Pharmacology

singhni

Vahegurujikakhalsa Vahegurujikifateh

I just wanted to ask does anyone here study pharmacology...or psychopharmacology and is atleast in 2nd year of uni? blink.gif

Thanks,

Vahegurujikakhalsa Vahegurujikifateh

WJKK WJKF

I did pharmacology module (Basic Stuff) in my first year at uni and im doing one this year aswell advanced stuff). Im in third year now by the way.

My medical course consists of an ongoing lecs/topics on pharmacology becuase my course is regionally based

So ive done the pharmacology of Cardio/Respiratory, Locomotor, Endocrine, Neurology (LOVE IT!), and doig reproductive system now

what kind of help do u require?

I'm trying 2 get a singh who does pharmacology (3rd yr) to come bak onto Sikhsangat.. i'll see what i can do..

aaah i completely forgot i posted this topic.

but i really need some help

Im doing psychology asa degree but as a subsid(extra course thingy) im doing a module on drugs and the mind, in the pharmacology departmentI'm supposed to write an essay on Hallunicogenic drugs and how they produce their effects, but im finding it a bit difficult. Ive got papers and a textbook, but as i've never done pharmacology and im a bit rubbish at biology im getting confused with all the neurotransmitter stuff, agonist/antagonist stuff

AAAAh

help! anyone lol

blink.gif

a neurotransmitter is a chemical released at synapses (gaps between) neurons. it is used for communication between two nerves. when transmitter is released from the pre synaptic terminal it will bind to receptors on the post synaptic terminal (neuron), in most cases it will cause the neuron to be excited and produce a action potential (current). this current of like electricity is then passed along neurons until it gets to its target cells in different tissues/organs.

neurotransmitters may include dopamine, noradrenaline and serotonin

a agonist, is a chemical that binds a receptor and activates it, i.e produces an effect. activates the receptor to produce the effect it is designed to produce.

an antagonist, is a chemical that binds a receptor but doesnt cause adn effect. it will just sit in the receptor binding site and not do anything. it will block agonists from binding the receptor. therefore you will see that the receptor function is compromised i.e the receptor is not producing the effect it is designed to do. however in most cases if we increase the concentratio of agonist then this overcomes the antagonist and kicks it out from the receptor binding site. the agonist can now bind and activate the receptor.

the hallucigenic effect of drugs will be a result of neurotransmitters acting on particular receptors that cause this side effect. alot of drugs of abuse cause hallucinations.

if you want any more detail, then please feel free to ask specific questions and i will try and explain when time allows. other members of ss probably know more than me tho.