Anandpur Sahib

Bundha

I was wondering does anyone know if there is a marker or sign at Anandpur Sahib which tells us where exactly the 1699 vaisakhi took place?

We have Kesgarh Sahib elevated on a hill and around it there are numerous gurdwaras I was just wondering whether we knew where the actual panj piaray event took place, where the tent was erected. Where exactly did all the 70k sangat sit. Is Keshgarh Sahib built over the actual site ? It is just that I want to visualise it in my mind.

Also at Anandpur Sahib Guru Ji must have lived in some building or havaili or something, are all these been demolished? but do we know at what locations they were at in Anandpur Sahib ?

I believe that the actual site may be Sri Kesgarh Sahib itself. The problem with modern Anandpur Sahib is that the historic hills and ravines which in themselves were formidible fortifications against an enemy not holding the high ground have been levelled by land developers. Furthermore the replica of the fort itself is a pathetic representation of what the original must have been like, both in size and style. The original fort was a series of forts along the hills connected by corridors, tunnels and protected by double walls and the rivers. It is just another sad reflection on how people there value their heritage. I was shocked when I went and my driver with utmost glee insisted that this was the original fort - innocent ignorance.

I know that there are books going into more details about the building of the Gurudwaras there (most were built at the time of Maharaja Ranjit Singh and upto the 1930s) and modern evolution of Anandpur Sahib. As far as I am aware, one of the original wells (although in ruins) from the fort existed until 1950s-60s when again property development swiped it away, which was the last shred of evidence of what once stood as a Bastion of courage and qurbani against the combined forces of the Mughal (then probably the most formidible army in the world) and the hill rajas.

Gur Fateh Jio

we visited anandpur sahib and saw the exact place where Guru Gobind Singh ji held diwan on that day. its down that steep bank, from keshgarh sahib.

the area is just some bare land, nothing on it, i cant remember if there was signs but basically its got a fence around it and some litter there. I was quite disapointed when some singhs told me this was the very place the 5 piyare took amrit. maybe they only use it at events and really clean it up, but no one seems to know about it or be too concerned................ but everyone heads to the main gurdwara sahib,

whle im complaining, i might aswell add the sarovar needed cleaning in march 2008, I did ishnaan but it seemed that it hadnt been cleaned for a while, they might have been waiting til vasakhi tho..............hmm