The Origins Of Rakari

The Legends of Rakhi

Origin

The Shravana or the monsoon month carries all hues and shades of nature and emotions. Religiously speaking Shravan is a pious month and full moon of this all-important month is considered to be a very holy day. It is celebrated in different ways for different reasons almost throughout the country.

For the siblings it is the eternal tie of love, for Brahmins the day to take the pledge of Brahmanik rites and for those who depend sea and monsoon, it is the beginning of the new season.

Indian festivals are based on the weather changes and their significance in the lives of people but they do have a story to support the celebrations. The rich Indian Mythology provides a religious reason to celebrate the day in a specific way. Many epics are related to the day and the origin of Raksha Bandhan. The festival finds a mention in most of the epics and its origin can be traced back to the mythological Pouranik times.

It's become more of a cultural item nowadays...I doubt many folks actually understand the background behind it.

Like many things in India, the culture of India is VERY MUCH tied into Hinduism. This isn't a bad thing at all, so I don't think we should have this '...anything Hindu-based is bad...' notion.

We do it and I know LOTS of Sikhs families (inc. AmtriDhair) who do this.

I DOUBT many do it because of the Hindu-religious identity it has, but more because it's embedded in the CULTURE of Indians.

Buy the way, i'm one of those people who actually LIKE India.

India is a great country and has a rich background and history. I am aware of the impact it has had upon Sikhi, but India is thriving and I am looking ahead and forward, but have not forgotten the ugly history of India. No doubt there will be the usual suspects who will attack what I've just said but so be it!!!

I have to do it because of family but the way things are (my siblings and i didn't even know) it'll be forgotten soon. I have no care for it but you know what? For me it highlights my relationship with my sisters. In the same way there's a Fathers Day and a Mothers Day, I see it as a Sisters Day (and they as Brothers Day) and I appreciate them that much more.

I love my sisters soooooooo much :wubc: Even when they sit there and poke me and annoy me rolleyes.gif

India is a great country and has a rich background and history. I am aware of the impact it has had upon Sikhi, but India is thriving and I am looking ahead and forward, but have not forgotten the ugly history of India.

did you even read that mukh? he admits to the bad side of India.

Not everything is neatly cut into "Sikhi" and "India". There could be some who seek polarization of the Sikhs in punjab by militarizing them, and in return gaining power themselves. There could be some who are truly working for more representation. And then there could be some political activists who are genuinely anti-Sikh. Its easy to blame "India", and hard to accuse those so called Sikhs who rouse the mob for their own purposes...

and by the way, i'm not, even in the least, talking about bhindrawale...