How Can We Change Our Image :(

Eshani

Sat Sri Akal,

It is really an irony that sikhs being one of most bravest race, most generous and god loving are widely seen in India as people of low intelligence.

I will say most of sikhs have been hurt in one way or another. Young kids going to schools and at noon everyone laughs at sikh kids, atleast in many private schools.I have seen kids showing disrespect for sikhi because of humilation faced.

You can understand what is for young kids to be laughed at regularly without any fault, to be insulted. So what we can do?

Cracking jokes at Sardars portraying them as only intrested in wrong stuf **** is common.

I can say in all IT firms in India, in which my brother works many mails internal mails comprised of sardar jokes.

There is no pride felt by kids it becomes burden for them, you cant tell them to recite name, as they are too young.

We need to have some program to portray true meaning of sikhs.

Sorry all stuff is that some college students made fun of my father cracking degratory jokes on him as he is sikh with long beard and i really got very sad. Just i can imagine what happens to others.

The only thing needed is to give feeling of proudness of being a sikh to all sikhs.

Please forgive me, this was pain in my heart,feels relieved after sharing my sadness.

Once sardarji's stop acting like jokes then maybe things can change

Images are not made up - they tend to come out from observations.

I agree with this. But I do think, as far as the popular image is concerned, Bollywood films nearly always have a token Singh who is there for bhangra-based comedy nonsense.

Whereas in Veer-Zara, for example, the Sikh woman (adopted grandmother of Pakistani muslim family) and old man in Gurudwara who helped scatter her ashes, were both kind and wise people - the ideal picture of Sikhs.