Classes For Learning The Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji?

jii

jii

the taksali teachers are the best to learn from. This is precisly why Guru Maharaj started the Taksal. As for ghorandhars comments, the akj give a very literal teaching of Gurbani. Gurbani is much deeper than a literal word for word translation. but then again akj do not value katha of Gurbani beyond its literal wording.

The best ustaad will be a Taksali. Nirmale/nihang are equally as good but you aint got many, if any nihangs/nirmale in the uk to give the in-depth knowledge of gurbani. We had a taksali student do santhiya at our gurdwara. Top stuff.

hope this helps.

So far ive not found a taksali who accepts these concepts, but not only do they fail the accept these concepts but they do not give an alternative answer. This is only based on my experience. Sant baba Gurbachan Singh jees book is excellent and can give you a good guide on the kinds of words which can have bindia, phairs haaha etc. its good for its time because before sant Gurbachan Singh jee there was hardely any book the topic, the problem with relying on this approach is that it does not understand grammar so you will never progress if you stick to this ideology.

I suggest you learn from a person who knows gurbani viakaran, whether it be a missionary or any other person. I think AKJ have good knowledge on this topic so maybe you could find a person from their organisation.

Hope all goes well veer jee.

So, before then nobody understood Gurbani rolleyes.gif

If I'm not mistaken, Sant Gurbachan Singh Ji was Mukhi of the Taksal, so how can you say Taksalis don't accept these concepts?

Viakaaran on it's own doesn't uncover the deeper meanings of Gurbani, much of which is poetry and is not to be taken literally. To start with, Jii, it is important to learn correct pronounciation, where to pause etc. For this, Taksali teachers are really good - it's their job.

When it comes to understanding Gurbani, do not limit yourself to one approach - as your avastha grows, each word will take on a different meaning.

Always think of Guru Sahib as your Guru, never just a book.

Grammar always existed, its another matter that we understood the names which were given for the rules. How did Bhai Vir Singh jee translate gurbani which is so close to grammar? the knowledge was clearly with him. A good example is the shabad Lakh karrori band na pari. Have alook at Bhai Vir singh jees translation and explanation and then look at people who translated that shabad according to grammar. You will see that although the principles of gurbani grammar had never been published, Bhai Vir Singh jee translation is correct to grammar and although he does not use grammatical words (such as naam, vasheshan etc) he shows a clear understanding of the meanings of such concepts. I believe there are some countries who do not teach English grammar like the UK, but in India we are adamant on English grammar. in countrys like the UK English is spoken as a first language and they dont necessarily need grammar, but for people in India, without grammar we would have no hope. the same works with gurbani viakaran, the language was spoken according to Viakaran, although people did not learn grammar they could still apply the principle like people in the UK do with English. As language develops however, the old way of speaking has changed and gradually without grammar we struggle to understand how gurbani is pronounced or understood. My grandad for example never knew what grammar was, however he translated gurbani and pronounced gurbani correctly according to viakaran, the reason is because of the spoken language which he learnt. My great grandad could not read, however his translation and pronounciation of gurbani was the same as gurbani viakaran. As punjabi developed it changed drastically from my grandads generation to mine, its changed so much that spoken punjabi no longer helps and we have to look towards grammar. This understanding of spoken language gives us a clear indication why Bhai Vir Singh jees translation is so close to gurbani viakaran.

Matheen jee, i mean that taksalis do not accept the concepts of grammar. Sant Gurbachan Singh jee was the mukhi of the taksal but the taksalis ive heard who do paath do not even bother to follow the bindia he has put in his book. I do not understand what you mean about viakaran not undercovering the deeper meaning, viakaran is grammar, grammar is not only intended to undercover the deeper meaning but also explain the system which the language works, without grammar nothing would make sense, for example the word 'there' and 'their' would mean the same without deeper research. If you read some books on gurbani viakaran you will see how viakaran itself does not say take things literally. What grammar does is help explain where the pronounciation and pause is, for example where in rehras sahib we have the shabad: akha jeeva visrai mar jaoo, akhan akhauu sacha naoo. The words 'jaoo' and 'naoo' have oora and unkar at the end of the word. This indicates that a bindi be put on and the shabad in written in first person. Without grammar a language cannot make sense. I have found that rather than appreciating the amazing system which guru jee has applied, we just think it is nonesense, im not saying you are, but im talking about the general approach of people that i have met. When I have discussed gurbani grammar with linguists and people who have deep knowledge of grammar especially french people, they are shocked at the amazing system and sophisticated nature of gurbani which leaves no doubt in its superiority. Rather than embracing principles we seem to be turning the clock back 100 years ago when Dr Trump a Christian missionary declared Guru Nanak DEv jee to be an illiterate person who could not even spell his name correctly. What grammar did was prove such people wrong and infact showed how much ignorance there was towards gurbani.

I do agree that you should not just look at one approach, after all we are supposed to be a Sikh.

Guest SatwantBeantKehar

If you can register at sikhpassion.com - you will find some very nice english katha. We are also starting katha seva of Daily Hukamnama from Sri Darbar Sahib.