Why Arn't Thier More Sikh Athletes

mandeep99

plus we can't blame racism, if racism is the factor then that should give our ppl more fire to make it, some of the first black athletes broke through because they used racism as a way to fuel themselves, plus im guessing when you talk about clubs your talking about england and they've already let one sikh come play at the top level but i don't think its racism cause he didn't make it though their was alot of hype behind him, harp singh. I believe their's not enough parantal and community support to help these guys excel and live up to potential. Not racism. If it had to do with racism that just fires ppl up even more and they just use that to make themselves better.

My question shouldn't focus on what keeps sikhs living up to their potential in athletics.

I should change it to, how can we get more support in the community and encourage more sikh athletes.

May have something to do with the whole desi mentality that sports is not of a "high enough standard" :D

Or as my dad used to say, you can only play sports till about 35-40, after that mostly likely your body won't hold up.

Basically, it comes down to, 'my son/daughter is playing sports and won't be a engineer/doctor/lawyer. How am I going to show my face to my friends and relatives" nonono.gif

Parants need to be educated on benifits

sports helps build confidence teaches them team work and leadership skills and disipline and goal setting. Right now were i live not to many sikhs are becomming docters and lawyers cause they don't want to or cause they dropping out of school.

Honestly we need more role models in our community and i think having more athletes is a help, having sikh athletes who can go to the top in their sport and encourage and help other sikh youth believe that they can do it as well.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahh... Basketball rolleyes.gif

Ill be the first . :D Hopefully .

its not that ther isnt any sikh talented sporty people, its just that clubs, sports managaers etc... dont like the look of something very different, they keep it simple do 'normal people'

I have to disagree... I made the State Basketball Team and in my first Practice my Coach came up to me and said that during the tryouts right when he laid eyes on me he could see that i was different but that was why he kept looking at me... why he kept up with me. Looking different from everyone else helped me to make the team.

By the way there were like 300 people trying out for 24 spots and I was the only Sikh amongst them.

thats awsome go far as you can, how old are you. So far Pasha bains was closest in baskitball to go NBA and was two time canadian univirsity baskitball scoring champion and mvp.

Just believe you can

henry ford put it best what ever the mind can conceive and believe it can acheive.

all the sikh athletes right now

PARM PHANGURA canadian national weightlifting champ

http://www.voiceonline.com/voice/070609/headline5.php

The khalsa school cleaned house in medals

http://www.voiceonline.com/voice/070616/headline5.php

lions weightlifting school

http://www.voiceonline.com/voice/070127/headline3.php

manjot sandhu 4 gold medals 1 provincal 2 national and gold in pan american games

http://www.wrestling.ca/news/article.php?id=996

http://www.voiceonline.com/voice/070825/headline5.php

arjun bhullar national candian wrestling champ and also going to the olympics for canada

http://www.wrestling.ca/athletes/athlete.php?id=69

From england they got some crazy punjabi fighters theirs kash gill former 3 time world kickboxing champion

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kash_Gill

Akash Bhatia profesional boxer

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=NUaM_5McC74

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akash_Bhatia

Theirs kultar gill from canada he was ranked as the number 1 lightweight mixed martial arts fighter in canada and won a few titles

Pacific Northwest Muay Thai champion, Pacific Northwest MMA champion, Canadian Muay Thai champion, Superbrawl North American champion, North American Muay Thai champion and he fights professionaly in K1

MANJOT SANDHU: FIRST INDO-CANADIAN TO WIN GOLD IN PAN AMERICAN CADET CHAMPIONSHIPS

story5.jpg This was the fourth gold medal that 17-year-old wrestler Manjot Sandhu, a grade 11 student of Cloverdale's Lord Tweedsmuir secondary school, bagged this year - but definitely the most prestigious.

Manjot won the gold in the 85 kg. category at the Pan American Cadet Championships held in Panama City from August 15 to 20. He beat Ecuador's Jairo Gonzalez in the final bout and became the first Indo-Canadian to win a gold medal in the championships.

He was also the only wrestler from B.C. to win a gold for Team Canada that won 5 gold medals in the 10 categories for males.

In February, Manjot came first in the 84 kg. Category in the B.C. High School Wrestling Championships.

He followed that up with a gold at the National Juvenile Championships in Toronto in April, and another gold at the Canada Cup in July, also in Toronto, where he competed in the 85 kg. Category, which qualified him for the Pan American Cadet Championships.

Manjot told The VOICE that he was very grateful to his personal coach Garry Garfield and to Khalsa Wrestling Club coach Balbir Singh Dhesi, who's been training him since he started wrestling six years ago.

Manjot is a member of the Khalsa Wrestling Club that is actually located on his family farm in Cloverdale at 50 Avenue and 160 Street.

Manjot's father's elder brother, Makhan Sandhu, is a famous weight lifting coach at Lions Weightlifting Club.

I was reading up on sociological context of this out of interest recently on why there arent many Asians playing Football (soccer) in the UK; even a recent BBC documentary hinted at the same conclusion that the culture of Sport in the west doesnt sit well with the Cultures of Asians.

For example your average lower league football team celebrates a win with a piss up down your local pub, or for a new player there are drunken initiation ceromonies. All Sports Socities in the top institutions around the UK have regular Piss-up bonding sessions... beleive me Ive seen them! Loughborough Uni, Brunel Uni, Bath etc who produve UK Athletes.

It also explains why Asians generally dont feel comfortable going to sporting grounds either where there is regular swearing drinking etc....

The Asians that have made it through either dont practice or have deep rooted punjabi culture going on (for example) or there has been a local inceitive within their own respective communtity which barely get investment... no one is investing in sports centres in Asian Areas compared to "ghettos" where Apnay dont live.

And off course Parental expectations...even Monty Panesar had to complete his degree before he was allowed into Sport... but this isnt the biggest Problem... its a Clash of Cultures.

How else would you explain so many Apnay in Cricket? where the culture and investment is different compared to other sports.

It's simple really:

1) Not good enough

or

2) Your parents want you to be a doctor etc - no support

Racism is NOT a factor. Look at the black English football players (the real football), they've made it. Some even play for England. Look at Monty Panesar, he's a top player, playing for the England cricket team. Obviously he made the grade. You're either good enough or you're not.

In the English cricket team, there's Monty, Ravinder Bopara, and Sajid Mahmood. So theres three Asian players in a single squad. There is enough Asian talent in cricket, just not for other major sports such as football etc.

Harpal Singh played for Leeds if I remember correctly. Also there is Michael Chopra who currently plays for Sunderland in the Premier league.

It's simple really:

1) Not good enough

or

Racism is NOT a factor. Look at the black English football players (the real football), they've made it. Some even play for England. Look at Monty Panesar, he's a top player, playing for the England cricket team. Obviously he made the grade. You're either good enough or you're not.

In the English cricket team, there's Monty, Ravinder Bopara, and Sajid Mahmood. So theres three Asian players in a single squad. There is enough Asian talent in cricket, just not for other major sports such as football etc.

Harpal Singh played for Leeds if I remember correctly. Also there is Michael Chopra who currently plays for Sunderland in the Premier league.

Thank you. I hate how people will pull out their "race card" on this issue. Racism isn't an issue in sports anymore.

I think in the future we will see tons of Punjabi athletes since our community will be more settled in the west and more liberal minded that we will be okay with our kids playing sports instead of becoming doctors, lawyers etc...

I was reading up on sociological context of this out of interest recently on why there arent many Asians playing Football (soccer) in the UK; even a recent BBC documentary hinted at the same conclusion that the culture of Sport in the west doesnt sit well with the Cultures of Asians.

For example your average lower league football team celebrates a win with a piss up down your local pub, or for a new player there are drunken initiation ceromonies. All Sports Socities in the top institutions around the UK have regular Piss-up bonding sessions... beleive me Ive seen them! Loughborough Uni, Brunel Uni, Bath etc who produve UK Athletes.

It also explains why Asians generally dont feel comfortable going to sporting grounds either where there is regular swearing drinking etc....

The Asians that have made it through either dont practice or have deep rooted punjabi culture going on (for example) or there has been a local inceitive within their own respective communtity which barely get investment... no one is investing in sports centres in Asian Areas compared to "ghettos" where Apnay dont live.

And off course Parental expectations...even Monty Panesar had to complete his degree before he was allowed into Sport... but this isnt the biggest Problem... its a Clash of Cultures.

How else would you explain so many Apnay in Cricket? where the culture and investment is different compared to other sports.

Hey, Canada is starting to produce decent apna footy players. Heck, our last U-16 national team had 5 apnay on them. One of them might end up in Glasgow Celtic academy according to his coach.

It's simple really:

1) Not good enough

or

Thank you. I hate how people will pull out their "race card" on this issue. Racism isn't an issue in sports anymore.

I think in the future we will see tons of Punjabi athletes since our community will be more settled in the west and more liberal minded that we will be okay with our kids playing sports instead of becoming doctors, lawyers etc...

Hey, Canada is starting to produce decent apna footy players. Heck, our last U-16 national team had 5 apnay on them. One of them might end up in Glasgow Celtic academy according to his coach.

who were the players i read this one article talking about two guys from vancouver being scouted by european teams ill find the article and post it.