New Er @ Hospital Might Be Named After Guru Nanak Dev Ji In Surrey

Simran9

if they use tax-payer's money to build the ER, then we shoudln't have guru sahib name on it. don't want other's to say crap afterwards, you know it'll happen.

BC has loads of sikhs, raise money within gurudwaras then we can say to the city, "hey we are going to donate xx million for this and we would like to name it in guru sahib's name"

something like this is almost done in calgary already. http://www.nriinternet.com/NRIdoctors/A_Ca..._in_Calgary.htm

i hear they are almost done raising the million dollars they pledged. :lol:

I don't agree with this. I just feel that Sikhs shouldn't be putting Guru Ji's name on things that have no significance to Sikhi, in this case the entrance to an ER at Surrey Memorial Hospital. I think Sikhs need to be more responsible when it comes to this including using the word Khalsa in business names.

It's true that the Sikh community helped raise millions of dollars for building this new ER, which is the right thing to do and is very good, but we shouldn't be looking for special appreciation/attention/rewards, instead we should consider being a bit more humble about it.

Just my thoughts.

I don't agree with this. I just feel that Sikhs shouldn't be putting Guru Ji's name on things that have no significance to Sikhi, in this case the entrance to an ER

To be honest I can't think of a more appropriate place you could have the name of the lord. And let's be honest, there are tons of hospitals named after Christian and Jewish prophets, saints etc. Would you think twice if you had an emergency entering one of these hospitals? No! So any non Sikh who would complain is being a complete hypocrite.

I think the topic title is a little bit misleading. The votes don't really count for anything, and it looks as if the people managing the hospital are leaning towards giving Guru Nanak Dev Ji's name to the wing. I did like this article there though,

http://www.bclocalnews.com/surrey_area/sur...n/11386041.html

Kind of compacts everything in the topic into an easy to read argument.

To be honest I can't think of a more appropriate place you could have the name of the lord. And let's be honest, there are tons of hospitals named after Christian and Jewish prophets, saints etc. Would you think twice if you had an emergency entering one of these hospitals? No! So any non Sikh who would complain is being a complete hypocrite.

The point that I am trying to get across is that Sikhs shouldn't be putting Guru Ji's name on things that have no significance with Sikhi.

Sure Christians, Jews and the followers of other religions are putting the names of their Saints and Prophets on hospitals but why should we follow this?

Don’t make this a “if they can do it, then so can we” argument but ask “why are they (other religions) doing this and why should we?