Amritvela, Love...reading More Bani

Guest secret

wjkk wjkf

i need help my amritvela is totaly mashed its been months n months since ive got up for amritvela its realli bad....i dont feel like doing any bani...i dont know how to talk to guru ji...i dont see the point..i dont even kwn if i have love for guru ji...i knw i do sum where deep inside but right now maya is takin control of me and i duno how to fight it off...i dont sleep at night because i keep thinking about the weirdst htings!!! i feel tired but dont sleep till late! and that prevents me from geting up at amritvela! could the sangat here please advise me on what to do i really need al the help i can get please help this manmukh!

Wjkk wjkf pray.gif:)

paaji/penji i too find it hard getting up for amritvela. regardless whenever u wake up, before you eat breakfast always make sure you do your nitnem followed by ardaas asking gurujis for help and strenghth to follow the path of sikhi.

i think you need to correct your sleep pattern by sleeping early so that you can wake up for amritvela. the best way is to make sure you are out of bed by at least 6/7am every monrning. then you will start feeling tired earlier at night time. evenutally start setting your alarm earlier. maybe every few weeks try 30mins earlier.

listen to as much kirtan during the day and try to think of waheugurji as much as you can. and go to the gurdvara as much as you can. eventually your love of sikhi will return :)

paaji/penji i too find it hard getting up for amritvela. regardless whenever u wake up, before you eat breakfast always make sure you do your nitnem followed by ardaas asking gurujis for help and strenghth to follow the path of sikhi.

i think you need to correct your sleep pattern by sleeping early so that you can wake up for amritvela. the best way is to make sure you are out of bed by at least 6/7am every monrning. then you will start feeling tired earlier at night time. evenutally start setting your alarm earlier. maybe every few weeks try 30mins earlier.

listen to as much kirtan during the day and try to think of waheugurji as much as you can. and go to the gurdvara as much as you can. eventually your love of sikhi will return :)

thats the problem...lol i go to bed at 9.... 9 3o is the latest its just that i keep thinking and thinking it dont stop... when i start thinking i tyr to do simran buh it only lasts 15 min max...and then i go back to my thinking lol i have keertan on when i go to sleep but it feels like it keeps me awake so dosent really help much i used to go to gurudwara sahib at leats 3 times a week but my parents wont let me attend any more i onli go once a week now and the other 2 days i would do keertan but i dont get the hcance of doin that its been at least 2 months since i went to gurudwara to do keertan and parents have really been getting on my nerves recently i cant seem to control my anger as much as i used to.....

vaheguru jee ka khalsa vaheguru jee kee fateh

Taken from Tapoban.org

The foundation for Gursikhi jeevan is a strong amrit vela. If we have a good amrit vela and our minds get the proper start, the rest of the day will go well guaranteed.Baba Naranjan Singh jee, Shiromani Kathakar of Patiala used to say:

"According to the Shastras, the person who gets up before 3am and takes a bath for meditation has given, in charity, a donation equivalent to one 'maund' of gold for such a noble act.

A person who gets up between 3am to 4am and takes a bath for meditation has given in charity, a donation equivalent to one 'maund' of silver.

A person who gets up between 4am to 5am and takes a bath for meditation has given in charity, a donation equavlent to one 'maund' of milk.

The actual benefit given by the Lord for Naam Simran, meditation and reading Gurbani during Amritvela cannot be described in words." pg. 208

A Ranglay Sajjan of the Jatha, Col Piara Singh jee used to say "Satguru jee himself takes the roll call of every Gursikh in the Amrit Vela Parade (naam abhyaas). He observes those who are absent for some time, but after repeated irresponsibility and absences, those people's names are then cut from his register"

So let us try to take the full benefit of Amrit Vela and get the blessings of Guru Sahib.

Waking Up For Amrit Vela

By G. Udham Singh in Gurmat Sidhaant Saagar

Translated by Admin www.tapoban.org

1. That Sikh who remembers Vahiguru at Amrit Vela will achieve liberation.

2. Ishnan, nitnem and simran/abhyaas at amrit vela can transform the individual

3. Only that person can wake up for amrit vela who forsakes laziness and remembers death.

4. It is just as essential for every Gursikh to wake up in the last quarter of the night, amrit vela, as it is to do simran.

5. That person that remains asleep at amrit vela goes without the blessings and grace of Vahiguru

6. The best way of waking up for amrit vela is to eat little at night and to go to sleep on time.

7. It is at amrit vela that currents of Vahiguru's blessings are flowing but those who remain asleep at this time cannot enjoy them

8. Until the stars disappear, it is the fourth quarter of the night, amrit vela,

which is considered the most conducive time to meditate and worship Vahiguru.

9. That person that longs to wake up at amrit vela will be woken up on

time by some secret power.

10. After doing Sohila Sahib, and before going to sleep, doing ardaas for the ability to wake up at amrit vela is very beneficial.

11. That Gursikh who is thirsting for naam and baaNee will find that this thirst will be like the alarm which wakes him/her up.

12. Even cows, birds and roosters wake up at amrit vela. If a Sikh does not, it is his own bad karma.

13. It is a natural phenomenon that at amrit vela, even flowers blossom and spread their scent more than at any other time.

14. That person who wants to meditate on Vahiguru must make it a daily habit to wake up at amrit vela.

15. It is not enough to just wake up at amrit vela, ishnaan and simran are also essential.

16. Those individuals who spend their nights lost in vices and evil and then sleep through amrit vela are destroying their own lives.

17. The way in which our minds can be attached to simran and baaNee at amrit vela is not possible at any other time.

18. All great saints, rishis, munis, bhagats and Gursikhs all have woken up at amrit vela.

19. That person's life is fruitful and worthwhile who wakes up every day at amrit vela and remembers Vahiguru.

________________________________________________________________________________

I was talking to a good Singh the other day and he told me that in India, amrit vela is pretty weak amongst the youth, specifically the Jatha. I don't think there's much different in the West either.

A missed amrit vela is usually seen as "oh well, try again tomorrow, no big deal". It's not such a light matter actually. Bhai Ram Singh (Jathedar) has written that missing amrit vela is a sign of somethign wrong in our spiritual life. It could be a lapse in our bibek or maybe a mistake in our rehit or something else, but it has a cause.

A Khalsa makes a contract with Guru Sahib to get naam and eternal help in return for keeping rehit. One of the primary rehits is amrit vela. If we break our side of the deal over and over, is it any doubt that Guru Sahib too will not be giving us all his support and protection? That we make mistakes like other manmukhs such as falling into traps like boyfriends/girlfriends, etc?

Missing Amrit Vela is not normal for a Sikh. It is a symptom of a spiritual disease that MUST be cured before it grows. It requires self analysis and the the medicine of bani.

We often ask, "why aren't there more amritdharis"? Or kids who've become more interested in Sikhi ask why their parents aren't doing the same. Ask yourself if you're setting an example that can be followed? If you maintained a strict amrit vela and did it with dedication and love, not only would you be closer to Guru Sahib, it would be in itself a form of parchaar.

Amrit Vela is the foundation of strong spirituality.

I once heard a very good Singh say that it's all about love. Once the alarm clock goes off, the Singh should be eager to begin amrit vela and not think of it as a punishment. Once we start seeing amrit vela as something we not only have hukam to do, but also WANT to do, then things get easier. But I suppose that's in Guru Saahib's hands.

A Ranglay Sajjan of the Jatha, Col Piara Singh jee used to say "Satguru jee himself takes the roll call of every Gursikh in the Amrit Vela Parade (naam abhyaas). He observes those who are absent for some time, but after repeated irresponsibility and absences, those people's names are then cut from his register"

I think this is a very true statement. If someone has received naam dee daat and they don't get up at amrit vela, as they had promised Guru Saahib, then it is a violation of the Guru-Sikh relationship. Guru Saahib is greater than any boss, but how many times do we miss amrit vela vs. how many times we miss going to work? If there's a penalty for missing work, why wouldn't there be a penalty for missing amrit vela?

For centuries, Gursikhs have gotten up in the latter part of the night and called on their beloved. This has been a tradition amongst the Sikhs since the time of Guru Nanak. Why would we try to re-interpret amrit vela at this stage and what right do we have to do so? If someone wants to progress in Gurmat, then they should copy what the Guru and beloved Gursikhs do. Baba Gurbachan Singh Bhindranvale, Bhai Sahib Randheer Singh jee, Baba Nand Singh jee, Baba Attar Singh jee Mastuana, and countless other amazing Singhs all stressed the importance of keeping Amrit Vela ie. getting up in the last part of the night.

Even more importantly, baaNee over and over tells the Sikh to get up in the last part of the night (I'll include just the parts of the shabads, but please look at the whole shabads)

"Pichho raatee sadaRaa naam khasam kaa layh"

"fareedhaa pichhal raath n jaagiouhi jeevadharro mueiouhi ||

jae thai rab visaariaa th rab n visariouhi ||107||"

ma 4 ||

gur sathigur kaa jo sikh akhaaeae s bhalakae out(h) har naam dhhiaavai ||

oudham karae bhalakae parabhaathee eisanaan karae a(n)mrith sar naavai ||

oupadhaes guroo har har jap jaapai sabh kilavikh paap dhokh lehi jaavai ||

fir charrai dhivas gurabaanee gaavai behadhiaa out(h)adhiaa har naam dhhiaavai ||

jo saas giraas dhhiaaeae maeraa har har so gurasikh guroo man bhaavai ||

jis no dhaeiaal hovai maeraa suaamee this gurasikh guroo oupadhaes sunaavai ||

jan naanak dhhoorr ma(n)gai this gurasikh kee jo aap japai avareh naam japaavai ||2||"

And countless other shabads make clear that a Sikh must get up in the last part of the night.

• 4 years later...
Guest Chook Fookung

ਮਨੁ ਮਾਇਆ ਮੈ ਫਧਿ ਰਹਿਓ ਬਿਸਰਿਓ ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਨਾਮੁ ॥ ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਬਿਨੁ ਹਰਿ ਭਜਨ ਜੀਵਨ ਕਉਨੇ ਕਾਮ ॥੩੦॥

Gurbani's Greatest, most Prevalent instruction is to chant the Naam- so why not start with that? No point in reading teachings over and over(Gurus teachings in Gurbani) when you're not applying them.

In applying them, you become Gurbani, you become the teacher of Sat, Guru becomes chela, chela becomes Guru....

Stop reading, and start Doing- apply, apply, apply...

(The Gurmukh applies 24/7- even in the realm of dreams(although we are in a dream at the moment also))

Then you won't have time to be overcome by maya- maya cannot seduce you and control you when you know her real nature and how to take control of her...(she's the fakest of the fake, but God's her master(for God Is her)- when we begin to become Him/merged/live in Truth like He does 24/7, she will bow at your feet by His grace)..

You've got all the weapons to kill her for good(gyan in Gurbani), so what are you waiting for?