76 Year Old Cancer Patient Beaten And Kicked Out Of Hospital

Mehtab Singh

http://www.sikhnet.com/sikhnet/news.nsf/Ne...725734E0062F41F

Sep 06, 2007 - A Brampton family has lodged a complaint with Peel Memorial Hospital, claiming their 76-year-old father was evicted from the hospital, then handcuffed and assaulted by two security officers.

The hospital is investigating the incident and could not confirm or deny any of the allegations.

Jagir Singh Sandhu, who has prostate cancer, was taken to the emergency department with dehydration on his family doctor's advice around 7 p.m. on Aug. 29. He was treated several hours later and told to wait until his test results came back, Sandhu said in Punjabi, translated by his son-in-law.

Once that happened around 5:10 a.m. the next day, the nurse told Sandhu to leave. "I said my legs are not properly working, but the nurse said we need the bed so I moved to the chair," Sandhu said.

About 15 minutes after Sandhu was asked to leave, and just moments after the family had been called to pick him up, security personnel grabbed Sandhu and forcibly dragged him out of the hospital, Sandhu said. He was issued a Notice Prohibiting Entry (Notice of Trespass).

At this time, Sandhu, who said he was "too weak to stand alone" sat on the sidewalk next to the emergency doors to wait for his family.

"Then five or six minutes (later, the security guards) didn't say anything, but just grabbed my hands and held them behind me, (cuffed me), kicking and punching and hurting me," Sandhu said in Punjabi and bits of English.

Sandhu was then sent home in a cab with thin, red sores on his wrists and splotches of blood on his shirt. When the family arrived at 5:45 a.m. to pick him up, they discovered he was gone.

Dawn Dunn, a hospital spokesperson, said the hospital's patient ombudsman is investigating the "facts and circumstances leading up to the incident," but for privacy reasons Dunn said she couldn't comment on details.

Speaking in general terms, Dunn said once a patient is treated, they are asked to leave the emergency department to make room for the next patient.

"Our staff is reasonable and fair and we offer them assistance in making transportation arrangements to go home," she said.

The hospital issued a prepared statement which said: "Our security staff do carry and use handcuffs to restrain violent patients and are used only as a last resort when an individual's behaviour escalates to physical threat. This is the only mechanical means of restraint available to our staff to ensure the safety of patients and caregivers."

Gillian Williams McClean, hospital director of communications and marketing, said the decision to call security is not made "arbitrarily."

But Sandhu's family questions how violent a frail and sickly old man could be.

"He hasn't even eaten for six days. How could he fight two people? He was very weak. He's sick. He's 76," said Kashmir Singh, Sandhu's son-in-law. He added that Sandhu couldn't have fought back if he had wanted to.

Singh's wife, Manjit, sent a complaint to the hospital that Thursday afternoon. It included a photo of the family's caller I.D. to prove the time they were called, a receipt from a gas station Singh stopped at on the way to the hospital that morning, and a letter from Sandhu's doctor.

"The patient was not given sufficient time to leave the hospital," the complaint stated. "Mr. Jagir Singh Sandhu, who is too weak to stand alone, sat in front of the door waiting for his family members to pick him up. But the security personnel came back again and pushed him to the ground with their knees on his back and handcuffed him, kicked him and brought him back in. His hands were injured by handcuffs and his clothes smeared with blood."

Honestly I'm sure that there was some injustice done to the poor fellow...but I don't think they would beat him up...probably fabricated to make the story look worse than it really is. Then again anything is possible in Kalyug. Why'd you post this Mehtab Singh?

Honestly I'm sure that there was some injustice done to the poor fellow...but I don't think they would beat him up...probably fabricated to make the story look worse than it really is. Then again anything is possible in Kalyug. Why'd you post this Mehtab Singh?
So that people from Brampton could find out more real details and let us know. If its true its inhuman. And yes I hope its not true.