Memorizing Bani

2desi

waheguruji ka khalsa. waheguruji ki fateh.

daily nitnem is a revision, which goes on until we breathe our last. if we remain dedicated in full love, even in just reading correctly, one word at a time, it cannot equal the person who has memorised all of nitnem and yet has not absorbed word for word into his/her being in thought, word and action.

my advice would be not to make memorising bani as an ambition – it will happen when you least know it. even great gurmukhs recited from gutka sahib, though they knew everything off heart. it does help, however, when you suddenly feel inspired to japp naam (in the from of nitnem, for example), what you have recited over the years will automatically come to you. do not feel disappointed if you cannot remember any bani in its complete form. recite from memory what you can clearly remember and it is sufficient.

i would further advice that you do ardas to be guided to correct pronunciation, nitnem on time every time and continued and growing pyaar for the guru and His Word (Bani).

blessings to you.

waheguruji ka khalsa. waheguruji ki fateh.

yhh and listening to bani helps TONNES trust me..... after a couple of times .. u will be able to recite along ... really helps! :s
do ardas
dont miss your nitnem and you'll automatically memorize it

Nitnem can be like revising

Also just to add to the above when you have learnt a "sufficient" amount so to speak, record yourself, and then play it back whilst following with a GutkaSahib just to ensure you are on the right track!
if it is your nitnem bani - what i suggest is just do the bani daily and you will memorise it in a few short months -

Sri Jap Jee Sahib is an extremely easy gurbani to learn, if one does it everyday it should'nt be difficult at all. After doing jap jee sahib for one year, i remember allot of it but I got stuck on some of the bits like after nanak.

What I did was just remember the bits that come after nanak:

Jina sevia tin paeiai man

Teerat naava jis tiv paavaa

jeg jug chare arjaa

sunia esar brahma ind

sunai sata santokh gyan

sunia saraa guna

manai surat hovai

manai marag

manai paaveh

pan parvan

asank jaap

anank moork

asank naaav

so what I am telling u is after all the nanak bits i use get stuck, so what I did was wrote those down ona piece of paper and then just remembered them in what order they come in. After this the gurbani flow should be easy and u should easily be able to recite it off by heart!! With guru sahibs apaar kirpaa, it took me two days.

Do u undertsand what I am saying, or do u want me to explain it in more detail!!