3 Questions

s8220

Hi,

I was thinking about how Sikhi upholds equality for all. But...I have three questions which are bugging me. I was hoping someone far wiser and smarter than I could help resolve them:

1. Sikhism says men and women are equal. Why aren't women aforded the same priviledges as men at Harminder Sahib? things like reading Gurbani etc? i'm not sure what the stand is on women doing kirtan there though...
  2. Why don't you ever see female Granthi's? (ignorance on my part, i don't know if there is a female equivalent but i'm assuming there isn't. please correct me if i'm wrong)!
  3. Why is there a "jot" in a lot of Gurdwareh? It's the candle that uses oil as its fuel and is lit 24/7. I've seen person after person bow down to Guru Ji and then walk over to this flame, wave their hands over it and put their hands to their heads. Isn't this rather ritualistic and akin to Hindu practices? I did ask the granthi at our gurdwara. this is what he said (ish):
    - they used to do it in the older days due to a lack of electricity, so we do it now. I reply: but, we're in england. there aren't power cuts here. he replies: that's true...
    - but it symbolises the light of God. I reply: but god is everywhere and our Guru is in the same room. I don't fully undestand why we still need the light. You've seen how everyone waves their hands over the flame and puts it to their heads...
    - he replies: well, some people are like that, hard to change their ways. I reply: but loads of people do use that as an excuse. shouldn't we do something about it?
    - he replies: well, they have on in Harminder Sahib so we must have one too.
    I didn't really ask any more so left.

I'd appreciate any and all help!

koi jot is used as i've heard it attracts shaheed singhs. also, the smell covers up any bad smell that might distract concentration. as for the waving hands over it thing, sounds pretty messed up.

I've seen women granthi's before. Women have all the same priviliges in sikhi, just that in some places like the golden temple goondas enforece their own way of doing things.

Guest peacemaker
I've seen women granthi's before. Women have all the same priviliges in sikhi, just that in some places like the golden temple goondas enforece their own way of doing things.

Wow :o Never heard someone say that so openly before in reference to the Golden Temple. :gg:

From my understanding naked flames were used in gurudwara in the olden days because there was no electricity, but people tend to turn things into a ritual.

As for Harmindar Sahib, Women can not do Kirtan because those in charge consider themselves the self imposed "Guardians" are ignorant.

Many Grantis, if not all are from bought in from India and employed by the gurudwara. It is unlikely any women would do this. However in the states specifically in Esponola many of the grathis are women.

No need for silly lights,we got electric now!!

Yeah and women should be allowed to do seva in Harmandar Saab ,just we have thugs running it and money makers and Pakhandi Jathedhars running our institutions.Flipping clowns they claim they GurSikhs but don;t allow women to do Kirtan and Seva,feel lke slapping them

I shoudl clarify, that when I called them goondas, I meant thuggish rogues. I really respect those in teh sgpc who are honest workers, It must be difficult when there's so much corruption around you.

As for koi jot, my reasons for it had nothing to do with light. perhaps some of you who know could address them??? wihtout guessing?

No ifs no but.... just follow Puratan Maryada...

See this Video replyto understand the issue of women sewa (Harmandir Sahib), Bibian in punj piyaray sewa and other issues..

Regarding jot in darbar sahib.. it reall got very less to do with electricity.. There is one real incident happened when harmander sahib was under mughal rule and was closed to sikhs. There was this singh who always wanted to keep "Jot" lit inside the main diwan hall.. He used to swim across sarovar and then lit the jot inside the diwan hall.. I know someone can post the proper version of this sakhi..

Yes veer ji

Jot it's not concern to just electercity

saad sangat ji some time inccident can happen like that ke it turn to maryada and our repsect and honour...

veer ji na dasia...like that

jot was in SHRI DARBAAR SAHIB because of electr city..but after some time what happened there and this jot become the repect of sikhi and love of sikhi..the jot was burning there because of electer city then turned into the love of sikh peoples for SHRI DARBAAR SAHIB JI..when mughal take control in SHRI DARBAAR SAHIB JI...and mughal ordered there is any sikh who can come into SHRI DARBAR SAHIB to boil the JOT..

then veer ji one of the SINGH ,,i dont remeber his name(so i beg my pardon)..every night he entered into GURDWARA and swim the holly SAROVAR and boil the JOT into SHRI DARBAAR SAHIB,,and one day mughal got him and fire on him..and he got SAHEEDI for TRUE GURU..but he boiled the jot..

so in this sakhi JOT didn't concern to electricity..it concern to our honuor,,respect..IJJAT te PYAR TE QURBANI for SHRI DARBAAR SAHIB..

yes i can understand with you it is manmat ke GRANTHI singh ji waves the light hand peoples are surrounding there hand up the lights and touch the heads..so it is manmaat..but JOT ,,,is our PRAMPARA.

bhul chuk muaaf karni

post-16957-1209026760.jpg