Picture At Chapeltown Leeds.

Bundha

I went to the Chapeltown gurdwara in Leeds last week and just as you walk in on the right hand side there is now a very large painting of Vaisakhi scene 1699. Fair enough I thought – BTW this is not a post about pictures/no pictures or pictures in Gurdwara or no pictures in gurdwara - but on the opposite wall there is a large picture (approx 6 feet by 10 feet) of the Sahibzaday at sirhand.

The thing that made me uneasy was that this was not a picture of the actual bricking up of the sahibzaday (where they stand in defiance) or when they were on trail, again when they show their steely determination , but it shows them after they are shaheed. It shows S.Zorawar Singh Ji and S Fateh Singh Ji lying on the ground – eyes closed Shadeed – with lots of people stood around them.

I just found the picture uneasy to look at, why would someone paint a picture of the Sahibzaday when they are dead (shaheed)? Makes no sense to me, surely a more uplifting scene would have been more appropriate.

Any comments from people in the know if this was commissioned by the Gurdwara or why the artist decided to paint this scene?

hmmm, i also have a picture similar on a kirtan cassete cover, and it does bring a tear to the eye when u look at it, because u see how the sahibzade looked afterwards. perhaps the painter wanted to show ppl how the scene looked once the bricks had suddenly come apart....

grin.gif i dont knw much, but thats what i think. :D

wjkk wjkf

hmmm, i also have a picture similar on a kirtan cassete cover, and it does bring a tear to the eye when u look at it, because u see how the sahibzade looked afterwards. perhaps the painter wanted to show ppl how the scene looked once the bricks had suddenly come apart....

grin.gif i dont knw much, but thats what i think. :D

wjkk wjkf

Some old sources claim they were beheaded.

Guest Narinder Singh

Its hard to handle even the names of the sahibzadey being brought up because it brings so many emotions within us.

But i guess its one of those reminders that we seem to overlook every day (i know i do for sure). Its a reminder of what these little children went through so that we could live freely. The story of the sahibzadey would always make me emotional in a sad way, but now i can say their story makes me emotional in a good way. :D

Fateh.

In fact what the sources say is that they became unconscious and were then taken out and beheaded. Someone please shed more light on this issue.

yes, im sure ur right, because ive heard in a sakhi, that they were first bricked, but as the bricks fell apart... sahibzade ji were unconcious.... having thier last breathes, and the muslim guy (verry sorry for my choice of lang) asked them once more that its not too late for them to say they accept islam, and sahibzade ji nodded their heads by saying No, then they were beheaded.

pls forgive me if im wrong.

wjkk wjkf

Gufateh !

Dear 'Bundha' Ji,

Is this the painting you are referring to ?

scan10003pi5.jpg

This painting by Devender Singh is part of a series of paintings that form a well known 'Comic' type book published by the Dharam Prachaar Committee of the SGPC and the Punjab and Sind Bank in 1977 - "Nikkian Jindan Vadda Saaka" - a comic book style telling of 'Saka Sirhind' for children

scan10004aw0.jpg

The series of around 40 paintings tell the events of Saka Sirhind - the comic was a favourite of mine and helped me learn to read punjabi as a kid. The Paintings may not be to everyone's taste but they are very uplifting images - 2 of my favourites are these ;

The Sahibzadas enter the court of Wazir Khan - they are made to walk through a small door - but they enter feet first - thereby not bowing to oppression , literally and metaphorically

scan10005ch0.jpg

The Sahibzadas 'Gaj Ke Fateh Bulaai'

scan10006nq6.jpg

The Shahidi painting is heart rending and not very uplifting when seen without the context of the other paintings.- but I guess that is the point - underlying Sarbans Daani

Guru Gobind Singh Ji's statement of 'Chaar Muey ton kia hua - Jeevat Kai Hazar'

I get a similar feeling when I see Satwinder Bitti's videos on Saka Sirhind and Saka Chamkaur

This image of 'Dekh Ke Undith' , the Shahidi image of Sahib Baba Jujhaar Singh Ji and the words 'Bijlee payee Liskan Mardi eh - Disdi payee Laash Jujhaar Di Eh' - always bring tears to my eyes.

qurnq6.jpg

But I think these sort of depictions are important - especially for children - they show how powerful images can be.

In the case of Bitti's videos - many may not like them - but the depiction of the exchange between Mata Ji and Guru Gobind Singh using the 'Panj Piarey' to show the voice of Guru Sahib is a very powerful one.

Videos

Saka Chamkaur

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=...54&hl=en-GB

Sahibzadey - Exchange between Mata Ji and Guru Sahib

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=...30&hl=en-GB

I know many may not like such cartoons and comics but I think they they are important for children who are not always interested in or understand Dhadhi Vaars or are too young for books.

They spark an interest or get them asking questions which is always a good thing.

Whether they get answers to those questions is a whole other discussion !!

Hope I haven't rambled on - and there is some point to what I've said

Freed

In fact what the sources say is that they became unconscious and were then taken out and beheaded. Someone please shed more light on this issue.

yes, im sure ur right, because ive heard in a sakhi, that they were first bricked, but as the bricks fell apart... sahibzade ji were unconcious.... having thier last breathes, and the muslim guy (verry sorry for my choice of lang) asked them once more that its not too late for them to say they accept islam, and sahibzade ji nodded their heads by saying No, then they were beheaded.

pls forgive me if im wrong.

wjkk wjkf

I heard something else. The maulvi who annouced punishment said that their religious rule book (shria, may be) states that blood should not be spilled while punishing children or women. So they decided to brick them alive. I never heard of beheading them.

I have heard most of these sakhis, there are vasious ones each with a slight difference, whatever the truth it was an unspeakable crime. What is less known is that as the general public came to know of this, there was great unrest amoungst the masses, with protests and so on, the general population made their feeling known that this should not have happened.

The pic in the gurdwara is very much like the one reporduced above but I think maybe a local artist has painted his own version.

I just thought that a more joyous picture - even of the Sahibzadays - would have been more appropriate, that is all.