Weightlifter, Olympic, Powerlifter, Personal Fitness Instructor

mskcan

Paaji, whats the best way to loose fat around the stomach? Daass has put on a few pounds over the last few months and would like to go back to being in shape.

I was thinking just going to India in the summer, that always makes me loose weight due to reduced food intake coupled with increased fluid intake and greater perspiration.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paaji, whats the best way to loose fat around the stomach? Daass has put on a few pounds over the last few months and would like to go back to being in shape.

I was thinking just going to India in the summer, that always makes me loose weight due to reduced food intake coupled with increased fluid intake and greater perspiration.

anything i'm about to say is from my own research and experience and not because i'm trained in medicine or exercise fitness... so perhaps mskcan can confirm or refute anything i say

the best way to lose fat around the stomach is to lose fat in the arms, the legs, and everywhere else.... the reason is that Targeted Fat Loss is a myth.... you can't lose fat in any specific part of the body, you will lose fat proportionally everywhere when you workout and stuff.. therefore you won't see the gains you want to see aorund your stomach just by doing something that you think is targetting stomach fat... it is an entire myth to lose only one type of fat over the others....

Therefore the question is how best to lose fat in general, and that will depend on your level of motivation and preferences... for me, i hated (and stlil do) running or jogging, but this is probably the best and most effective way to burn calories... and the best part is, you burn the same amount of calories whether you run or whether you jog (little known fact).. but you clearly won't sweat as much if you walk it, and water weight tends to be fun to lose because it gives the impression that you're losing alot of weight very quickly (your first week, you might lose 5 pounds, but in reality it's all water weight)

It's also important to keep some level of weight training regime during a weight-loss initiative. the most obvious reason is that you will lose weight, but it might be a result of muscle degeneration as opposed to a loss of fat.... you don't wanna fool yourself or anyone else for that matter... keep up a good, consistent weight training program to maintain your muscle mass, and keep a good cardio program going on for weight loss... if you're a heavy trainer, you can do two-a-days, but this should probably only be done if you're experienced and can do it.. you definitely don't wanna go from being a 3 times a week to a 2 times a day, 5 days a week type of person... a) you'll exhaust yourself, and b) you'll convince yourself that you're not exhausted, and as a result, will be more prone to hurting yourself.

And in case you're wondering, I chose biking as my choice of cardio..... it just made me feel the best after i was done a really good workout... plus if you include inclines and hills in your workout, you'll be working your leg muscles (this goes with jogging and such too, obviously)

ok ive started doing tranining 4 tehlast 6 months now. its takes ages to be able to support ur own weight but its worth it as i feel good now. im not in weightlifting as i dnt think it looks good sum1 being that big. but what i do do is pressups, situps and jogging.

i started of doing 10 pressup. i cud barely do this so i wud put my knees on my bed and press up liek that. i used 2 do 30 a day. this carried on 4 2 months untill increased this 2 100. when i felt stronger i did 10 proper sit up 3 times a day. and slowly kept increasing this. now i can do 60/70 odd in 1 go. im aiming to get 2 100. stomach u need to keep doing sit up and leg lifts. also jogging gets rid of ur stomach. watch what u eat...have light lunches and hardly ne snacks.

oh ok thx

sir can u tell what ur bench press is?

i mean how many kg can u lift on bench

I have a bench press of about 145kg or 315lbs

however that is natural, and training for health, and it only 1 component of building overall lean body mass for a life time of healht

i want to start getting into training again, i went to a gym recently and even Benching 50kg (which once used to be to light for my warmup) felt hard. so i am looking into starting training again (after joining a better gym)...so i am kinda looking for help into how to get back on that, shall i focus on strength, hypetrophy, both, im kinda confussed...

Excellent post, firstly Strength = Hypertrophy. Research shows a linear relationship between strength gains and muscle cross sectional area.

also, ive always had 1 question in mind that i wanted to ask about bodybuilding:

Excellent question below:

is bodybuilding or powerlifting against Sikhi?

Sikhs have always had a martial Spirit, and including the times of battle Sikhs have always lived physically active and calorie restricted lives. But I am going to have to ask you something, is the idea of being a Elderly Dependent and Disabled person completely dependent upon MEdical and Drugs in late life your idea of Living? Does the Light within us agree that our bodies should degrade? Did you know that medicine in the form of treatment is the THIRD most prominent cause of all Deaths! Bodybuilding will help ALL of us live long health lives, DISEASE free lives. And I have been given these answers to share to all of you, and I will explain it all in later articles

Guru Maharaj Ji says "Rein gawayee soye kai, Dinas gawayaa kae" once has wasted their day eating, and night sleeping. But a bodybuilder needs both of these, a bodybuilders needs to eat excess in calories to gain weight (muscle) and atlest 6-8hours sleep to notice the positive affects of training.

No, we do not need to 'eat excess' we need to eat enough to support our metabolism & GROWTH. Not an excess. Additionally Punjabi community of Vancouver area has the highest rates of disease in the country, should we join them and pop Medicine Pills for the rest of our lives?

Obviously i (and other sikhs) should put Guru Maharaj Ji first and try to follow that hukam to the T. but just want to know what you guys think, because Sikhs should be both a Sant-Sipahi, a saint and a soldier, and to do bhagti or simran ordinary people like us also needs to be fit to do, and Dhan Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Hargobind Singh Ji Maharaj also used to promote wrestling as a sport, so i just want to know others views on this.

I agree, however devoting time towards physical health is necessary. Previously people would labour on the farms, or even become physically fit training for Gatka. These are all aspects of a disciplined life necessary for positive health.

As above, some excellent questions.

Bulldozervargasingh:

That shabad refers to laziness and gluttony, not to taking whatever rest you need and eating what you need. Personally, I think that modern science overestimates the amount of sleep we need but in any case, Guru Ji isn't going to let anything negative happen from you following their hukam! If anything, your gains will be better.

Having strength is very important - Guru Hargobind Ji was known for their amazing strength and set an example for us.

Thank you for the response: here is some of the science of sleep deprivation:

One recent research study, scientists actually produced sleep

deprivation in subjects by withholding deep sleep for 4 nights. They

then did a whole battery of tests including brain scans.

Do you know what one of the most significant problems they found?

They couldn't metabolize their sugar and developed a pre-diabetic

picture. The scientists then concluded out that poor sleep is

definitely a risk factor for diabetes. As such, poor sleep may also

lead to the following serious illness:

• Obesity. That's because of the imbalance in your fat hormones such

as leptin that is created by sleep loss.

• Increased stress on your system because of cortisol released by

lack of sleep.

• Lack of proper sleep leads to heart disease

• It may lead to memory difficulties

There are 3 Solutions to this:

1. Meditation which balances the hormones that cause us to become out of balance.
  2. AND taking 20 minute naps anytime during the day
  3. AND Proper Nutrition and Diet.

Gurfateh

I'm relatively light weight to everyone else (assuming) but I shall be looking forward to your tips anyway :)

Relatively light weight? Just have a goal and we will make it happen.

QUOTE (peacemaker @ Apr 10 2008, 09:47 PM) post_snapback.gifI don't mean to sound like a pessimist, but isn't any advice in regards to your body, such as weightlifting, best given in person, in a one on one type of situation? I highly commend what you're doing thoughPlease read the above responses in relation to health. Sarcopenia costs the American government over 20 BILLION dollars a year to treat. Sarcopenia leads to falls, fractures and disability in elderly. Additionally, Diseases such as Diabetes and others are now showing up in people as young as 30!!! If you believe in positive self health, and the power of the Spirit, then you will never have to experience Disease and Illness again.

& Indeed personal training is done on a one to one basis, but advice is easily free and explained online. As a physiotherapist I often explain on a Physio Forum self treatment strategies effectively. I will not place anyone in harm, but caution them to get personal training if necessary. But point noted.

Only things on Techniques.. the rest, such as lifestyle, diet etc can be given online.

Bodily health isn't just limited to workout - it's a fulltime job.

Indeed, it is a facet of life that helps us to live Inspired, Spiritual Lives.

This one is easy. More muscle = Increased Metabolic Rate = Increased utilization of Fat. To remove fat, cardio is necessary, in a manner that is relevant to your goals. More muscle = easier weight loss. Cardio + Calorie controlled diet = Weight loss. Excess calorie restriction = Muscle loss.

sooo... If you can just begin with working out that is the best start. In india you may suffer illness and muscle loss. DId you know More muscle & increase dprotein intake equals less illness?