Pet Dogs Are Not Allowed In Sikhism...

There is a verse by Bhai Gurdassji when comparing the differences of Guru Hargobindji and previous Guru's. It goes something like this,

"People say the former Gurus used to sit in the temple;

the present Guru remaineth not in place.

The former Emporers used to visit the former Gurus;

The present Guru was sent into the fortress by the emporer.

In former times the Gurus Darbar could not contain the sect;

The present Guru leadeth a roving life and feareth nobody.

The former Gurus sitting on their thrones, used to console the Sikhs; the present Guru keepeth dogs and hunteth

The former Gurus used to compose hymns, listen to them and sing them, the present Guru composeth not hymns. not lisenth to them."

The hymn was to reflect the changes going through Sikhi i.e. it's militarisation. But it makes it quite clear Sri Guru Hargobind ji kept dogs. Dasme Paatshah kept Elephants and Hawks, Sikhs were attached to their horses also, so like mentioned by previous poster why would another of the Lord's creations be discriminated?

People do say this is right or wrong, or against Sikhi or not. But we need to be able to understand why, we can ask questions. There is a Sakhi where Guru Gobind Singhji on his travels salutes a shrine of some Saint or another, clearly this is against Sikhi and his Khalsa companions questioned the Master. He explained to them that he didn't want a dumb Khalsa but those who truly understand the ways of a Sikh, so was testing them. As a result of his actions the Khalsa reprimanded Guruji and sentenced him to some sort of appropriate punishment.

After all "The Guru is the Khalsa, and the Khalsa is the Guru"

WJKK WJKF

I recently got a Doberman Pinscher. I was wondering if anybody had suggestions for a name. I started a topic before about names of Guru Sahib's animals, but I didn't see anything I liked. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks,

WJkk Wjkf

Congrats on getting the dobie.. One of the best dog you can ever get.. both *extreme* loyal and friendly... you can google it and find thousands of possible names. How old is he/she? and does he/she bites a LOT? I would suggest you to keep his/her ears natural way :)

KKV using Akhalee Nihang Baba Hardeesh Singh Jee Velling Vahleh's account

loll, you know what I reakon there just one of them things when Bibee'yaa'n do gidhaa and they spitt boh'lee'yaa'n (my granny was SIKKKK at them) - here's one of her bad ones:

Ror'kaa Kin Nindheh'yaa Meh Kaal'Jaa Kad'Keh Na Kaa'Jaa'n

But yeah I reakon there just words of wisdom, not really Sikhee related of backed up to the extent to prove it that it is defo against Sikhee. But talking about pets as a whole, I don't remember WHICH Guroo it was but one of our Guroo's gave Gankaa a parrot...

But check my dog out....too gorjusss!! His names Kharkoo :cool:

post-7574-1214158418_thumb.jpg

WJKK WJKF

I recently got a Doberman Pinscher. I was wondering if anybody had suggestions for a name. I started a topic before about names of Guru Sahib's animals, but I didn't see anything I liked. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks,

WJkk Wjkf

I used to have a great dane, and he was called Vicky.

But I do know there is someone on this forum with the same name.

Doberman is a good breed. Have you docked its tail ?

I am actually a couple of weeks away from getting him. He is about 6 weeks old and I get him at 8. I am getting the tail docked and the ears cropped. I know it would be best to keep the dog natural, but the long tail gets a bit crazy and can cause harm from what I heard..and the ears..well they just look better cropped haha. I am still wondering if I should use veggie dog food (i'm pretty sure it exists) or not. If he can stay healthy by eating vegetarian I would go that route, but if he can't than I will most likely feed him normal dog food. Any suggestions on the dog food?