Birth Of The 12 Year Old Boy, Saint Sukadev Ji

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Vaar 25 Pauri 10 Sukadev

ਬਾਰਹ ਵਰ੍ਹੇ ਗਰਭਾਸਿ ਵਸਿ ਜਮਦੇ ਹੀ ਸੁਕਿ ਲਈ ਉਦਾਸੀ ।

baarah varhay garabhaasi vasi jamaday hee suki|aee udaasee|

Having remained in his mother's womb for twelve years, Sukadev adopted detachedness right form the very time of his birth.

Line 1

ਮਾਇਆ ਵਿਚਿ ਅਤੀਤ ਹੋਇ ਮਨ ਹਠ ਬੁਧਿ ਨ ਬੰਦਿ ਖਲਾਸੀ ।

maaiaa vichi ateet hoi man hatd budhi n bandi khalaasee|

Though he went beyond maya yet because of his intellect pushed by stubbornness of mind, he could not attain liberation.

Line 2

ਪਿਅ ਬਿਆਸ ਪਰਬੋਧਿਆ ਗੁਰ ਕਰਿ ਜਨਕ ਸਹਜ ਅਭਿਆਸੀ ।

pia biaas parabodhiaa gur kari janak sahaj abhiaasee|

His father Vyas made him understand that he should adopt king Janak as his guru who is well grounded in the art of remaining in equipoise.

Line 3

ਤਜਿ ਦੁਰਮਤਿ ਗੁਰਮਤਿ ਲਈ ਸਿਰ ਧਰਿ ਜੂਠਿ ਮਿਲੀ ਸਾਬਾਸੀ ।

taji duramati guramati|aee sir dhari jootdi milee saabaasee|

Doing so, and divesting himself of the evil wisdom,he acquired he wisdom of Guru and as ordered by his guru he carried left overs on his head and thus earned pats from the guru.

Line 4

ਗੁਰਉਪਦੇਸੁ ਅਵੇਸੁ ਕਰਿ ਗਰਬਿ ਨਿਵਾਰਿ ਜਗਤਿ ਗੁਰਦਾਸੀ ।

guraupadaysu avaysu kari garabi nivaari jagati guradaasee|

When inspired by the teachings f the guru he repudiated ego, the whole world accepted him as guru and became his servant .

Line 5

ਪੈਰੀ ਪੈ ਪਾ ਖਾਕ ਹੋਇ ਗੁਰਮਤਿ ਭਾਉ ਭਗਤਿ ਪਰਗਾਸੀ ।

pairee pai paa khaak hoi guramati bhaau bhagati paragaasee|

By falling at the feet, by becoming dust of the feet and by the wisdom of the guru, loving devotion came up in him.

Line 6

ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਸੁਖ ਫਲੁ ਸਹਜ ਨਿਵਾਸੀ ॥੧੦॥

guramukhi sukh dhalu sahaj nivaasee ॥10॥

As a gurmukh attaining pleasure fruit he got himself lodged in equipoise.

Line 7

The saint Vedavyaasaa decided to get married and raise a family. Saint Vedavyaasaa’s friend saint Jabaadli who knew saint Vedavyaasaa had a very high avasthaa requested him to marry his daughter Vaatikaa. After a few weeks saint Vedavyaasaa and Vaatikaa got married and began to live in the forest. Within two months Vaatikaa became pregnant. Nine months quickly passed by her unborn child did not take birth. The unborn child continued to grow for twelve years and still was not born.

During this time at the house of saint Vedavyaasaa and Vaatikaa many religious discussions would take place. Vaatikaa herself would recite many prayers and hymns praising Akaal Purakh. In this way saint Vedavyaasaa and Vaatikaa’s child listened to all these discussions and prayers with full concentration and became enlightened in Vaatikaa’s womb.

Saint Vedavyaasaa and Vaatikaa’s unborn child was now the size of a twelve year old boy and as a result Vaatikaa experienced a lot of pain constantly. Saint Vedavyaasaa who used to reassure Vaatikaa that all this was the play of Akaal Purakh got really annoyed one day and shouted at his unborn child. He said, "Who are you in the womb of my wife? Why don't you come out? Do you want to kill the pregnant lady?"

Saint Vedavyaasaa’s unborn child replied, “I can become anything because I have come here after wandering through 8.4 million life forms. So how can I tell you about my identity? I only know that presently I have come in human form in the womb of your wife. I am tired of roaming in this world, full of sorrows and miseries, so I want to stay in the womb in the same form. Presently, I am mediating here and I know for certain that I will receive mukhi in this place. As long as life remains in the womb, it possesses the knowledge, detachment and the memories of its previous births. When it comes out of the womb, all of its knowledge and detachment disappears. It is for this reason why I choose to stay in the womb.”

Saint Vedavyaasaa listened carefully and then said, “Please come out my dear child, the worldly illusions will have no effect on you. Free yourself from the hell like status of the womb!"

The unborn child replied, “If you can get an assurance from Akaal Purakh that I will not be affected by worldly illusions I will come out.”

Saint Vedavyaasaa then travelled around the country and met many saints who prayed to Akaal Purakh to prevent the worldly illusions from affecting the unborn child’s jeevan and taking him of the path of God.

After obtaining such reassurances saint Vedavyaasaa returned home and told his unborn son to come out now. His son did so and immediately greeted his mother and father. He then proceeded towards the forests and was stopped by saint Vedavyaasaa who said, “Son please stay at home, so that I can carry out the necessary rituals for you."

The boy replied, “O saint of saints, thousands of rituals were carried out in many of my births. These bondages of rituals have submerged me in the illusions of the world."

To be continued.

If anyone has any thoughts please feel free to share.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Saint Vedavyaasaa’s unborn child replied, “I can become anything because I have come here after wandering through 8.4 million life forms. So how can I tell you about my identity? I only know that presently I have come in human form in the womb of your wife. I am tired of roaming in this world, full of sorrows and miseries, so I want to stay in the womb in the same form. Presently, I am mediating here and I know for certain that I will receive mukhi in this place. As long as life remains in the womb, it possesses the knowledge, detachment and the memories of its previous births. When it comes out of the womb, all of its knowledge and detachment disappears. It is for this reason why I choose to stay in the womb.”

aaaaaaaaaaw this part realy hit me man..................we dont know where we came from how many joons we have suffered..................the number of the countless sins we have committed, the people we've hurt, betrayed, stolen from, robbed from, and yet when we suffer in the life we go around with the wieght of the world on our shoulders and cursing God for our mis-fortunes and fail to realise we are simply reaping the "rewards" of our OWN actions..................

It is waheguru that tries to save us, countless times and we keep screwing it up and jump to maya's command.........yet when waheguru asks us for our Head we hesitate and stutter and stammer and even when we do finally bow down to Guru's command how many still keep thier head bowed?

This is a little present for Talikhaak and Papi : ) a post by Simmal Tree/Bhai Kulpreet Singh.

Read it all please. I'm not sure if it is relevant here, but just since we're not sure what is practical and what is not I thought I might paste it here. It talks specifically in relation to Rehat, but the point remains the same.

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

Well firstly, I am so uneducated and hypocritical - I do not follow maryada properly

I don't know the first thing about ghiaan or dhiaan or karma

But as far as rehit is concerned in any way .. how is anything practical?

I know this is very off topic for this thread

but people above were talking about how thigns are practical

I don't think it's about practicality ever in Sikhi

I think it's about love

I mean what is Sikhi without love and faith?

We need to learn a lot from the Gursikhs in our history...

How can you drink the water after washing the Guru's feet?

How can you clean the GUru's feet with your hair?

How can you sacrifice your mind by cutting it apart and putting it before the Guru?

How can you go into the battle field and not come out even if you are ripped apart ?

How can you work with your hands while doing simran?

How can you do simran 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year?

How can you see God in everybody?

How can you have no revenge, but always justice?

How could you have so much love for your Guru that whenever you call him he appears before you in the flesh?

How could you have so much love for the GUru that you manage the whole langar yourself and even get mentioned in the Guru GRanth Sahib?

How could you say that there are millions of other poor people like you - with the grace of the Sikhs your kingdom is established?

How could you get up

and allow your Guru to chop off your head with his sword?

How could you pray that your skin is used as the shoes of Gursikhs?

How could you have your scalp cut off but not your hair?

How could you have your body cut piece by piece and continue reciting Gurbani?

How could you be cut on a spinning wheel?

How could you be sawed in half?

How could you travel all around the world to preach Sikhi by foot?

If your father gave you money to invest, how could you spend it on setting up a langar for poor people?

If you had been held in a concentration camp and starved for many days, how could you tolerate your children being killed and their dead bodies being strung around your neck?

How could you sit in a boiling pot, then a hot stove, then have sand poured on your wounds?

How could you walk and fight oppressors while your head is cut off and in your palm?

How could you stay underwater for three days meeting with God?

How could you stop a falling rock with your hand?

How could a falling boulder melt into the shape of your body and not hurt you?

How could bitter nuts become sweet by the touch of your hand?

How could an ignorant deaf and mute man become a scholar of the Geeta by your touch?

How could countless sick people get cured by your touch?

If you realized that you had gone against hukam by bringing your dead friend back to life, how could you sacrifice your own life and die right there on the spot?

How could you throw yourself into a fire if the Guru promised you liberation for doing it?

How could you lead 40 men back to their Guru in the battlefield?

If 40 of your Sikhs deserted you and rejected you as their Guru, how could you manage to forgive them and give them liberation?

How could you become the Guru's own bodyguard?

If the people of another religion needed your father to sacrifice his life, how could you encourage him to do this at the tender age of 9?

How could you watch your Sikhs be

ing killed in many ways and then give your own life instead of accepting Islam and putting other religious groups at risk?

How could you be only 7 years old and reign the universe as the Guru of the Sikhs?

How could you be so wise at such a young age that the Guru himself calls you "Baba Buddha" ?

How could you fight alongside your brothers in countless battles despite the negative stereotypes of women being weak?

How could you be bricked alive as a young child?

How could you cut the heads off five people and bring them back to life?

How could you, being the Guru, accept five Khalsas as your Guru?

How could you tolerate losing all your family and kingdom, be forced to live in a jungle alone for some weeks, and still sing prayers that you can't live without God?

How could you walk everyday at 1 in the morning to get bathwater for your Guru while being over 70 years of age?

If the leg of your Guru's bathtub broke and only a sharp nail remained, how could you put your hand there and let it be crushed into the nail rather than allow the bathtub to fall over?

If your Guru commanded you to eat the dead body under a white sheet, how could you accept the command and ask which side to start on?

How could you, being the Guru, tell a Sikh that your beard was made to clean his feet?

How could you hold up the ship of your Sikh on your shoulder while sitting in a hut meditating?

If the whole town was taken over by imposters and fake-Gurus, how could you recognize the real Guru?

How could you eat the leftover nuts from the manure of the horses in the Guru's fort rather than let it go to waste?

How could you, despite being accused of being an elitist Brahmin, eat the left-overs of the sangat's langar rather than let it go to waste?

How could you manage to have your own son's beating heart thrust into your mouth?

How could you inspire your son-in-law to become Maharaja of Punjab, and then fight alongside

him in many battles against oppressors?

If you were the Maharaja of Punjab and made mistakes against Sikhi, how could you tolerate being publically whipped at the Akal Takhat?

How could you have the spiritual faith and strength to stop the fastest flowing river in India in order to pass your army from one side to the other side?

If you were a Singh warrior, how could battle with countless oppressive armies, raid and loot villages, and have to rescue many young girls and women, but never once have a bad thought about them?

How could you fight to the death against thousands of attackers with one sword?

How could you live 40 days on a hunger strike rather than break your sarblohee bibek?

How could you spend almost 8 years in solitary confinement in a small dark room?

How could you put yourself on the edge of a well while doing simran so that if you fall asleep, you will die?

How could you start orphanages and treatment camps open to thousands of people regardless of their religion or background?

How could you work endlessly to protect the environment and the rights of animals in your society?

How could you do one akhand paat every week, every year for several years of your life?

How could you defend the Harimandir Sahib against tanks, helicopters and highly trained commandos with just a group of Singhs?

How could you get tens of thousands of people to take amrit in the span of a few months?

How could you strap a bomb to your body and sacrifice your own life to bring justice to the corrupt chief minister of Punjab?

How could you sacrifice your own life to bring justice to the corrupt Prime Minister of India?

How could you spend years and years in Punjab jails being tortured?

How could you fight endlessly for human rights despite the risks to your life?

and still have pyaar, still have faith, still d

o simran, still love Guru jee?

and Still sing "thera keeaa meethaa laagai"

How could you?

Is it impractical?

These were real Sikhs - each and every line above. And that is just a FRACTION OF THEM ALL.

How could they do those things for their Guru and still stay in Chardee Kalaa?

I could never. I can't imagine. I could never imagine. I have no courage. No love. No faith.

I take this history for granted every day. I'm over dramatic, unappreciative, irresponsible and fraudulent ... I could never do these things.

These are the Khalsa above - this is what real faith is.

We are the children of a inexplicably magnificent legacy.

This is pyaar, this is Sikhi. May Guru jee bless us with the dust of their feet.

anyway i am sorry for being off-topic

i talk too much <_< :

bhul chuk maaf karnaa

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

Old but good writeup by kulpreet veerjee.

This story isn't related to guru saheb, but of a man of "high avasthaa". I just don't find it miraculous, its of a soul who didn't want to come into this world, anyway the moral of the story should teach us that this world is full of maya and we are all under its power, not look at the fact that if its possible for him to come out of the womb or not, that suggests that it was under his power to not come out, whereas its not under his power, its in the power of akaal purkh, thats why I find it hard to beleive that he had power over whether he wants to come or not.