Broadband

itech

I just wanted to know peoples point of view on different ISP, i am looking to get a new service as my service now is getting slow due to sharing;

Virgin broadband;

M - 2mb

unlimited download

Virgin Digital - L

£25

could anyone help me?

the ones that i have been looking at are;

1. SKY

MAX - 16mb

unlimited dowload

£10

(have to get - digital tv)

2. Demon Internet

8mb

unlimited download

£17.99

(i understand stand that i cant get full speed.. due to exchange etc.. i just want some advice of which ones to get or if there are any better ones out there)

I just wanted to know peoples point of view on different ISP, i am looking to get a new service as my service now is getting slow due to sharing;

Virgin broadband;

M - 2mb

unlimited download

Virgin Digital - L

£25

could anyone help me?

the ones that i have been looking at are;

1. SKY

MAX - 16mb

unlimited dowload

£10

(have to get - digital tv)

2. Demon Internet

8mb

unlimited download

£17.99

(i understand stand that i cant get full speed.. due to exchange etc.. i just want some advice of which ones to get or if there are any better ones out there)

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Vaheguru Ji Ke Fateh

for sky you have to have a BT telephone line installed which is silly

Just upgrade your virgin media to 20 meg and get it in a pakage so its cheap <_<

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Vaheguru Ji Ke Fateh

you might want to consider aol as they give a free laptop !!

High download speeds - up to 8 Mbps (speeds vary depending on where you live and the quality of the phone line)

40GB download allowance Wireless router included (worth £50)

No connection fee Includes AOL Talk Pay As You Go Plan (more call plans available)

Minimum 24 month contract applies BT line rental required

laptop spec:

0GB hard drive & DVD writer

Full wireless security

Inter Celeron®

Window Vista® Home Basic

Delivery charge of £14.99 applies at point of purchase

Insurance available from £8.99 per month

Laptop upgrade options available:

Option 2 - £49.99 (bigger hard drive)

Option 3 - £149.99 (faster processor)

but do bare in mind that you have to have a BT line and have to stay with aol for 2 years!

this is a broadband supplier which is also meant to be really good

http://fast.co.uk/

From what you have supplied:

SKY

If you are within the Sky Network, you get upto 16Mb DL for £10. But you do require a BT phoneline. If you do, enter your number in the box provided on their website to get a figure of your DL speed you would most likely get.

Virgin:

For £23.50 you get the XL package. From the above, you get an extra 4Mb, 20Mb connection. But you need a Virgin Phone. To most people, that extra 4Mb won't be of much use, really.

Demon Internet, should be left out since you get better services with a much more powerful connection cheaper or a little more expensive. £10 - 16Mb; £24 - 20Mb compared to £18 for 8Mb.

Sorry, but I don't live in the UK and have never been there, thus I do not know about the different ISPs. I can find out more from friends though.

1. Ik-Oun-Kaar - i might look into that... thanks! (i do have a BT line)

2. Techno Singh - with all do respect... AOL are.. crap,i had there service for a couple of years and the fact that you have to use there own web browser to log in is a right pain in the back side.. the laptop is very good anyway.. are fast.co.uk any good?

3. SATORi - dont really have much to say.. my BT phone like takes 6.5mbs due to the exchange being pretty far away

To check EXPECTED ADSL broadband speed and where your exchange is Click here

check your 'ACTUAL' speed Click Here and Here

1. Ik-Oun-Kaar - i might look into that... thanks! (i do have a BT line)

2. Techno Singh - with all do respect... AOL are.. crap,i had there service for a couple of years and the fact that you have to use there own web browser to log in is a right pain in the back side.. the laptop is very good anyway.. are fast.co.uk any good?

3. SATORi - dont really have much to say.. my BT phone like takes 6.5mbs due to the exchange being pretty far away

To check EXPECTED ADSL broadband speed and where your exchange is Click here

check your 'ACTUAL' speed Click Here and Here

yeah i heard AOL are crap but its the laptop thats the interesting bit , any way fast.co.uk is meant to be really good!

'

flag_small.gif UK based phone support 7 days a week - no call centres - no premium rate numbers

Fantastic speeds at all times with no speed drops even in the evening & weekend! flag_small.gif

Fast.co.uk "best in class" for customer service & support !

We are one of the highest rated Broadband providers with top marks for customer service, support and speed based upon customer feedback on the ISPreview site. ispreview.gif

they do seem to be quite expensive though,

http://fast.co.uk/broadband.php

i am with virgin 2mb internet and at the mo im getting 2049 kbs so the broadband connection is really good so you might want to consider them too

my BT phone like takes 6.5mbs due to the exchange being pretty far away
If that's the case, I don't see why you should invest in a 16Mb connection as ~9Mb of data transmission speed is lost. So if you are looking for higher speeds, SKY is out of the game; Virgin is your option here from what we have seen. Try talking to them about the Virgin Phone and see which other extra costs you have to put up with. Test the connection speed and see if it suites you and you aren't losing much.

I haven't yet received the reply from my friend. Waiting though.

i also run on Virgin Broadband 2mbs, im getting 1.9mbs, however this is slow as its being shared between 2-3 other computers in the house

i will most likely look into upgrading my Virgin package, as virgin are very good been with them for 6-7years NTL:/Virgin only a few minor problems here and there

Im currently running on Virgin and it is rubbishhh!!! Cant stand it and would change if it wasnt for the contract!! :)

Anyways... pop in to your local Carphone Warehouse and check out the deal. Similar to what Techno Singh said. AOL (now owned by CPW) are giving either a Free Laptop (Basic), the option to buy a Semi decent laptop for £50, the option to buy a top of the range laptop for £150 or a FREE PS3...

If i was looking to change - that's where I'd go... <_<

Im currently running on Virgin and it is rubbishhh!!! Cant stand it and would change if it wasnt for the contract!! :)

Anyways... pop in to your local Carphone Warehouse and check out the deal. Similar to what Techno Singh said. AOL (now owned by CPW) are giving either a Free Laptop (Basic), the option to buy a Semi decent laptop for £50, the option to buy a top of the range laptop for £150 or a FREE PS3...

If i was looking to change - that's where I'd go... <_<

thanks for that. ill keep it in mind.. but my phone line only takes 6.5mbs so if i get a 8mb like thats 1.5mb lost! out of the window!

just a quick question what problems are you having with your virgin broadband?