Sikh Boy Has Turban Ripped Off And Stamped On By Racists

Sikh boy in race attack

Apr 9 2008 by Luke Traynor, Liverpool Echo

AN 11-YEAR-OLD Sikh boy had his turban ripped off and stamped upon by a group of racist thugs on a Liverpool bus.

Arjan Rhode was attacked by a gang of teenagers on Monday afternoon on the 82 service in Garston.

Moments after he got on the bus near Aigburth Road, he was tapped on the shoulder and his turban was suddenly pulled from his head.

A group of around nine yobs, aged around 18, passed the turban around while mocking the St Benedict's RC College pupil.

They shouted a tirade of racist abuse at the terrified boy as they stamped on the turban on the floor.

The turban is one of the most important religious symbols for a Sikh and damaging one is seen as a huge insult.

The bus was packed, around school leaving time at 3.10pm, but nobody intervened.

Arjan left the bus sobbing and recounted the assault to his mother who immediately telephoned the police.

Police have arrested a boy aged 17 on suspicion of a religiously aggravated public order offence.

He was being questioned by officers and the matter could be passed to the force's Sigma Unit, which deals with hate crime.

Police are set to examine CCTV tapes from the bus.

It is alleged that the mocking group were made up of current and former pupils from St Benedict's, formerly St John Almond, and the school has been contacted.

His mother, who wished to be identified only as Mrs Aurkaur, said her son had been left traumatised and was off school.

She said: "The bus was busy but nobody helped him. After it happened, Arjan sat there alone and frightened until he got off.

"This was a completely offensive act, the turban is the basis of Sikh religion."

Mrs Aurkaur said her son had suffered repeated racist attacks and insults at his school in Horrocks Avenue, Garston.

Headteacher John Finnigan said initial inquiries suggested none of the yobs was a pupil, but he would work with police to identify them.

He said: "Any racist incidents are totally against the ethos of our Catholic college.

"Such incidents are always condemned, thoroughly investigated and action taken.

"This matter occurred after school, but we have obviously made inquiries among our students and teachers.

"College staff and the police will be patrolling the area at the end of the school day."

luketraynor@liverpoolecho.co.uk

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the article 4got to mention that it was a group of white folks or atleast chatholic/christian people commiting the act.

I bet if the situation was oposite, you would hear sikhs did this and that and bla bla bla and terroist this and that

trusay!! ^^^^

not being racist or anything but it's actually factually correct that it would probably be breaking news if it was sikhs who did it...

:vaheguru:

Its just sad that no one in the bus did anything about it :glare: sikhs in uk really need to do something about this issue.

yeah, but how many stories have we had recently where people have stepped in to help someone else out, and ended up being murdered! Plus a group of 18-year old are guna look scary to a coupla school children!

were living in kaljug! only love for waheguru can save us :pray:

I live in liverpool and have travelled on that route on bus but never faced anything because mostly people in that area are from diferrent ethnic groups.But I understand that they new that the 11 yr old was vulnerable and thats why they attacked.

But sikhs are very few in liverpool area and very few people here know who sikhs are. I have myself faced racist abuses many times and yobs trying to say and do stupid things but noone ever dared do anything physical. Sometimes I just looked at them sternly and they are off. They are bunch of failures and addicts and britain is having more and more of them these days.

When I came new to liverpool, i heard lot of shouts and honks on my way to office(i go walking) but i dont know why after about six months all that stopped.may be people got used to seeing me in turban and open dara.

I wish I was on that bus at that time and had handled those idiots. I think sikhs need to be strong since racism is integral to UK , though many like to say otherwise. We have to defend ourselves and face such gangs with confidence.

I live in liverpool and have travelled on that route on bus but never faced anything because mostly people in that area are from diferrent ethnic groups.But I understand that they new that the 11 yr old was vulnerable and thats why they attacked.

But sikhs are very few in liverpool area and very few people here know who sikhs are. I have myself faced racist abuses many times and yobs trying to say and do stupid things but noone ever dared do anything physical. Sometimes I just looked at them sternly and they are off. They are bunch of failures and addicts and britain is having more and more of them these days.

When I came new to liverpool, i heard lot of shouts and honks on my way to office(i go walking) but i dont know why after about six months all that stopped.may be people got used to seeing me in turban and open dara.

I wish I was on that bus at that time and had handled those idiots. I think sikhs need to be strong since racism is integral to UK , though many like to say otherwise. We have to defend ourselves and face such gangs with confidence.

I think you've nailed the subject. Sikhs better get ready for increases in racism in the UK. There needs to be a strictly no pajama policy.

Time to make a reputation.

http://www.sikhsangat.org/news/publish/eur...ate_Crime.shtml

Sikh Boy Has Turban Ripped Off & Stamped On In Racist Hate Crime

AN 11-YEAR-OLD Sikh boy had his turban ripped off and stamped upon by a group of racist thugs on a Liverpool bus.Arjan Rhode was attacked by a gang of teenagers on Monday afternoon on the 82 service in Garston.

Moments after he got on the bus near Aigburth Road, he was tapped on the shoulder and his turban was suddenly pulled from his head.

A group of around nine yobs, aged around 18, passed the turban around while mocking the St Benedict’s RC College pupil.

They shouted a tirade of racist abuse at the terrified boy as they stamped on the turban on the floor.

The turban is one of the most important religious symbols for a Sikh and touching it alone is seen as a huge insult.

The bus was packed, around school leaving time at 3.10pm, but nobody intervened.

Arjan left the bus sobbing and recounted the assault to his mother who immediately telephoned the police.

Police have arrested a boy aged 17 on suspicion of a religiously aggravated public order offence.

He was being questioned by officers and the matter could be passed to the force’s Sigma Unit, which deals with hate crime.

Police are set to examine CCTV tapes from the bus.

Clearly if this is not a Race Hate Crime, the Sikh Community worldwide will be wondering what is? This Crime has the potential of widening communal tensions if not tackled head on.

It is alleged that the mocking group were made up of current and former pupils from St Benedict’s, formerly St John Almond, and the school has been contacted.

His mother, who wished to be identified only as Mrs Aurkaur, said her son had been left traumatised and was off school.

She said: “The bus was busy but nobody helped him. After it happened, Arjan sat there alone and frightened until he got off.

“This was a completely offensive act, the turban is the basis of Sikh religion.”

Mrs Aurkaur said her son had suffered repeated racist attacks and insults at his school in Horrocks Avenue, Garston.

SikhBoyB.jpg Sikhs have a distinct identity which they hold in the highest regard. The males are recognised by the long flowing beards and high turbans which they begin keeping at a young age. Sikhs also have five articles of faith which they keep at all times: the Kara (iron bracelet), Kesh (uncut hair), Kirpan (religious ceremonial dagger), Kachhera (briefs) & Kangha (comb).

sikh-turban.jpg

Hence, to show strength of character, their pride in their spirituality & ethics they are instantly recognisable and stand out in a crowd.

finnegan.jpg Headteacher John Finnigan (pictured) said initial inquiries suggested none of the yobs was a pupil, but he would work with police to identify them.

He said: “Any racist incidents are totally against the ethos of our Catholic college.

“Such incidents are always condemned, thoroughly investigated and action taken.

“This matter occurred after school, but we have obviously made inquiries among our students and teachers.

“College staff and the police will be patrolling the area at the end of the school day.”

The Mission Statement of the College reads:

"We provide a safe, secure and happy environment."

Clearly they have failed in this regard.

The Sikh Community worldwide is outraged that such a serious Race-Hate Crime has not been categorically denounced by a wider proportion of the community in Garston, Liverpool and that this Hate Crime has not been investigated and the perpetrators punished to the fullest extent of the law.