Do You Judge People By Their Pagh/dastaar?

SardarDholi

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mnhu kusuDw kwlIAw bwhir ictvIAwh ]

manahu kusudhhaa kaaleeaa baahar chittaveeaah ||

Mentally, we are impure and black, but outwardly, we appear white.

rIsw kirh iqnwVIAw jo syvih dru KVIAwh ]

reesaa karih thinaarreeaa jo saevehi dhar kharreeaah ||

We imitate those who stand and serve at the Lord's Door.

This is the kind of stuff that puts me off. Why judge anyone in the first place? You know when I went for my Amrit Sanchaar, I saw a mona paji who didn't look Punjabi. He was probably a non-Punjabi Hindu for all I know, although I am not sure. Guess what sewa he was doing! He cleaned the entire toilet with his own hands, and his little son helped him out. Now how do I judge such a person as "lower" than someone who wears a foot long sri sahib but runs away from sewa? I can't, no one can. I can't do that sewa, but he did it without a frown on his face, and he did it all day long! Judging is not our job. Lets leave that to Dharam Raj. The more we judge people here, the greater the chances are that Dharam Raj would be mad at us for doing his job. Any criteria used to judge a person is just wrong. As the 3HO Sikhs say "If you can't see God in ALL, you can't see God AT ALL".

Veera,

often u see more sikhi in a gora doing charity work with the disabled then the entire gurdwara congregation on that Sunday morning.

But going back to the types of dastar or look of the person, then Guru Gobind Singh gave us a niara look and a niara personality. Not to be corrupted in anyway and as I see it the Kenyan/Punjabi style pug is now associated with the corrupted male punjabi individual not the khalsa. This is my I observation of what happens around me. Do you really think the likes of badal, daler mehdi, my alcoholic uncle are wearing the crowns of the khalsa. I think not, but at least at this stage we can distinguish their pugs from a dummalla.

in conclusion the style of dastar u wear is a direct reflection of the personality you wish to portray!

when i used to trim - people thought i didnt know anything about sikhi

when i kept my beard - people thought i knew EVERYTHING about sikhi

lesson: people are a bunch of bandars dont worry about what people think of you care MORE about what Guru Ji thinks of you and your actions :nihungsmile:

when i used to trim - people thought i didnt know anything about sikhi

when i kept my beard - people thought i knew EVERYTHING about sikhi

lesson: people are a bunch of bandars dont worry about what people think of you care MORE about what Guru Ji thinks of you and your actions :nihungsmile:

true but we should also focus on maintaing the outer roop of our khalsa panth just as our Guru ji perscribed.

those 'bandars' (as u so nicely put it) now look at your dara prakash and see a Sikh of the Guru not an individual. their expectations of you are now higher than before, so we need to live up to that at the very least. now that you show the roop of Guru on the outside clean ur act up inside too. don't do any tonak tonak dancing!!

I agree with Rupinder Singh with the idea that if you present yourself as a gursikh, then you should be expected represent your guru.

I disagree with his idea that your dastar represents who you are or the degree of sikhi in your life. Some people are more comfortable tying different types of dastars. Dastars can also vary depending on where you're raised. Being raised in a certain area doesn't mean you're a better or worse gursikh than being raised in another area.

People who wear dastars and ruin the rep of the Sikhi shouldn't be wearing dastars. They aren't representing.

People who wear dastars and ruin the rep of the Sikhi shouldn't be wearing dastars. They aren't representing.

That is inevitable when we are not fussy about who wears a pagh and who doesn't.

I agree with Rupinder Singh with the idea that if you present yourself as a gursikh, then you should be expected represent your guru.

I disagree with his idea that your dastar represents who you are or the degree of sikhi in your life. Some people are more comfortable tying different types of dastars. Dastars can also vary depending on where you're raised. Being raised in a certain area doesn't mean you're a better or worse gursikh than being raised in another area.

yep. agree with u that the style of dastar in theory should not effect the degree of your sikhi. but in reality the Sikh image has been ruined by turban wearing whiskey drinking punjabi men over the last 50 years or so. i personally attempt to disassociate myself from those specific group of men by adopting a dumalla and not a punjabi/kenyan style dastar. maybe i have met too many dodgy kenyan/punjabi pug wearing men in my life and have been scared for life. but hey, who knows i suppose the time will come when dummalla wearing man may let me down tommorrow too!! :)..

u went to the same guy 3 times in 3 different pughs? am i the only one who finds that funny?

I find that a bit amusing, and that it actually happened, I don't think its true. This may just be a futile attempt to put singhs with dumaalle down.

My two cents.