Nindya and Chugli

Mkhalsa

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Slander Steals Your Naam Wealth

What are the characteristics of a GurMukh according to Guru Granth Sahib Jee?

PARR NINDAA NEH SROATH SARVANANN

APP TEYHAAG SAGAL RAINKEHOA ||

One who does not let ones ears listen to slander (nindaa) of others

and obliterates one's ego to become the footdust (rain) of the saints.

(Panna 1357)

PARR NINDAA MUKH TEY NEHEE CHOOTEE

NAIFAL BHAEE SABH SEV ||

One who's mouth does not stop slandering others,

will find that all their sevaa (service and Naam simran) will be fruitless.

(Panna 1353)

Remember Guroo Jee states :

NAAM HAMARAI POOJAA DEV ||

NAAM HAMARAI GUR KEE SEV ||

Repeating Naam is my worship of Guroo Jee

Repeating Naam is sevaa of my Guroo Jee

(Panna 1145)

The GurMukhs perform Guru Jee's service (sevaa) by repeating (japping) Naam.......vahe guroo.. vahe guroo.. vahe guroo...vahe guroo ....vahe guroo ...vahe guroo . So, IF one loves to serve Guru Jee by repeating Naam from their mouth and loves to listen to Naam with their ears. THEN how can they bear to slander others with that same mouth and listen to the slander of others with those same ears ???

JAAHOO GURDEV PAAR NIND THEYAGEE ||

Go to Guru Jee only after you have renounced the slandering of others.

(Panna 1166)

NINDAA KAR KAR BOH BHAR UTHAVAA

BIN MAJUREE BHAR PACHCHAVANIA||

By continually slandering you carry the heavy load of sins,

and finally-get trapped under it.

(Panna 118)

GurMukhs renounce the slander of others and accumulate the we

alth of Naam instead.

NAAM HAMARAI NIRMAL BIOAHAAR ||

Naam is my true business,

through which one yields pure wealth...

(Panna 1145)

If one participates or listens to any sort of slander, one will lose the yields of their Naam wealth. Run away discreetly from people who indulge in slander of others no matter who they are. Slandering is a false sweetness. One should strive to be be like the ladle which stirs sweet and sour things yet cannot taste it. Do not let the taste of slander effect you in this sweet and sour world.

All of your Naam Wealth that you collected through long hours of meditation, will all be rapidly lost if you engage in slander. Our dog mind wants to lick the slander stone more and more for it's false taste. But its never worth giving this dog a chance. Whoever does slander is a worldy person, Manmukh, and doesn't have the Guru's Word (shabad) ingrained in their mind.

Does you really need the company (sangat) of such a person?

Let us try to be, by the grace of Vaahi-guroo jee, a Gurmukh and do heavy Naam Simran, Naam Japping and look after our invaluable, inestimableNaam Wealth.

http://www.gurmatps.org

Guest SikhForLife

nindya i was told is.. talking Crap abot ppl.. but being hypocrite on it..

like u have the same quality/do the same thing but ur talking bad about other ppl who have it/do it..

chugli.. is prob.. talking about people behind their backs to defame them..

learned the definition in MD from a buddy last weekend

is it correct?

i do both.. its really bad..

:) @

i see so much of this stuff on these forums and yet we know its bad. But even more dangerous part is that we try to justify it with oh look at this link and that link and see so its ok to talk bad about him because its the truth.

Regardless if it is true or not, why is it necessary to bad mouth ANYONE. Let him be bad, but why fill you mouth with someone elses dirt just so you can voice it to others. so Anger arise within you because of the actions of another, the bad things he has dones. Because you decided to pickup someones personal hatred and tried to show it to other, you yourself have become dirty, in doing so you have slung that dirt on other and it has angered them.

Do not confuse this with speaking the Truth, but know when it is necessary to step in and speak it and when it is best ignored.

UNDERSTAND THIS:

Jesus said:.....for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

Don't be bothered about the just and the unust.  Look at God.  His clouds come and shower on both the just and the unjust.  His sun comes and gives light and life to both good and bad.  So why are you worried?  God goes on giving energy to all.

So please don't become a reformer.  Remember, if you want to reform yourself, don't become a reformer, because you do either one or the other.  If you become a reformer, you start changing other people.  Don't become a reformer, if you want to be reformed. 

Then preserve your engery.  And the miracle is that if you are reformed, if you are transformed, then many will be transformed through you.  Your very catalytic presence will be enough.  Just your being there, and many will be thrilled with the unknown.  Just your touch, and something will start vibrating in them. 

Not that you have to do much, just, if your light is burning, people will start coming towards you; groping in the dark, they will start moving towards you.  And as they will be coming closer and closer and closer, one day the unlit lamp becomes lit thru the one who is already lit.  The flame jumps from one place to another.  Just closeness is needed.

Waheguru.

Guest SikhForLife

wow this one of the better threads on this forum

i do soo much nindya and chugli

.. i need help.. i need to read more stories and words of wisdom..

anyone know any gurbani shabads on this subject?

Guest mehtab

http://www.gurbani.org/webart59.htm

SLANDER: NINDAA

Slander me, slander me — go ahead, people, and slander me. Slander

is pleasing to God's humble servant. Slander is my father, slander is

my mother. If I am slandered, I go to heaven; the wealth of God's

Name abides Within my mind... The slanderer is drowned, while I

am carried across (sggs 339). No one believes what the slanderer

says. The slanderer tells lies, and later regrets and repents.

He wrings his hands, and hits his head against the ground.

God does not forgive the slanderer (sggs 1153).

<><><><>

Kabeer Sahib had a jealous neighbor, whose only pastime was to slander (Nindaa) Kabeer. One day the foolish slanderer died. People thought the news of his death must make Kabeer very happy. To the contrary, when Kabeer found out about it, he became very sad. His devotees naturally inquired as to why he was sad instead of being happy now that his slanderer is dead. Kabeer said "the reason I feel sad, now as my slanderer is gone, who will wash my sins off and take upon himself". According to the Gurbani (Sri Guru Granth Sahib, SGGS), there are countless such slanderers (Nindak), struggling in Maya.

Kayee kot par dookhnaa karahi. Kayee kot maya sram maahi: Many millions slander others. Many millions struggle in Maya (sggs 275).

A janitor spends his time in inspecting and cleaning filth of others; then he loads it up and carries on his head. A slanderer is a self-appointed Bhangee (janitor) who finds faults in others and then, by engaging in gossip and backbite, carries the load of their trash (sins

) on his own head. In the process, he simply ends up turning his own body, mind and intellect into a "trash basket" for the sins of others. Very appropriately, the Gurbani compares slanderers to a "cleaning-woman".

Kubudh doomnee kudayiyaa kasaayan par nindaa ghat chooharee muthee karodh chandaal: False-mindedness is the drummer-woman; cruelty is the butcheress; slander of others in one’s heart is the cleaning-woman, and deceitful anger is the outcast-woman (sggs 91).

Nindak nindaa kar mal dhovai oh malbhakh mayadhaaree: By slandering, the slanderer washes other's filth and he is the filth eater and a Maya worshipper (sggs 507).

These verses make it clear that the calamity is of the slanderer, not of the slandered. As such, slanderers are considered to be very beneficial for their victims! It is the slanderer, for example, who helps his victims become purified and ultimately liberated. Slanderers are thus said to clear the way of devotees for emancipation. In the process, however, slanderers rot and waste away in the birth-death cycle.

Nindak nindai mujhai piyaaraa. jis nindahi soyee bidhi jaanai Gur kai Shabade dar neesaanai: The slanderer slanders me, but even so, I love him. He alone knows the way, who has been slandered. Through the Shabad, he is stamped with God's Insignia in His Court (sggs 1330).

Tootee nindak kee adhbeech: The slanderer is destroyed in mid-stream (sggs 1224).

Nindak ahilaa janam gavaayaa. Pahuch na saake kaahoo baatai aagai thayur na paya.....: The slanderer loses his life in vain. He cannot succeed in anything, and in the world hereafter, he finds no place at all. Such is the fate of the wretched slanderer — what can the poor creature do? (sggs 380).

A body scorched with fire develops blisters. With his own words, a slanderer constantly scorches his inner psyche; making his psyche blister with the action and attitude of slandering. By making slandering his intimate habit, he brings him repeated shame and pain; here and h

ereafter. In the love of duality, he thus sleeps in the ignorance of the Self.

...Os age pichhai dhoyee naahee jis andar nindaa muh amb payaa: .. The slanderer will find no shelter here or hereafter; his mouth blisters with the slander in his heart (sggs 307).

Slanderer can be likened to a person who, standing on the branch, smilingly cuts down the tree! He falls down headfirst and is shattered into bits and pieces. The habit of slandering thus brings manifold calamity unto the slanderer. Because of the "craziness" he has adopted, his life becomes unstable like a "wall of sand", he drowns himself and his generation. Cast into the hellish cycle of reincarnation, he loses his realm and power; he finds no salvation at all; and he eats only that which he himself has planted. As the Gurbani says, he is worse than a thief, a lecher and a gambler; who finds no happiness. Now, is there any wisdom in slandering and carrying the loads of sins of others for nothing?

Pardhan par tan par tee nindaa akhaadh khaahi harkaayaa: Others’ wealth, others’ wives and the slander of others — eating the uneatable, you have gone crazy (sggs 402)

Nindak mooyaa upaj wad taap. Tin maariyaa je rakhe na koyi. Aagai paachhai mandee soyi: The slanderer died after contracting the deadly fever of slander. He is killed by God, and no one can save him. Here and hereafter, his reputation is evil (sggs 199).

What is the source of this demoniac habit? If we conduct Spiritual-inquiry (Shabad-Vichaar) as recommended in the Gurbani and ask: "Who is it that crave for slandering? Whose temptation is it?". All pointers will lead to only in one direction: the false ego-sense. In other words, slandering is the characteristic of egoism. Inflated ego gives rise to corrupt intellect (thoughts), deluded mind (feelings), and defiled senses.

Jan nirvair nindak ahankaaree. Jan bhal maanahi nindak bekaaree: The God's slave is uninimical, and the slanderer is egotistical. God's humble servant wishes well, while t

he slanderer dwells on evil (sggs 869).

Manmukh hayumai maya soote. Apnaa ghar na samaalahi ant vigoote. Par nindaa karahi bahu chintaa jaalai dukhe dukh nivaasee he: The Manmukhs are asleep in egotism and Maya. They do not watch over their own homes, and are ruined in the end. They slander others, and burn in great anxiety; they dwell in pain and suffering (sggs 1049).

Kaya kasudh hayumai mal laayee: Impure is the body which is soiled with the filth of ego (sggs 1045).

Slandering is a disease of instinctive mind which always floats in the externalities of the material world. In love and attachment to Maya, one loses his understanding of the matter and Spirit. Maya is the root of false ego, the cause of man's present troubles. In its risen condition, false ego plays through the senses and sees the world of names and shapes. Mind free to escape through the corrupt senses becomes subjected to perversions such as lust, anger, greed, attachment, pride, jealously and stubborn mindedness. Such abnormal use of mind gives rise to desire and fear, worry, doubt, anxiety, nervousness, and wrath. One of the manifestations of these destructive modes is the symptom of slander.

Antar lobh phirahi halkaaye. Nindaa karahi sir bhaar uthaaye......: Within them is greed, and they wander around like mad dogs. They slander others and carry loads of sin upon their heads. Intoxicated by Maya, they do not think of God. Deluded by doubt, they wander off on many paths. Outwardly, they wear various religious robes, but within, they are enveloped by poison (sggs 372).

Ahinas nindaa taat praayee hirdai Naam na sarab dayaa.....: Day and night, you jealously slander others; in your heart, you have neither the Naam, nor compassion for all. Without the Shabad, you will not find salvation or honor. Without God’s Name, you will go to hell. In an instant, you change into various costumes, like a juggler; you are entangled in emotional attachment and sin. You gaze here and there upon the expanse of Maya; be

cause you are intoxicated with attachment to this Maya. You act in corruption, and put on ostentatious shows, but without awareness of the Shabad, you have fallen into confusion. You suffer great pain from the disease of egotism. Following the Gurmat, you will be rid of this disease (sggs 906).

Because of corrupted psyche, a slanderer develops evil instincts toward others such as faultfinding, hating, resenting, committing fraud and cruelty. He feels painful and resentful at the betterment of others, and would feel happy only when some miseries befall on them. The Gurbani asks us to form a partnership for sharing in virtues by abandoning our faults. However, the slanderer can neither share in goodness nor abandon his faults. It is like a serpent's venom; it destroys his body, nature, and personality.

Nindak aise hee jhar pareeyai. Ih neesaanee sunahu tum bhaayee jiyu kaalar bheet gireeyai......: Thus, the slanderer crumbles away. This is the distinctive sign of a slanderer — listen, O Siblings of Destiny: he collapses like a wall of saltpetre. When the slanderer sees a fault in someone else, he is pleased. Seeing goodness, he is depressed (sggs 823).

The impurity of the mind is greed, the impurity of the tongue is falsehood, the impurity of the eyes is to gaze upon the beauty of another man’s wife and his wealth, the impurity of hands is to perform ungodly acts, and the impurity of feet is to walk on ungodly path. Similarly, the impurity of the ears is to listen to the slander of others. In other words, both the slanderer and the listener are equal partner in this false trade.

Nindak muyaa nindak kai naal: The slanderer dies with the rest of the slanderers (sggs 1151).

Mithiyaa saravan par nindaa sunai: False are the ears which listen to the slander of others (sggs 268).

A slanderer in the Gurbani is compared to a Manmukh (material being) who hates holiness. As such, he is the embodiment of evil instincts, who wanders around in doubt and duality. As a result, he

practices excessive indulgences and falsehood. He cannot meditate (Japa or Naam-Simran), because his mind is filthy and polluted — deep within, it is soiled and stained by the love of Maya (ignorance, delusion, and ego-sense, etc.). Such mind cannot attain perfection or intuitive understanding of the Gurbani, for its intellect is dimmed by material contamination. Tossed by the waves of lust, anger and greed, it suffers in pain. As paper breaks down and dissolves in water, the slanderer wastes away in delusion. Such cynics chase after the mirage of Maya, and end up wandering in the desert of material existence. Thus, the life of a slanderer becomes useless; he comes and goes in shame.

Aapas kayu bahu bhalaa kar jaanahi manmukh mat na kaayee. Saadhoo jan ki nindaa viyaapai jaasan janam gavaayee: The Manmukh sees himself as being very virtuous; he has absolutely no understanding at all. He indulges in slander of the humble spiritual people; he wastes his life away, and then he has to depart (sggs 601).

The Gurbani does not approve of slandering of anyone in any circumstances; no matter how compelling it may seems to slander someone. This is the Gurbani's position. There is no "if", "but", "this" and "that". Why are the scriptures and the Realized Men so adamantly against slandering? As discussed earlier, it is not the pure Self, rather it is the deluded ego that craves for slandering. Destruction of this false ego is the purpose of human life, not other way around. Trying to justify slandering is like falling into the coal-pit; again and again, and then try to shake the body off!

Nindaa bhalee kisai kee naahee manmukh mughad karann. Muh kaale tin nindkaa narke ghor pavann: It is not good to slander anyone, but the foolish Manmukhs still do it. The faces of the slanderers turn black, and they fall into the most horrible hell (sggs 756).

To a Spiritually Wise (Gurmukh), what is bad is a good, and what is good is a good! The scriptures disapprove of slandering because there

is no such thing as good-or-bad. Such concept of duality or doubt arises in false ego only. In Pure Consciousness, there is no good; there is no bad. Therefore, the scriptures ask us to throw out the false concept of good-and-bad along with a lot of other phony ideas. In Pure Consciousness, Waheguru, there do not exist a Higher State of Consciousness or a lower state of consciousness; for it is just One Homogeneous Oneness.

Ustat nindaa kare kiyaa koyee. jaa aape vartai eko soyee: How can anyone praise or slander anyone else? The One God Himself is pervading and permeating all (sggs 1128).

Nandayu naahee kaahoo baatai eh khasam kaa keeya: Don’t indulge in slander for any reason, for everything is the creation of God (sggs 612).

Ham nahee change buraa nahee koyi: I am not good; no one is bad (sggs 728).

Because of serious effects or consequences, the scriptures discourage slandering of anyone in general, but with a special emphasis on avoiding slander of God or His true devotees. Such emphasis indicates that slandering of true devotees carries more weight, thus more serious reactions. The Supreme is beyond all. Therefore, what it boils down to is this: "What do I want out of this life"? For example, if worldly entanglements are desired, then actions such as slandering can apparently be very helpful in increasing the spell of bondage! To the contrary, if Freedom from bondage is the goal, then the abandonment of false ego along with its characteristics are advised by the Spiritual Masters and the scriptures.

Sant ki nindaa dokh mahi dokh. Nanak sant bhaavai taa us kaa hoyi mokh: To slander a saintly soul is the worst sin of sins. O Nanak, such slanderer of a saint can never attains liberation until the saint showers his grace on him (sggs 280).

A sin commited elsewhere is washed off when one comes in contact with a saintly soul, whereas maligning a saintly soul is a sin which can never be atoned for until the saint showers Grace on him (Skand Puraanaa).

A

crane spreads his feathers to look like a swan; but he can never become a swan. Similarly, the existence of a slanderer is like a wall of sand; his hollowness comes into the open within no time. The moment he speaks with his mouth, he is exposed and driven out. In other words, he tastes his own medicine and suffers. As fruits of his own actions, he inflicts severe misery upon himself; here and hereafter. This is the edict of the scriptures.

Naaraayan nindas kaayi bhoolee gavaaree. Dukrit sukrit thaaro karam ree: Why do you slander God? You are ignorant and deluded. Pain and pleasure are the result of your own actions (sggs 695).

Nindaa kahaa karahu sansaraa. Nindak kaa pargat paahaaraa....: The emptiness of the slanderer is soon exposed. I have carefully thought about the fate of the slanderer. Says Ravi Daas, he is a sinner; he goes to hell (sggs 876).

Apne daas kayu kanth lagaavai. Nindak kayu agan mahi paavai: God hugs His slave close in His Embrace. He throws the slanderer into the fire (sggs 1139).

Renounce the urge for "the slander of others", thunders the Gurbani. The godly souls and scriptures teach us to leave behind all mental perversions and become carefree. They urge us to break the chains of doubt, and remain affectionately unattached. They roar this rare life is meant to seek the Self, not contradicting the world around. The worldly truth is based on relativity, however, the Absolute Truth is self-existence (Saibhang). As such, nothing is hidden from the All-pervading Divine Presence, which is beyond all worldly conditioning and impurity. The Gurbani asks us to seek that Truth. But, seeking Truth requires turning the mind inward by detaching it from externalities of worldly existence. Not easy at all!

Par dhan pardaaraa par nindaa in siyu preet nivaar. Charan kamal sevee rid antar gur poore kai aadhaar: Others’ wealth, others’ wives, and the slander of others — renounce your craving for these. Serve God's Lotus Feet Within your Heart, and hold to the Suppo

rt of the Perfect Guru (sggs 379).

Par dhan par tan par kee nindaa in siyu preet na laagai. Santah sang sant sanbhaakhan Hari Kirtan man jaagai: Others’ wealth, others’ bodies, and the slander of others — do not attach your love to them. Associate with the Wise, speak with the Wise, and keep your mind awake to the Hari-Kirtan (sggs 675).

What is the cure? The instinct for slandering exists because of inflated ego. Once the ego-sense is thinned out, many evil urges such as slandering will lose their grip on us. False ego arises from ignorance of the Self (absence of the Self-knowledge). Since the ego-sense is false, so are its branches such as slandering, conflicts, jealousy, and so on. Accordingly, a Spiritually Wise person (Gurmukh) will renounce all cravings and temptations for slandering. Instead, he will attach his love to his real Self only, because everything is in Self and the Self is in everything. For that to happen, the Gurbani recommends the process of selfless service (Sevaa), Self-inquiry (Vichaar), meditation (Japa or Naam-Simran), constant Spiritual Company within and without, selfless Love and devotion, diligent study of the scriptures, and so on.

Kaam krodh lobh mad nindaa saadh sang mitiyaa abhimaan: Lust, anger, intoxication, egoism, slander and egotistical pride are eradicted in the Saadh Sangat (sggs 1151).

Parhar lobh nindaa koor tiyaagahu sach gur bachnee phal paahee jeeyu: Let greed and slander be far away from you, and renounce falsehood; through the Shabad (Naam), you will obtain the true fruit (sggs 598).

Kaam krodh lobh jhooth nindaa in te aap shadaavahu. Ih bheetar te in kayu daarayu aapan nikat bulaavahu: Lust, anger, greed, falsehood and slander — please, save me from these, O God. Please eradicate these from within me, and call me to come close to You (sggs 617).

Shodihu nindaa taat paraayee: Abandon slander and envy of others (sggs 1026).

—T. Singh