Sikh Bibian And Jewelery

RKang17

nobody said there's a need.. it mite nah look normal to you or others buh that doesn't mean i's wrong...

no i's nah gonna help in ur sikhi... no i's nah gonna make ur jeevan any better... buh all of us here have nice clothes or electronics or cars any other accessories; which won't help us at all either...

i's a matter of choice, and yes, intent... buh tha's wit everythin that we have/wear...

bani tells us nah to get too caught up or attached to materialistic things, buh that doesn't JUST constitute jewellery... i's everything...

nobody said there's a need.. it mite nah look normal to you or others buh that doesn't mean i's wrong...

no i's nah gonna help in ur sikhi... no i's nah gonna make ur jeevan any better... buh all of us here have nice clothes or electronics or cars any other accessories; which won't help us at all either...

i's a matter of choice, and yes, intent... buh tha's wit everythin that we have/wear...

yes clothes should be simple

electronics should be like ipods and pda's to listen to keertan and read bani

cars are for goin to keertan programes and goin 2 work for grishtee jeevan

whats jewerly for?

justify it being right

i'm nah justifyin it as bein wrong.... buh there is no justification for it being WRONG...

some people like the way it looks... some people wanna look nice... some people wear it because it was given as a gift or somethin.. there's nuttin wrong wit looking nice... we ARE our Guru's Sikhs... we're princes and princesses... some people spend up to an hour tryin to have their dumallas/dastaars lookin as 'perfect' as possible.. i's okay to look nice...

some people wear those mini kirpaans n other small shastars in their dumallas/dastaars jus for the looks.. is that nah then jewellery as well?

again... wha's nice to u, might nah be nice to sum1 else... wha's needed for u, might nah be needed for sum1 else... wha's 'simple' to u, might nah be simple to sumbody else... it comes down to wha u feel (generally speakin, to everybody)... if u nah wanna wear it, then don't... don't hate on sum1 else n tell em they're wrong because they choose to wear it...

i'm nah justifyin it as bein wrong.... buh there is no justification for it being WRONG...

some people like the way it looks... some people wanna look nice... some people wear it because it was given as a gift or somethin.. there's nuttin wrong wit looking nice... we ARE our Guru's Sikhs... we're princes and princesses... some people spend up to an hour tryin to have their dumallas/dastaars lookin as 'perfect' as possible.. i's okay to look nice...

some people wear those mini kirpaans n other small shastars in their dumallas/dastaars jus for the looks.. is that nah then jewellery as well?

again... wha's nice to u, might nah be nice to sum1 else... wha's needed for u, might nah be needed for sum1 else... wha's 'simple' to u, might nah be simple to sumbody else... it comes down to wha u feel (generally speakin, to everybody)... if u nah wanna wear it, then don't... don't hate on sum1 else n tell em they're wrong because they choose to wear it...

a dastaar and shasters can in no way be compared to jewelry

they both have a purpose

and the rest of what you are saying hasnt answered my question

no, its not what you feel, what you think/feel isnt important, what the guru says is important

jewelry is a waste of money

a singhni of the khalsa has no need to wear jewerly. we should only dress to please our guru, not to please the public, how does wearing jewelry please our guru? it is just show for the public

when 'shastars' are worn jus for the LOOKS, so ur dastaar or dumalla LOOKS nice, then that is jewellery... even those khandas that are worn for the LOOKS it is jewellery.. how is wearin shastars or khanda for the LOOKS gonna please ur Guru? i's jus show for the public, as u put it...

i never said dastaar was jewellery, my point was about INTENT...

and why are we only narrowing it down to Singhnis? wha bout singhs?

and where does Guru say jewellery is WRONG? yeah i's probably a waste of money.. buh wha if sum1 gets it as a gift??

when 'shastars' are worn jus for the LOOKS, so ur dastaar or dumalla LOOKS nice, then that is jewellery... even those khandas that are worn for the LOOKS it is jewellery.. how is wearin shastars or khanda for the LOOKS gonna please ur Guru? i's jus show for the public, as u put it...

i never said dastaar was jewellery, my point was about INTENT...

and why are we only narrowing it down to Singhnis? wha bout singhs?

and where does Guru say jewellery is WRONG? yeah i's probably a waste of money.. buh wha if sum1 gets it as a gift??

"Objects designed for the adornment of the body, usually made of gold, silver, or platinum, often with precious or semiprecious stones and such organic substances as pearls, coral, and amber. Jewelry evolved from shells, animal teeth, and other objects used as adornment in prehistoric times. Over the centuries it came to be a sign of social or religious rank. In Renaissance Italy, jewelry making reached the status of a fine art; many Italian sculptors trained as goldsmiths. From the 17th century the decorative function of jewelry again came to the fore, overshadowing its symbolic significance. By the 19th century, industrialization brought jewelry within the reach of the middle class. Firms opened by jewelers such as Carl Fabergé and Louis Comfort Tiffany achieved great success by making fine jewelry for the wealthy."

wearing shastars for looks will giv u ego, tht doesnt turn the shasters into jewerly tho

im talkin about singhnia because thts wat the topic was

if some1 gets it u as a gift, just dont wear it

its not as black and white as we try to make this:

Sri guru gobind singh ji adorned with expensive diamonds, golds, kalgi. Sri guru gobind singh ji is sri guru gobind singh ji, we cannot compare us(worms) with the master but the point is here- sri guru gobind singh ji gave khalsa his tan, man, dhan - khalsa mera roop hai khas. Guru Ji didnt merely said this, in bhai dya singh ji rehitnamas it clearly says- khalsa can adapt any of these three life styles or all three depending on the need- rajo, tamo, satoguni and live their life.

As sukhmani sahib says: Raj Me Raj Jog Me Jogi Tap Me Tapisar Grasth Me Bhogi ||

Historically speaking many of figures were adorned by diamonds and were raja/rani and still given ustat and labelled as gurmukhs in gurbani eg- raja janak, rani tara, raja hari chand. In modern times- maharaj baba sahib singh bedi, maharaja ranjit singh, maharaj khem singh bedi, they all have maintained avastha - gurmukh maya vich udasi || despite of them being maharaj except may be maharaja ranjit singh ji but even him historically he used to do 25 japji sahibs a day and was extermely humble.

Wearing jewellery has nothing to do with avastha its just way of life, it becomes problem when we try to mix both.

Khalsa is above from all the outer garbs you dont have to look certain way for eg- wear bana only to be khalsa.

There were many mahapursh in sikh history who were soo bairaagi tyagi that only wear a chola all their life as they were many examples of sikh mahapursh in sikh history who had adorned jewellery, expensive clothes, at the end their avastha was same.

point of all this being- never judge someone from their outer kriya whether how fancy they have dressed or how little they have covered themselves, its biggest mistake in the life.

ending with this sakhi, sakhi of raja janak gurudeva - ashtavakht, it touches the mindset of people even this sakhi has nothing to do jewellery, this sakhi touches on a mindset of people shared by people who judges others just by outer grab whether one is adorned with jewellery or adorned very little cloth on their body:

Once raja janak had dream that shook him, after waking up since his dream was soo intense that he couldnt figure which is reality? the dream state? or wake state? to solve this riddle, he invites maha rishi, sadhus of india into his darbar to help him with his dubta, no one could help him, its been months, after a while , raja janak condition news reached to this kid name(asthavaka) who was disabled as he walked you could see 8 folds in his body occuring yet he was bhramgyani, he went to darbar to solve raja janak riddle, when he went to the darbar all the hypocrites pandits, rishi were there, started laughing and making fun of his condition, who in the world this disable kid who can hardly walked with 8 folds in his body can solve this highly delimna raja janak going through, at that point - this kid spoke to raja janak- who are these people? raja janak said i call these people to solve my delimna, ashtavak replied, this people who are chamars(cham dristhi wale) who looked at my outer apperance instead of gyan- laughed/mocked this condition, how could they solve this riddle, this people dont have bhram dristi nor they have gyan,, asthavak at that point gave atamik updesh to raja janak, solving his month long delimna and all these hypocrites hung their head in shame.

ur lil 'definition' there actually doesn't help u out..

if those shastars are worn for 'looks', then they become 'objeccts designed fot the adornment of the body'... people sometimes wear it as ego and to show others how 'religious' they are "over the centuries it came to be a sign of social or religious rank"

when they are used for ego and for looks, they become 'accessories' i.e. jewellery...

its not as black and white as we try to make this:

Sri guru gobind singh ji adorned with expensive diamonds, golds, kalgi. Sri guru gobind singh ji is sri guru gobind singh ji, we cannot compare us(worms) with the master but the point is here- sri guru gobind singh ji gave khalsa his tan, man, dhan - khalsa mera roop hai khas. Guru Ji didnt merely said this, in bhai dya singh ji rehitnamas it clearly says- khalsa can adapt any of these three life styles or all three depending on the need- rajo, tamo, satoguni and live their life.

Historically speaking many of figures were adorned by diamonds and were raja/rani and still given ustat and labelled as gurmukhs in gurbani eg- raja janak, rani tara, raja hari chand. In modern times- maharaj baba sahib singh bedi, maharaja ranjit singh, maharaj khem singh bedi, they all have maintained avastha - gurmukh maya vich udasi || despite of them being maharaj except may be maharaja ranjit singh ji but even him historically he used to do 25 japji sahibs a day and was extermely humble.

Wearing jewellery has nothing to do with avastha its just way of life, it becomes problem when we try to mix both.

Khalsa is above from all the outer garbs you dont have to look certain way for eg- wear bana only to be khalsa.

There were many mahapursh in sikh history who were soo bairaagi tyagi that only wear a chola all their life not many examples of sikh mahapursh in sikh history who had adorned jewellery, expensive clothes, at the end their avastha was same.

point of all this being- never judge someone from their outer kriya whether how fancy they have dressed or how little they have covered themselves, its biggest mistake in the life.

ending with this sakhi, sakhi of raja janak gurudeva - ashtavakht, it touches the mindset of people even this sakhi has nothing to do jewellery, this sakhi touches on a mindset of people shared by people who judges others just by outer grab whether one is adorned with jewellery or adorned very little cloth on their body:

Once raja janak had dream that shook him, after waking up since his dream was soo intense that he couldnt figure which is reality? the dream state? or wake state? to solve this riddle, he invites maha rishi, sadhus of india into his darbar to help him with his dubta, no one could help him, its been months, after a while , raja janak condition news reached to this kid name(asthavaka) who was disabled as he walked you could see 8 folds in his body occuring yet he was bhramgyani, he went to darbar to solve raja janak riddle, when he went to the darbar all the hypocrites pandits, rishi were there, started laughing and making fun of his condition, who in the world this disable kid who can hardly walked with 8 folds in his body can solve this highly delimna raja janak going through, at that point - this kid spoke to raja janak- who are these people? raja janak said i call these people to solve my delimna, ashtavak replied, this people who are chamars(cham dristhi wale) who looked at my outer apperance instead of gyan- laughed/mocked this condition, how could they solve this riddle, this people dont have bhram dristi nor they have gyan,, asthavak at that point gave atamik updesh to raja janak, solving his month long delimna and all these hypocrites hung their head in shame.

nice post, altho not really answering anything

no, we should most defiantely not "judge" anyone for what they are wearing, whether it be jewelry or not.

but that doesnt mean that we cant say whether or not jewelry has a place in sikhi

no i disagree, khalsa is distinct and as such has a distinct uniform

i still havent found a reason for wearing jewerly

why?

ur lil 'definition' there actually doesn't help u out..

if those shastars are worn for 'looks', then they become 'objeccts designed fot the adornment of the body'... people sometimes wear it as ego and to show others how 'religious' they are "over the centuries it came to be a sign of social or religious rank"

when they are used for ego and for looks, they become 'accessories' i.e. jewellery...

no

the shastar is designed for the adornment of the dastaar

whats wrong with a khalsa wanting to look smart with damala and shastar?

no, shastars cannot show some1 how religious u are, yes jewerly became 2 b a social/religous rank, not shasters.