What Is Darshan?

Darśana (Darshan) is a Sanskirti term meaning "sight" (in the sense of an instance of seeing or beholding; from a root dṛś "to see"), vision, apparition, or glimpse. It is most commonly used for "visions of the divine," i.e. of a god or a very holy person or artifact

Sanskirti

yeah, solid question....

i've read in some vichaars that the darshan that people think they're having is usually fake, mithhiya...... it leads me to believe that darshan likely has nothing to do with seeing/realizing some physical form of our previous Guru Sahibaan, since we've already got a saroop to get darshan of in terms of Guru Granth Sahib Ji Maharaj.. it baffles me when people suggest it's going to be a "meeting" with one of the previous Gurus, because so much of Gurbani's aim is to make us alipat, to get us detached, and to get us away from the concept of the Body.. i believe it was Pheena ji's post that said only once we realize that the body is nothing can we start making real spiritual progress.

so in my mind, not that i've read, researched, learnt, or accomplished anything--- but in my mind, darshan must then be realization, self-realization, understanding, implementation, and the transgression away from thinking in terms of maya to thinking in terms of aatmaa... once we truly fully understand that "Guru, Meray Sang, Sadaa Hai Naalay", but also realize "janam birthaa, jaat rang maaya kai"... when we ditch pursuits of maya for pursuits of Guru Sahib, then we're constantly having darshan because we're constantly going to realize new things through gurbani.

You know that kinda anand you feel when you go over a line, and it jus kinda strikes you and it's like "holy crap, the big man's talking to me".... that's probably one aspect of darshan.

Also.. satsangat/sadhsangat is darshan too.. i know there's lines in guru granth sahib that say this too, but the one verse that actually sticks out right now in my mind is from the Bible where it say "where two or three are gathered in rememberance of my name, then I am there with them as well" or something... so maybe going and being in sadhsangat is what guruji's talking about in terms of darshan..

I really dont think it's visions and stuff... Again, from what i've read, visions and stuff, they tend to be fabrications of the ego... your ego telling your mind that "oye, you're gettin up there, buddy.. you're a gurmukh", and then supposedly seeing things and stuff like that... cuz those who are truly gurmukh are in mast... they're way past the hauami stage, and their Haumai's been ripped up and burnt by gurshabad (hamai sabad jalaaey)

ANYWAYS, going on a tangent... so yeah..that's my thought.... ultimately, our goal or purpose is not to seek out "darshan"... if it comes, it comes through gurprasaad, and that's it, that's the be all end all..

we turn relgiion into a joke if we expect to receive things from it... so don't expect anything..your relationship with God is one-way, in that you give up your entire self/being to Vaheguru...what you get in return is not because you ask for it, but because it's through Kirpa,

Now next question: What about those Gurmukhs who actually had partakh darshan of the Gurus?

After Guru Gobind Singh Ji left this world...he was seen numerous times after helping Singhs at various times. So it is possible to have darshan of Guru Sahibs.....I have heard about the Shaheeds darshans more however.

But I do agree with Japman Singh...if we have Guru Granth Sahib then why would the other Guru Ji`s feel it necessary to do darshan??

There are different types of darshans such as Supan Darshan (visions in dreams), sarwan darshan (listening), chittar darshan (pictures) and partakh darshan which happens when Atma merges with Parmatma. Waheguru can give partakh darshan in either nirgun or sargun saroop. Bhai Randhir Singh Ji, Sant Gurbachan Singh Ji and countless other gursikhs had both nirgun and sargun darshan. When the soul becomes one with Waheguru the person sees nirgun everywhere, in fire, water, birds, animals and in space. From I have read when gursikhs ever had any particular question they did ardaas and Waheguru appeared as sargun to answer the question. Waheguru can take the form of any physical appearance. He can become Bhagat Sain, Naamdev or appear as Baba Buddha Ji. He can appear as a saint or as a warrior on the blue horse. It is His wish to do what He wants but only those who are one with Him have the ability to see the real Him.

Bhai Gurdas Ji in one of his kabits talk about having supan darshan of Guru Hargobind Sahib.

ਸੁਪਨ ਚਰਿਤ੍ਰ ਚਿਤ੍ਰ ਬਾਨਕ ਬਨੇ ਬਚਿਤ੍ਰ ਪਾਵਨ ਪਵਿਤ੍ਰ ਮਿਤ੍ਰ ਆਜ ਮੇਰੈ ਆਏ ਹੈ ॥

ਪਰਮ ਦਇਆਲ ਲਾਲ ਲੋਚਨ ਬਿਸਾਲ ਮੁਖ ਬਚਨ ਰਸਾਲ ਮਧੁ ਮਧੁਰ ਪੀਆਏ ਹੈ ॥

ਸੋਭਿਤ ਸਿਜਾਸਨ ਬਿਲਾਸਨ ਦੈ ਅੰਕਮਾਲ ਪ੍ਰੇਮਰਸ ਬਿਸਮ ਹੁਇ ਸਹਜ ਸਮਾਏ ਹੈ ॥

ਚਾਤ੍ਰਿਕ ਸਬਦ ਸੁਨਿ ਅਖੀਆ ਉਘਰਿ ਗਈ ਭਈ ਜਲ ਮੀਨ ਗਤਿ ਬਿਰਹ ਜਗਾਏ ਹੈ ॥205॥

of course the body doesn't really matter but at the end of the day, a lover aint gonna say the body aint important.. for instance when Nauve Patshah gave his shaheedi, why would Bhai Jeta Ji take his head to Dasve Saroop...

to me every guru sahib's body is a form of a sargun saroop, like vaheguru himself came in dem bodies through the jot of guru nanak... so i mean the body REALLY doesn't matter but a lover aint gonna put it so blantly, they love every aspect including the physical aspect of the guru

n its nah about guru sahib having the need to come back n give someone darshan, its about what the mind wants.. guru sahib fulfills everything people want n when someone comes to a point where all he wants to do is get imbued in the love of gurbani and just wants to see his guru's face, then guru sahib comes and shows it.. it aint nothing big.. its a game of love

Today I was listening to a katha by Gyani Pinderpal Singh ji. Sahib Sri Guru Gobind Singh Jee Maharaaj Himself said He has 3 roops, namely Sargun, Nirgun and Guru Shabad. Sargun refers to the Sikhs who followed Sikhi with each and every hair and breath (Sikhi kesaan swasaan sang nibhaaee), Nirgun is without form, and so there is NO place where He isn't there. Guru Shabad is Gurbani, and every Shabad is like Gurujee's own rom (pore). And these are the 3 ways we can have darshan.