Weightlifter, Olympic, Powerlifter, Personal Fitness Instructor

mskcan

I'm relatively light weight to everyone else (assuming) but I shall be looking forward to your tips anyway :)

Relatively light weight? Just have a goal and we will make it happen.

QUOTE (peacemaker @ Apr 10 2008, 09:47 PM) post_snapback.gifI don't mean to sound like a pessimist, but isn't any advice in regards to your body, such as weightlifting, best given in person, in a one on one type of situation? I highly commend what you're doing thoughPlease read the above responses in relation to health. Sarcopenia costs the American government over 20 BILLION dollars a year to treat. Sarcopenia leads to falls, fractures and disability in elderly. Additionally, Diseases such as Diabetes and others are now showing up in people as young as 30!!! If you believe in positive self health, and the power of the Spirit, then you will never have to experience Disease and Illness again.

& Indeed personal training is done on a one to one basis, but advice is easily free and explained online. As a physiotherapist I often explain on a Physio Forum self treatment strategies effectively. I will not place anyone in harm, but caution them to get personal training if necessary. But point noted.

Only things on Techniques.. the rest, such as lifestyle, diet etc can be given online.

Bodily health isn't just limited to workout - it's a fulltime job.

Indeed, it is a facet of life that helps us to live Inspired, Spiritual Lives.

Paaji, whats the best way to loose fat around the stomach? Daass has put on a few pounds over the last few months and would like to go back to being in shape.

I was thinking just going to India in the summer, that always makes me loose weight due to reduced food intake coupled with increased fluid intake and greater perspiration.

This one is easy. More muscle = Increased Metabolic Rate = Increased utilization of Fat. To remove fat, cardio is necessary, in a manner that is relevant to your goals. More muscle = easier weight loss. Cardio + Calorie controlled diet = Weight loss. Excess calorie restriction = Muscle loss.

sooo... If you can just begin with working out that is the best start. In india you may suffer illness and muscle loss. DId you know More muscle & increase dprotein intake equals less illness?

yo mskcan bro, check your personal inbox, i mailed you, send me reply thanks bro

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess you're right. I just didn't want anyone to get injured by following something mskcan said without actually having him show them how to do it properly.

As mentioned previously, I will not give an injurious advice. People are going to be in the gym anyways they have more of a chance getting injured than if I was to give advice regarding injury prevention, proper biomechanics, and form here online. But point noted again.

I am all bones and I don't eat much. What do I do?

You should eat to support growht. If you are younger than 25 people should eat enough to support their growing bodies. It is simply a matter of what you eat and not eating in excess. Your body, your mind, and SPirit will love you for it.

the best way to lose fat around the stomach is to lose fat in the arms, the legs, and everywhere else.... the reason is that Targeted Fat Loss is a myth.... you can't lose fat in any specific part of the body, you will lose fat proportionally everywhere when you workout and stuff.. therefore you won't see the gains you want to see aorund your stomach just by doing something that you think is targetting stomach fat... it is an entire myth to lose only one type of fat over the others....

This is absolutely 99% Correct. Cardio and Calorie Restriction leads to fat loss.

Therefore the question is how best to lose fat in general, and that will depend on your level of motivation and preferences... for me, i hated (and stlil do) running or jogging, but this is probably the best and most effective way to burn calories... and the best part is, you burn the same amount of calories whether you run or whether you jog (little known fact)

This is incorrect, and I will explain why later.

.. but you clearly won't sweat as much if you walk it, and water weight tends to be fun to lose because it gives the impression that you're losing alot of weight very quickly (your first week, you might lose 5 pounds, but in reality it's all water weight)

This is also correct.

It's also important to keep some level of weight training regime during a weight-loss initiative. the most obvious reason is that you will lose weight, but it might be a result of muscle degeneration as opposed to a loss of fat....INDEED!!! you don't wanna fool yourself or anyone else for that matter... keep up a good, consistent weight training program to maintain your muscle mass, and keep a good cardio program going on for weight loss... if you're a heavy trainer, you can do two-a-days, INDeed, avoid twice a day training at the moment, it taxes the immune system. but this should probably only be done if you're experienced and can do it.. you definitely don't wanna go from being a 3 times a week to a 2 times a day, 5 days a week type of person... a) you'll exhaust yourself, and b) you'll convince yourself that you're not exhausted, and as a result, will be more prone to hurting yourself.

Indeed again

And in case you're wondering, I chose biking as my choice of cardio..... it just made me feel the best after i was done a really good workout... plus if you include inclines and hills in your workout, you'll be working your leg muscles (this goes with jogging and such too, obviously)

Cardio has many forms, the most effective is the one you choose to do consistently.

AS above regards, nice questions keep them coming.

Mskcan, check your personal inbox bro.

Please check your inbox I sent a msg back

I am 28 and half, and not as skinny as people think (they are jealous that I am slim and lean <_< ).

No problemz, I think i answered everything

Interesting Points by many of you. My view on this is we say that Sikhs had martial skills back in the day. The main thing they had was the spirit of the Khalsa, they had the strength of Amrit. Its like i see alot of youth nowadays pumping weights? What for? The majority of them do it to make them look good. If you want to train, get yourself into Boxing, Kick-Boxing, Grappling. Also if you want to train, go to the Gurdwara, set up a gym, get as much sangat as possible. Kaurs should also be there.

Interesting Points by many of you. My view on this is we say that Sikhs had martial skills back in the day. The main thing they had was the spirit of the Khalsa, they had the strength of Amrit. Its like i see alot of youth nowadays pumping weights?

Not only youth, but Physiotherapy Based Progressive Resistance Training is also being used to treat Sarcopenia in the elderly, to treat balance issues in Parkinson's patients, to increase the quality of life of Cerebral Palsy patients. Exercise in general is used to treat Arthritis, enhance bone mineral density in women with Osteoporosis. Additionally, exercise can also increase Memory, enhance cognitive function, and improve longevity. Moreover, the US government suspects 18 Billion dollars is the cose of Sarcopenia (age-related loss of muscle) and the larger reserver that people have earlier in life the less likely they will spend their later years in a home or hospice. Did you know that in the west Punjabi elders are being sent to hospices to live out the remainder of their lives, because family do not wish to care for them. As humans we have no one in this life, not one person will be there for us in the end. We can only rely on conquering our own mind, and living to the best of our own abilities. In the past people received plenty of exercise working the laboured jobs that they did. In fact even today research shows that house-hold chores decreases the risk of cancer in women. Additionally, exercise is used to reverse of prevent cancer, diabetes, heart disease. All the most significant problems in modern western civilisations. Where is the Spirit of the Khalsa if one spends most of their life on medicines, in and out of the Hospital. I don't know about everyone else, but all I see in punjabi people is 50" waists, knock knees, and no one is pain free.

What for?

There are 2 types of exercise, general exercise for the healthy person who can attempt to prevent disease, and physiotherapeutic exercise for the ill/injured person to optimize their current living status.

1. Exercise is known to help prevent colon cancer and cancers of the reproductive system, and Now even Skin Cancer

Proceedings National Acad Sci 104;12936, 2007.

2. The leaner you are, the lower your risk of cancer, that’s according to a new report published by the World Cancer Research Fund (WCRF).

3. Most average adults think that bodybuilding and pumping iron is only about oiled-up freaks posing in their swim wear. However, the average adult can expect to gain approximately 1 pound of fat every year between ages 30 to 60, and lose about a half pound of muscle over that same time span. That's a 15 pound loss of muscle and a 30 pound gain in fat!

J Card Fail. 13(2):79-85, 2007

4. According to the British Heart Foundation, somebody dies every fifteen minutes in the UK because they did not do enough exercise. Less than one third of adults in the UK do the recommended amount of exercise.

www.bhf.org.uk/thebeat

The majority of them do it to make them look good.

The majority of them who are of ego, usually resort to illegal drugs and performance enhancers. I am promoting the health aspects of it with the intention that you are all Awake and Aware to the power of the EGO (Edging God Out), and are reasonably inclined to improve yourselves via a meditative and disciplined lifestyle, of which I believe exercise and diet are also significantly important components.

If you want to train, get yourself into Boxing, Kick-Boxing, Grappling.

For self defense purposes sure. Hopefully.

Also if you want to train, go to the Gurdwara, set up a gym, get as much sangat as possible. Kaurs should also be there.

I agree wholeheartedly. At one time there was a gym below Surrey's Khalsa School, both Singhs and Kaurs were training there, but the commitee kicked them out. Now tell me can we really rely on politicians? Or can we rely on our own Spiritual Guidance within our hearts as revealed by the Guru. What I speak I believe to be the Truth, but it is also my opinion, so I hope everyone sees that what I have written above is in the light of True Spirit, and is meant to help you, not hinder you.

As above regards

Research Revelations: Women and older women should exercise

A year long study of 42 elderly women (aged between 65 and 75) demonstrated that significant increases in strength can still be made at any age. Half of the 42 women participated in 52 of weight training. Three times a week for 1 hour each session. Results also showed strength increases were closely correlated with increases in the women’s bone density. All of the women in the weight training group showed a significant strength increase in all muscle groups. They used pretty intense programs too. Training at 75% of their 1 repetion maximum (RM) on multi joint exercises. This RM was regularly assessed so the 75% max could be up graded accordingly, good stuff! DEXA analysis was used to assess bone mineral density. In the elderly, problem areas for injury are the neck of the femur and the lower vertebrae. The weight training program improved the strength of these areas tremendously. However, bone density improvements were not as great as the researchers would have liked but, a far greater improvement would have been seen if the gals were prescribed an appropriate bone building diet.

However, these results are very promising. For the entire year there was not one report by the women of injury or ill health caused by the weight training. This study demonstrates that anyone, at any age can make significant improvements to their body if they start now!

Effects of one year resistance training on the relation between muscular strength and bone density in elderly women. Br.J.Sports Med.34:18-22,2000.

Another question, since im lazy whats the quickest way to get build up???

lol its a serious question

To overcome the thoughts of your mind that are preventing you from doing what you know needs to be done to accomplish the goal.