Can Sikhs Marry Someone Closer In Their Family

ISW

I think you guys are taking this post in a very WRONG direction.. It could be distant NON-blood related very very far person.. example.. Merey mom deh cousin Uncle deh voti deh bhain deh kurey/munda.. U know how our punjabi families relate everybody as their own (they even claim any random person as their if they are same pind etc..)

One got to be very good in punjabi cultural thingy to understand such things..

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well sorry to give you the bad news but since Sikhs don't consult the pandas anymore at Kankhal who keep the family records and hence the system about which got can marry with what other got....the likelihood is that most of you have married already been the result of what you yourselves call inbreading.

in the Athurved of the Hindus, there is an injunction that no-one should marry from the villages or tribes of 7 generations. this meant that no-one could marry from their village, or the village/families from where their fermale ancestors came from. This was to stop blood marriages.

nowadays its come down to taboo being your village , your fathers nanake, your nanake and your mothers nanake. 4 villages in all.

thing is that probably most people would know their pend and nanake, but wouldnt know tiher parents nanake.

Maybe this could be made into a sepreate topic: " do you know your parents nanake pends?"

If Sikhs keep singh and kaur as their names how could you possibly know? So should you ask anothers surname when you get married?

As for same surnames their are pends that are miles apart but both have same surnames. Doesnt really mean they are related just because of a surname?

kal kaathee raajae kaasaaee dhharam pa(n)kh kar ouddariaa ||

The Dark Age of Kali Yuga is the knife, and the kings are butchers; righteousness has sprouted wings and flown away.

:((

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU!

why on earth would you want to marry a member of your family! they're related to you!!! erghhhhhh

To BaBa G;

Calm down, all i sed was its the most stupid post ive read on sikh sangat- whats the need for putting the comment saying im attacking another member? Do explain how thats attacking someone? I dont want to show disrespect, but other members have said far worse in the past, yet you seem the need to pick on me?

The poster didnt say long disatnce or far related, he sed FAMILY, so if u veiw them as a FAMILY member, u dont marry them. quite simple.

Tarrandeeeeeeep bhenji. Clearly the original poster's mind does not work in the same way as yours does. We're different. One person thinks it's an innocent question and wants to learn whereas for another the answer might seem obvious and the question silly. But that's no reason to put them down. At least they want to learn and want to do what's right. If we push them away and then hear that they've done something which we consider to be immoral, we are also partly to blame because we had the chance to help them. These chances don't come every minute of every day and whenever they do it's an opportunity which Guru Ji gives us to share the little we know with other Sikhs. We need to make the most of the little tests.

I'd emphasise the point that S1ngh made.. I know people who have gotten married to extremely distant cousins, several times removed and not direct relations. In that case it might be that you don't know the person at all, have never met, and do not really consider them as your family. Would that be so wrong? Is that what the OP is referring to? Or does he/she mean like brother/sister/first cousin?