Laws Of The Playground!

rupinder singh

It seems bizarre but the laws of the playground seem to have changed dramitcally since I was a nipper. My young nephew, a five year old keshdhari who wears a patka was persistently bullied by a group of older kids in his school playground. My nephew was told that he was stupid for wearing a patka and that he had a bobble on his head. One day his patka was taken of his head by one of the kids.

When investigated the group of older kids all turned out to be from Punjabi/sikh families. The parents of the children were called in and they were all of sikh backgrounds, although non kept the kes.

Strange how the laws of the playground change. When I was little our tormentors used to be the goray kids, but as apnay we stuck together, monay, keshdari even hindus and muslims. There was never an internal threat.

Is there now a danger that a keshdari kid is more isolated, not just from the goray environment but by the anglo-punjabi environment too??

It seems bizarre but the laws of the playground seem to have changed dramitcally since I was a nipper. My young nephew, a five year old keshdhari who wears a patka was persistently bullied by a group of older kids in his school playground. My nephew was told that he was stupid for wearing a patka and that he had a bobble on his head. One day his patka was taken of his head by one of the kids.

When investigated the group of older kids all turned out to be from Punjabi/sikh families. The parents of the children were called in and they were all of sikh backgrounds, although non kept the kes.

Strange how the laws of the playground change. When I was little our tormentors used to be the goray kids, but as apnay we stuck together, monay, keshdari even hindus and muslims. There was never an internal threat.

Is there now a danger that a keshdari kid is more isolated, not just from the goray environment but by the anglo-punjabi environment too??

Rupinder Singh

Playground behaviour is a reflection of what these kids pick up at home, personally I’d give the parents a good slap, desi style with a bit of harsh language to go with it……..so remember “good slap” and then the !@?*~#. Not the other way round its not as shocking.

Warrior

( the voice of reason, diplomacy and sound advice)

Rupinder Singh

Playground behaviour is a reflection of what these kids pick up at home, personally I’d give the parents a good slap, desi style with a bit of harsh language to go with it……..so remember “good slap” and then the !@?*~#. Not the other way round its not as shocking.

Warrior

( the voice of reason, diplomacy and sound advice)

One of the mums keeps apologising to my sister. it's funny but that mum is a typical punjabi lady, who wears a suit all the time and does not speak much english. She's really embarresed about what happened.

Another father spoke to my brother in law and said that he was shocked with what his son was doing and assured him that this is not what he teaches his children.

I think the problem lies in the lack of keshdari children within the community. Maybe many of our own kids don't know how to view a child with kesh anymore.

Even in Punjab theres the same problem - My little cousin told me that tormenters used to be non-sikh but now non-kesdhari's and even older brothers (as in my lil cousins case) are pickin on the kids.

Now my cousin is 6 and took the decision to keep his kes himself - whereas the rest of the family cut their hair. However, the older son told me that he begged lil cousin so much to cut his hair that he threatened to cut his tv time and wouldnt talk to him for a long time.

This brought the question to my mind...shouldn't we (especially elders) respect someone else's decision even if you dont feel you can encourage it?? Guru Ji really meant what he said about Kaljug lol

iesu kiljug mih krm Drmu n koeI ]

eis kalijug mehi karam dhharam n koee ||

In this Dark Age of Kali Yuga, no one is interested in good karma, or Dharmic faith.

Thats been standard for ages, I got greif from Punjabi (sikh) lads in Secondary school, thats why I sometimes mentally seperate the "punjabis" and Sikhs"...just because their Punjabi and have a Sikh background dont mean anything to me; their the same as everyone else.

I was the only Keshdhari in my year and for a bit the whole school, I got more respect from Religious Muslims for keeping kesh than the "apna" :@

If I didnt have such multi-cultral super group of friends (none apna :) ) I would have really felt isolated. I was lucky in that sense.

WJKK WJKF

I remmeber this guy coming up to me one when i was a nipper he took my remal off i went home told my older bro who was 2 yrs older but still a lot younger he went and got the bike took a big stick and rode off i thought he was going some where else but he went passed this guy and smacked this guy in the back of the head lol this guy ran after my brother and after there was a bit of whooo haaa about it but this guys family turned out to racist and had many problems with indians so we was cool they moved on...

just to show that before it used to be someone else now its our own times change but the <edit> remain .....

:)

Mod Note: Don't use profanity, you are under moderation because of it.

OK after giving a "good beating" to the parents (like it's really going to happen), I think we need to start seriously addressing the issue of the lack of kes within community that likes to label itself "sikh".

A few generations down and are we now nurturing children who could potentially bully other children who are attempting to keep the roop of sikhi alive. These kids can wear karas, have khanda necklaces yet lack an understanding about the values of the sikhi roop.

The school authorities took the bullying situation very seriously and really supported my nephew. But it was embarresing that the bullys classify themselves as Sikh too and once again it makes our community look more defragmented & dysfunctional than that it already is.

I totally agree with the above post. The only way to stop this is to educate the youth, i believe it is the job of the parents to do this. Parents need to give their the children the best possible start, my parents didn't really teach me about sikhi, my mum does paath everyday and we went to the gurdwara and that, but we never sat down and discussed sikhi or talked about it.

sikh society at uni helped me so much spiritually, i didn't even believe in god when i started uni, and was in a bad bad state. It amazing how much good sangat, and a basic knowledge of sikhi can help improve you life, and the lives of those around you, by so much!