Bjp Also Wants Glory Of Operation Bluestar

Sikhs want Advani’s apology

Ajay Banerjee

Tribune News Service

New Delhi, April 7

Former Deputy Prime Minister Lal Krishna Advani’s book “My country, my life” has run into yet another controversy. This time the Sikh community here has taken umbrage at the reference to the events in the days preceding Operation Bluestar in June 1984.

Reacting to reference on page 430 of the book, the Delhi Sikh Gurdwara Management Committee has sought an apology from Advani and the BJP for its alleged “role of an instigator” in the days preceding the Operation. The DSGMC’s former president H.S. Sarna today apportioned blame on the BJP saying “it had also demanded action” in the days before the Operation was carried out.

Advani, in his book, blames Indira Gandhi for the way she tackled the issue and allowed militants to take control of the holy shrine and demanded action against Bhindranwale.

Notably, the BJP and the Shiromani Akali Dal, led by Parkash Singh Badal, are long standing alliance partners at the national level and in Punjab. More than a million strong Sikh community resides in Delhi.

Sarna’s objection is that on page 430 the book, when dealing with militancy in Punjab during 1984 says, “…on May 3 Atalji, along with Charan Singh, led a contingent of 15,000 protestors to court arrest, following it with another large contingent of demonstrators the next day. I raised the issue in Parliament, charging the government with abdication of its responsibility in the face of an unprecedented challenge to national unity and the rule of law.”

In the next paragraph the book says “… the Prime Minister was ultimately forced to use the military to liberate the Golden Temple from its anti-national occupants”.

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2008/20080408/main8.htm

Errors in Advani’s book?

Bhattal too supports Sikhs’ protest

Tribune News Service

New Delhi, April 8

The Punjab Congress today supported protest of Sikhs against former deputy Prime Minister Lal Krishna Advani’s book “My Country, My Life”, demanding an apology from him regarding remarks in his book.

Punjab Pradesh Congress chief Rajinder Kaur Bhattal today said Advani should apologise for his remarks in the book and also for the reported remarks, in which he had referred to the Sikh Gurus as “Sants”, aired on television in an interview. She asked, who was Advani to call the Sikh Gurus “Sants”?

Bhattal said she had requested an intellectual to read the book and point out more errors, especially, pertaining to references to Sikhism and militancy.

Bhattal demanded

Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal should also tell if he and the SAD had accepted what Advani wrote about the role played by the BJP in the days preceding Operation Bluestar.

Bhattal said it was Advani’s self-admission on the demands made by the BJP to seek action against Bhindranwale and his men, who were inside the Golden Temple. Yesterday, the Delhi Sikh Gurdwara Management Committee apportioned blame for Operation Bluestar on the BJP saying it played the role of an instigator.

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2008/20080409/punjab1.htm#4

bander jeha nu kuj na kuj masala chahida hunda rawla paun lei..lagda ehna nu khapp paaye ton bina roti hajam ni hundi...

Vajpayee supported Operation Bluestar when it happened, and 15 years later wore turban to Gurdwaras to get Sikh votes, and guess what, he did end up as the Indian Prime Minister.

Jagdish Tytler led the killer mobs in November 1984. Guess what, Prahlad Singh Chandok of Delhi Gurdwara Management Committee recently presented him with a siropa (for his "noble deed") and also a Sri Sahib (for "future use").

I may have to take back my words. Bander te sadde apne vich baithay aa, sadde ser te baithay aa. Sannu te wildlife documentary dekhan di vi lod ni.

Advani’s Book

Dhindsa takes up issue with Badal

Sarbjit Dhaliwal

Tribune News Service

Chandigarh, April 9

The awkward and politically damaging situation created for the Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) by certain references in the Lal Krishan Advani’s book “My Country, My Life” has become a headache for the Akali leadership.

Opponents in Panthic echelons have started taking potshots at the SAD leadership for its long-standing alliance with the BJP, whose prime ministerial candidate has admitted in his autobiography that following his “speech in Parliament, the then Prime Minister Indira Gandhi was forced to use military to liberate the Golden Temple from anti-national elements in 1984”.

It would become very difficult politically for the SAD leadership, who has been condemning the Congress from rooftops for its military action in the Golden Temple, to defend its political alliance with the BJP, whose top leader has claimed that his party played an active role in “liberating the Golden Temple” by using force.

Sukhdev Singh Dhindsa, secretary general, SAD, said he had brought the matter to the notice of Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal. “I have told Badal about the references in Advani’s book with regard to the military action.” He said Badal had not read the book.

Advani’s book has made things more difficult for the SAD leadership.

Such references can make the Congress leadership target SAD in the coming weeks. Following the revelations made by Advani, now Sikh leaders in the Congress can assert that Indira Gandhi was not in favour of military action, but it was the BJP that created a situation for her to order military action.

Through his book, Advani, who obviously wanted to project himself as a rock solid opponent of militancy, has provided the Congress leadership with an opportunity to defend itself on the issue of Operation Bluestar by putting the entire blame on Advani and other BJP leaders.

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2008/20080410/punjab1.htm#7