Tomorrow [bandhi Chor Or Diwali]

sikh_youth_uk

For example doing fireworks and somasa.

Did you mean samose?? If yes that is so true veere. We have a shop in our city and they make samose with "om" sign inscribed on em. Most of these samose are bought by apnia aunties(who wear the best clothes to go to the gurudwara) and they are very careful while eating these spl. samose. They say when you eat these "om" samose one should eat the whole "om" sign at once otherwise its a bad omen. Last year i wasn't able to eat the samosa properly and i lost money while gambling :lol:.

ps: Our Gurudwara committee has rented a rocket from NASA to send all the women wearing good clothes on that day to MARS. cool idea eh? and yeahhh i got the best-est suit for my wifey for this day .. tongue.gif

:lol: :@:@

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont wanna sound like a old Bibee but its buggin me now:

It aint Bandi Chor - thats sounds like you sayin thief...

its

Bandhee Shohrr

bMdI CoV

^^ thats supposed to say

Bandhee: Bubeh otheh tip'ee, dhu'dheh noo siharee

Shohrr: Sheesheh noo hohraa, Rahraa

vaahegurujeekaakhalsaavaahegurujeekeefateh

This article speaks my mind exactly. Have a read instead of following the majority.

Bandhi-Chor or an Alibi?

Every year, with arrival of Diwali I am forced to ponder over the hypocrisy that has entrenched our Sikh society. Sure, I am afraid to reason on Diwali/Bandi-Chor Diwas and its importance within the four walls of the Gurudwara, as it would amount to playing with sentiments and lead us nowhere.

So for years I have started isolating myself more and more from this occasion. Unless of course there is great keertan darbaar going on in the Gurudwara, I make it a point not to be present in any community celebrations on this day.

Am I taking it too far?

I don’t know. But I would surely appreciate if someone can help me understand why I should not take it too far!

Here are some thoughts on Diwali/Bandhi Chor Diwas.

Till date Historians have not reached a consensus on the period of Guru Hargobind Jis’ stay in the Fort of Gwalior. Historical texts indicate this period from as short as Forty days to as long as 12 years (Dabistan-I-Mazahi by Muhsin Fani). Some periods indicated in historical texts are 1617 – 19, 1609 – 1611, etc. Muhsin Fani is obviously wrong in stating the 12 year period because most of Gurus children were born during these years.

We know that Indian Calendar system is lunar based and therefore the no. of days in the Solar based calendar does not match with Indian system. If we are not sure about Guru Hargoind Jis period of stay and his discharge from the Gwalior Prison, then how can we mathematically calculate

For example doing fireworks and somasa.

Did you mean samose?? If yes that is so true veere. We have a shop in our city and they make samose with "om" sign inscribed on em. Most of these samose are bought by apnia aunties(who wear the best clothes to go to the gurudwara) and they are very careful while eating these spl. samose. They say when you eat these "om" samose one should eat the whole "om" sign at once otherwise its a bad omen. Last year i wasn't able to eat the samosa properly and i lost money while gambling :@.

ps: Our Gurudwara committee has rented a rocket from NASA to send all the women wearing good clothes on that day to MARS. cool idea eh? and yeahhh i got the best-est suit for my wifey for this day .. tongue.gif

:lol:

I don't celebrate diwali cos it aint a Sikh festival. Once some singh came up to me at Gurdwara and wished me happy diwali, so I asked him ohhh paaji, what is the significance of diwali to a sikh? He then replied with a jackanory story about how its a festival of lights for both Hindu and Sikhs. I quizzed him how it has become a festival of lights for sikhs? To which he replied that on this day in 1619 Guru Hargobind sahib was released from prision with 52 Hindu kings who all held on to the tassels on his cloak. He went on to explain how the Sikhs laid a trail of lamps all the way back to Darbar sahib so that the Guru would find his way back to his people safely. My response to that was "ohh Paasoo, if the Gurus needed lamps laid to show them the way back to Amritsar then it was gonna get mighty confusing, seeing that the whole of the Hindu nation also had the lamps out". blink.gif

He then Pleaded the fifth and quickly buggered off

I was talking to some bibi at the gurdwara - she didn't know what Bandi Chor/Shorr was. I asked her what was happening tomorrow and she said diwali. She then went to other people and started talking about Bandi Chor/Shorr - and they didn't know what it was either.

It was kinda funny rolleyes.gif