Is The Police Force Racist?

Big_Tera

Nowdays I don't think people will be overtly racist but there is always an undercurrent of racism everywhere. The way to approach this is to be confident and be friendly and approachable to members of the public as well as colleagues. Some of the negativity that you might be come across from members of the public is due to the perception through the media that PCSOs are 'policing on th cheap' and that you don't have the same powers as normal police officers. My work involves closely working with the police and other government departments and this is almost the universal perception within the police.

As for racism in the police force there has been a great deal of changes since the Stephen Lawrence enquiry and the feelings of most Police I come across is that they need to think twice before they can even make a joke just incase they come across as racist.

I don't think you need to worry but if you still have doubts then I would look into getting a transfer into your own borough. You can cite family commitments as the reasons because if you say what you really feel then unless you present them with evidence then they will most likely reject it.

Good luck in your new job!

I have friends who are police officers they believe that institutional racism still exists within the force. True The Steven Lawrence inquiry did highlight the problems of institutional Racism within the met and other forces across the country. Macpherson severely criticised the police about it handling of the investigation and the deep rooted institutional racism which was its cause. According to my friends who serve in the Met and Thames valley constabularies it’s more of a case watching what you say rather than educating the Police about diversity and equality. They claim stereotyping on the grounds of race, culture, ethnicity still exists even more so after 9/11 and the London bombings but its just a case of being aware of what an individual officer may say and do that may bring them and the force into disrepute.