Hindu Girl And Sikhi

SikhRoots

Interestingly, Derby Sikh Society appeals to more than just Sikhs. Anita is a Hindu girl who attends the Society meetings and events and, although belonging to the Hindu religion, she has come to learn more about Sikh and respect the tennents of the faith.

We caught up with her to find out a bit about her and how she found her introduction to Sikhi.

1. Are you a proud Hindu? And have you learnt about Hinduism?

Yes, I was born a Hindu and I am proud. I have learnt about Hinduism from my parents and at Hindi School.

2. Are you a devout Hindu? And are you eager to learn more about Hinduism?

I wouldn’t say I am very religious, but I am interested to learn more. It is difficult to find someone to teach you more about it.

3. What do you think of the Hindu gods and goddesses?

I have always believed that there is one god, but that god has different forms.

4. What got you interested in Sikhism?

A few of my friends at university wanted to join the Sikh Society. I just went along with them to the first lecture. After the first lecture I became really interested and wanted to know more.

5. What in the first lecture interested you?

To be honest I didn’t know anything about Sikhism at all. I just thought it was about appearances, not cutting your hair and covering your head. I had expected a typical religious lecture where people sit and listen to someone preaching about religion. Sikh Society was not like that at all. The people were really friendly and we were taught in small groups so we could truly learn about Sikhism and ask questions without feeling intimidated. I learnt so much in the first lecture about how Sikhism was formed and how it came about after other religions such as Hinduism, Christianity and Islam. All of the lectures were linked so it all made perfect sense, there was a reason and proof for everything.

6. From learning about Sikhism what has interested you the most?

The lecture on death interested me the most. I learnt what happens after death why Naam and Gurbani are so important.

7. Have you started Naam Simran and practising Gurbani?

Yes, I first started Naam Simran and Gurbani with others at the Sikh Society lectures. I now know the Mool Mantra by heart and I do Naam Simran whenever I feel the need to.

8. Why is Amrit so important?

Naam Simran and Gurbani help to discipline you and remove the vices within you. Taking Amrit removes all the bad karma from your present life and past lives. Amrit can immortalise the soul, giving the chance to be one with god.

9. Will you ever take Amrit?

It is difficult to say if I will ever be disciplined enough to take Amrit. If I can become more disciplined through Naam Simran and Gurbani then I do hope to take Amrit one day.

10. Have you bowed in front of Guru Granth Sahib Ji and did you feel as though you were bowing to a true guru?

Since learning about Sikhism, I have been to the Gurdwara many times and have always bowed in front of Guru Granth Sahib Ji. I now understand that Guru Granth Sahib Ji is the 11th living guru. The Sikh Society has given me a new perspective on religion and God. The Sikh Society was completely different to what I had expected. There are no typical religious lectures and no intimidating or ‘militant’ Sikhs who preach about their religion. It is a friendly society that welcomes all faiths. So if you truly want to learn about Sikhism and God then come along to the Sikh Society.

Its great that she is interested in our Sikh faith. This bothered me though :

"I now understand that Guru Granth Sahib Ji is the 11th living guru."

Isn't the Guru Khalsa Panth our living guru?

no

sggs is our 11th and everlasting guru