Laws Of The Playground!

rupinder singh

Update to the above.

My sister called me this morning to tell me that my nephew still gets his patka and joora touched by the other boys in the playground. The school have made a big deal about it but some of the boys still keep calling my nephew "s@@thead" and stuff like that.

She has spoken directly to the parents of the tormentors who seem to think it's now all in her head and their kids wouldn't abuse anyone as they are Sikh themselves.

My nephew claims the abuse is still going on but it appears that everyone thinks the matter has been dealt with and say that my nephew might now be making it up.

To be honest I believe my nephew and although he's only 5 I think he does know not the blow things out of proportion.

I suggested getting the local Gurdwara involved (assuming they are interested) and speaking directly to the parents of the other boys.

Anyone got any other suggestions? How can we make our nephew feel that he is not isolated and give him the strength to combat abuse? Although there are a good number of Punjabi kids in his school there are only a hand full of keshdari boys.

This whole incident is just sad, it makes me wonder weather i was fortunate that i was for the most part in my high school the only punjabi/sikh in the school. They call themselves sikhs yet many of these individuals wont be able to tell the names of the gurus but if u ask for the names of albums of there fav. artist, you'll be suprised how quickly they reply.

OH MY GOD, BRING THIS UP IN THE DESI NEWSPAPERS YOUR NEPHEWS STORY, ASK THE GURDWARAS AND NEWSPAPERS AND RADIO STATIONS TO SPREAD THIS STORY THEN TO CHALLENGE PARANTS OF HOW IS IT AFTER GOING THROUGH RACISM AND EVERYTHING THAT WE ATTACK OUR OWN PPL.

THEN PUT THEM TO REAL SHAME AND LET THEM KNOW THIS IS WHAT HAPPENDS WHEN YOU DON'T TAKE THE TIME TO TEACH YOUR KIDS ANYTHING ABOUT SIKHI OR SIKH HISTORY, AND SINCE YOUR FROM BIRMINGHAM YOU COULD ALSO USE THIS TO SHOW THE PARANTS YOU DON'T WANT TO TEACH YOUR KIDS ABOUT SIKHI AND SIKH HISTORY DON'T GET MAD THAT YOUR SONS MARRY A GORI AND FORGET ABOUT SIKHISM AND YOUR DAUGHTERS RUN AWAY FROM HOME WITH A MUSLIM AND CONVERT.

AFTER READING THAT IM STILL IN SHOCK.

OH MY GOD, BRING THIS UP IN THE DESI NEWSPAPERS YOUR NEPHEWS STORY, ASK THE GURDWARAS AND NEWSPAPERS AND RADIO STATIONS TO SPREAD THIS STORY THEN TO CHALLENGE PARANTS OF HOW IS IT AFTER GOING THROUGH RACISM AND EVERYTHING THAT WE ATTACK OUR OWN PPL.

THEN PUT THEM TO REAL SHAME AND LET THEM KNOW THIS IS WHAT HAPPENDS WHEN YOU DON'T TAKE THE TIME TO TEACH YOUR KIDS ANYTHING ABOUT SIKHI OR SIKH HISTORY, AND SINCE YOUR FROM BIRMINGHAM YOU COULD ALSO USE THIS TO SHOW THE PARANTS YOU DON'T WANT TO TEACH YOUR KIDS ABOUT SIKHI AND SIKH HISTORY DON'T GET MAD THAT YOUR SONS MARRY A GORI AND FORGET ABOUT SIKHISM AND YOUR DAUGHTERS RUN AWAY FROM HOME WITH A MUSLIM AND CONVERT.

AFTER READING THAT IM STILL IN SHOCK.

but also their have bin sikhs that have bin discriminated by amritdharis/keshdharis because they don't wear a turban

but i love debating those guys who judge others cause their the worste sikhs in the world for judging others cause their not amritdharis, but i love having debates with them cause i make them look like hypocrites and know how to humilate them in front of everyone. One time this guy talking about how great maharaja ranjit singh was and such a great sikh leader and need antoehr sikh like him then couple of weeks later is judging non amritdhari siksh but i had a fun time roasting him in front of everyone and showing him and everyone the hypocrite he was.

Update to the above.

My sister called me this morning to tell me that my nephew still gets his patka and joora touched by the other boys in the playground. The school have made a big deal about it but some of the boys still keep calling my nephew "s@@thead" and stuff like that.

She has spoken directly to the parents of the tormentors who seem to think it's now all in her head and their kids wouldn't abuse anyone as they are Sikh themselves.

My nephew claims the abuse is still going on but it appears that everyone thinks the matter has been dealt with and say that my nephew might now be making it up.

To be honest I believe my nephew and although he's only 5 I think he does know not the blow things out of proportion.

I suggested getting the local Gurdwara involved (assuming they are interested) and speaking directly to the parents of the other boys.

Anyone got any other suggestions? How can we make our nephew feel that he is not isolated and give him the strength to combat abuse? Although there are a good number of Punjabi kids in his school there are only a hand full of keshdari boys.

Schools generally have a duty to provide a bully free, harassment free environment in which children can prosper. You may want to find out the state of the law in the particular jurisdiction as to the school's responsibility... just so you are armed. It sounds like here however, the school is "making a big deal...".

It may be an idea to set up a in-service for the kids in the class or school... essentially a visitor who would attend at the school and explain the reason for the kes and the proud history of the khalsa... 5 year olds and up might appreciate that superhero's exist in real life. The visitor may be able to demystify things and also provide some ground rules such as not touching. Depending on the circumstances, it may be appropriate to speak of consequences to the school, the student and their parents if the harassment continues.

Vaheguroo Jee Kaa Khalsa, Vaheguroo Jee Kee Fatheh!!

Dhan Dhan Dhan Satguroo Sree Guroo Granth Sahib Jee Maharaaj

Bhai Sahib, its upto you to teach your nephew about Dhan Dhan Baba Ajeet Singh Jee, Dhan Dhan Baba Fatheh Singh Jee and to make your nephew realise that at such a tender age, they were able to give up everything but not give up their Sikhi!! Try taking your nephew to Sikhi Camps for kids and things like that! just show him loads of examples (havent' we got more than enough???) of Chardhee Kallaa Gursikhs, and that he can be just like them!

Teach your nephew that he should be proud to be keeping kesh and that he's got Guroo Jee's kirpa, Guroo Jee's blessing to be keeping kesh!!...i know it all sounds easier said then done but its the only way!

I'm sure you've already done lots of ardaasan, but do one with your nephew, teach him how to do an ardaas, teach him to ask Guroo Jee to help him, get your nephew to ask Guroo Jee not to let him feel upset when he's picked on...and if he has to, one day to stand up to the kids - once the kids find out your nephew is a little Shere in the waiting they'l leave him alone! Explain to him about the ardaas, why we do it & what it means...

Forgive me if i've said anything wrong or offended you or anyone else...

Vaheguroo Jee Kaa Khalsa, Vaheguroo Jee Kee Fatheh!!

I am going to spend time with my nephew this weekend. I fully agree that Sikh camps and good strong role models are essential in this. My nephew needs to feel he belongs to something big, something deep, something powerful. He needs to feel a strength given by Akal Purakh to endure emotional and physical abuse. At the end of the day my mum said we all have to deal with it, she mentioned that me and my sister had similar issues at school and it built our lives up. What my mum doesn't realise is that it wasn't easy and we had down days too and for a 5 year old these incidents can really be make or break emotionally.

My sister needs to make him more involved seva in the local Guru Ghar so that he feels he belongs to this great Kaum. In terms of the school they do seem to participate in interfaith celebrations and visit places of worship. Maybe something more specific to the Sant-Siphai belief is needed.

Buddasingh phaji made a good point by suggesting making a presentation at your nephew's school.

I did the same with my children, each one of them i went to their class in their first month of kindergarden. I was really worried about the boys getting bullied.

Here is what happenned with my younger one (he is in kindergarden right now)

I just talk in simple language (coz they're 5yrs old!).

First I ask them: what is this?(Pointing to the joora), Is there something inside? A surprise? (all the kids laughed)

One kids said: i think it's hair

Oooohh i said, why don't we see. I then proceeded to undo his hair (some might not agree with that but i thought it was a good way to educate)

While i was undoing his hair, i talk about why we keep hair, it's part of our religion and culture (many kids at that age don't even know what religion is!)

All the kids were so impressed by the length of his hair. I told them we fix his hair in a joora everyday so the hair keeps nice and clean and nut free (while i was redoing his joora)

Then i talk about the turban and showed pics of sikh men.

I also talk about the kara and brought an extra one to pass along the kids to try on.

I also brought a baja and my son played a few shabads (kids were impressed and i think it helps the other kids have more respect becasue it's something they can't do)

I brought a pic of harmandir sahib (from an old calendar!) (all the little ones were so cute with their aaah, wow, it's all gold!)

And we ended by giving them kir (without almonds) yum!

He doesn't have any problem with bullying however, the situation is a little different from your nephew becasue my son has only one other punjabi kid in his class (there are less then 10 punjabis in the entire school and only 2 with joora, my sons)

But yeah in a nutshell i think making a little presentation to the classroom helps (for non-punjabi kids at least)

Let us know, it makes me really sad when a little child so young as to go through that.