exist within the Panth he should be fine :-)