'put Christ Back Into Christmas' - The Guardian

JagtarSinghKhalsa

I know how we should react to this issue: let's all make fun of Inderjit Singh and call him names. Not.

If you don't like what Inderjit Singh says then perhaps you should try to talk to him about the issues where you disagree with him. I have telephoned him on a number of occasions and found him easy to reach. Perhaps you might like to offer your own views to the BBC, the Govt. etc and offer an alternative viewpoint that 'represents' Sikhs. TBH do anything rather than throw mud at people from a distance.

SaRpAnCh, from your posts you have such zeal that if only you would harness that same zeal into making a difference for the better rather than simply pointing out negative issues you would find so much of your hatred drain away. People are not bad, Inderjit Singh is not a clown. He is a human being, with thoughts, feelings, ideas and a soul. Nobody is without a soul. Just because he says something that you disagree with, there is no need to make a rash comment about him. Eloquently and concisely comment on what you think he has said that you and other Sikhs disagree with. You will earn a greater respect from people and be taken seriously for it :) What is more, you will find that inside you feel calmer and will gradually become more in touch with the celestial magnificence that pervades existence. That is the essence of Guru Nanak's message: becoming One with all that is. That is what you want is it not? Message me if you would like to make a difference today and everyday with that unhindered passion of yours! :@

Jagtar Singh Khalsa, you were informed somewhat correctly about Inderjit Singh's attendance at a Met Police Sikh Association awareness evening. Whether he was 'tucking into' a turkey I don't know, but I do know he was one of only around 10 turban/bearded Sikh men in attendance for what was an event calling for action into violence against females. Those present were from ethnic minority-related organisations that have actively expressed concern on this issue or whom have taken some part in fighting the issues of domestic violence, sex-selective abortions, 'honour killings' and gender inequality. Inderjit Singh should be commended for the work that he has done in this way and for the support that he has given the MPSA over the last few months in planning strategies to tackle these issues. You may not like him (and many don't) but at least have the class to not pick at him for doing good things. Again, I welcome the input you make to forums such as this and the countless emails I have read of yours which find their way on to e-groups, but why so negative towards others all the time? If Inderjit were to disappear tomorrow, would you take his place and advise the Govt on Sikh issues? When did we elect you? My friend, stop the bitterness and help make the World a better place for everybody. That is our Ardas after all: Nanak Naam Chardhi Kalla, Tere Bhane Sarbat Da Bhalla...

As it happens I am no great fan of some of the statements that Inderjit Singh makes, but there are just as many where I wholeheartedly agree with him. The way forward is not to slate him but discuss with him (and others) without resorting to petty name-calling. As it happens, I have recently found myself broadcasting on BBC Radio 4 with comments from a Sikh perspective. A lot better than sitting on an internet forum doing Inderjit Singh's nindiya don't you think?! Before I get a barrage of abusive emails and telephone calls at Naujawani, ask yourselves this wonderful question:

"What have I done in my life to make it better?"

Sitting on an internet Forum calling a Sikh of Guru Nanak a clown is not a good answer, nor is making people aware of the fact that a Sikh said he eats turkey. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

All I have said about Indarjit Singh is that he was 'not wise' in making such a statement that has been widely reported in the national press. Jagdeesh Singh who was one of the MPSA's guest speakers on 'honour killings' informed me Indarjit Singh was tucking into the turkey. Indarjit Singh does some very good work - that is not in question. But he should refrain from such controversy. As you appear to be from MPSA - perhaps you can confirm if Christmas pudding was served and did it contain alcohol/eggs.?

Why do I appear to be from MPSA?! I am not. I represent naujawanidotcom which broadcasts Sikh and Punjabi programming via the internet. I thought that was obvious from my username! I understood that you stated Inderjit Singh's comments were unwise and I haven't insinuated that you said anything more. I have however asked why your comments seem to be so negative so often. You made a choice to initiate this thread on the basis of Inderjit Singh's comments about consuming turkey and christmas pudding. I find it difficult to see why that was necessary. You are correct to assert that he should refrain from such controversy, but likewise I think you would have been wise to follow your own advice. What has been gained from initiating this thread other than questioning Inderjit Singh's credibility? Don't you see your comments rile up many users on this forum and cause them to think unnecessarily negatively as found on this thread? As stated earlier I am all for discussion, but on the basis that we progress and advance for the betterment of all. I think you know full well what you do when you post in this way, more so with your reply to me. I can't answer your questions about the Christmas pudding as I didn't have any dessert. Why should that be an issue here? I thought that only fools talked about eating meat/eggs or not? Alcohol in the Christmas pudding? I couldn't care less. I'm more concerned about the amount of alcohol that is consumed neat which is causing so many of our problems in this world.

I have absolutely no reason to defend Inderjit Singh in this thread or anywhere else. I have only found myself doing so because of the reaction of users such as SaRpAnCh and Babbar Shere. Sikhs could be doing so much good with their lives rather than badmouthing each other on internet forums, don't you think? This is, has and will continue to hold us back as custodians of Guru Nanak's legacy. I am so interested in discussing this issue further that through Naujawani:Radio we are dedicating an entire weekly programme to it. We don't have a huge audience, nor do we pretend that we make a difference, but we are trying. I would be interesting in hearing from anyone who represents a charity, organisation, group etc that is interested in being a part of these regular shows looking at our political, social and economic future. I will try approaching Inderjit Singh for his views hopefully on a regular basis and would like to invite JagtarSinghKhalsa to join in too. Together we can progress through the sharing of our knowledge and experiences, after all none of us knows everything! My contact details can be found at naujawanidotcom For those of you who would like to know my name is Harwinder Singh. I do not always post here for our username as some of the others who work alongside me here do so too. I've posted on this forum on and off for about 7 or 8 years and always end up leaving it because you never know who people really are, internet soldiers/heroes and that, and what is the point in wasting time with people who hide behind usernames? If you know me personally and we have discussed sikhsangat before, I know I know, but I can't help seeing some of the misdirections that are being perpetrated in the name of Sikhi on these websites. Rant over. Begin the abuse. Or the misdirection :)

Have to admit i am very upset about this. Does anyone have this "Doctors" number? He cant be representing Sikhs and make stupid statements like that. I think we need more of a reaction from Gursikhs about this because this is really not on. I noticed a rep from Sikh Federation has commented in this thread. Will Sikh Federation take this up as a case and force resignation of this guy as a Sikh rep?