reading a shabad to get something done

Guest SikhForLife

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh!!

can i ask something here...like if u dont knw the meaning of gurbani but u are reciting it...it means its not worth it?...noting wil happen? like i dont know ....i had question about "jap sahib" i dont understand it...but i recite it right...and iwas bit confused...and then i read somewhere that a singh didnt read jap sahib hana ji...and then in his dream(ithink) Guru Gobind singh ji came...but didnt talk to him.singh was upset..why guru sahib ji left without talking to me. he asked why guru sahib ji didnt talk to him...i dont know who, but someone said to the singh..its cuz u dont do jap sahib. he said 'i dont understand it so i dont do it'...but after that dream he started recitin jap sahib)

you are talking about baba harnaam singh ji here is that story (summed up):

#######################################

in the month of june it was really hot and baba ji was sitting in a hut doing mool mantar. when all of a sudden a singh with a glowing face showed up at the door. they both exchanged fatehs and the singh told baba ji that Guru Gobind Singh Ji is here to meet you. wen they both went outside Guru Ji was on his horse and baba harnaam singh bowed at his feet. Guru Sahib Ji only smiled and then turned his horse around and rode away and dissapeared. BHS was stunned and asked the singh with the glowing face that how come Guru Sahib Ji gave him

darshan (and he was very happy because of this) but didnt give any bachans/say anything. the singh told him that Guru Sahib Ji was really pleased with Baba Ji but did not say anythiung becasue baba ji didnt used to do his jaap sahib. BHS told him the reason he didnt do it was becasue he had a very hard time reading it. the singh told him that anyone who doesnt do full nitnem wont get full kushi of Guru Ji as it is a hukam of the panjpyareh to do those required baanis daily. he said that some one who does the required baanis and more, only that person get full blessing from Guru Sahib Ji. so from that day on BHS made sure he did jaap sahib everyday no matter how long it took and after some while he memorized it.

#######################################

BHS was one of the most chardikala singhs of our time

Sat Sri Akal:

Perhaps this make example more clear:

Person A sits and reads Gurbani. He/She makes absolutely no effort to figure out what Gurbani is saying and mechanically reads. Their mind is on something else such as what to wear, what to eat, etc. No focus at ALL is devoted to the Almighty, Gurbani or even the thought of what the person is reading.

Person B reads Gurbani. He/She struggles to figure out exactly what Gurbani is saying, but is making an effort to understand. From doing Paath regularly, the person slowly understands a few words here and there, until they can read the entire Paath without trouble.

Person A is exactly what Guru Sahib told his Sikhs to NOT be. However, Person B is what most Sikhs are. Yes, Jaap Sahib is a tough Bani (many languages incorporated into it). However, as a person reads it and slowly gathers meanings from various sources (dictionaries, translations, gyanis, etc.), they build up their vocabulary to the extent of understanding what they are reading. That is the path of a Sikh.

Hope that clarifies.

Guest SikhForLife

well when i asked the question i was refering to an example..

i know someone who has been reciting some shabad to get something rather *materialistic* .. would God give her/him that?

well when i asked the question i was refering to an example..

i know someone who has been reciting some shabad to get something rather *materialistic* .. would God give her/him that?

In my PERSONAL opinion (so yeah, it really has no validity rolleyes.gif ) I don't think this person will get what they are asking for...if that person is doing path just to get something, they might get what they ask for the first time they ask...maybe the second time as well...but we all know greed takes over and people ask for more and more (japji sahib says, "bukhia bukh na uttree ja baana pureea bhar")...so eventually this person will ask for more and more just for doing path, and I have a feeling that person won't get what they ask for

on a related note, many of us do ardas/path to get certain things...i.e. someone might ask for help on an exam, etc. in their ardas...but really i don't see the point of it...cause if you do well, you're supposed to be happy, but if you do poorly, you're supposed to accept god's hukam and still be happy...also, everything's already written in our karma, so i don't know if there's any point in asking for anything?

Well here again, I'd prolly go with my athiest view.

Repeating Shabads, doing paht gives us Shanti, God does not hand anything over to us. Praying is suppose make us stronger mentally, and give us the power to achieve things.

But by singing the praises of the lord, your simply aren't going to get it cause "God" is going to answer your prayers.

I read in the SGGS, something according to these lines, "The lord lies within thyself, only the self willed manmukh looks for the lord externally."

The creator has granted us this 6th sense, whether we use it or not to our advantage is our choice.

Guru Kirpa,

Gurjote Singh