Non Sikh Wearing Kara

Guest Harbhajan Kaur

bracelet that word sums up ur whole view point. a kara is not just a bracelet. i suppose a kachera are just a pair of shorts for u aswell. a kara is a kakkar. and shud be treated as such its not just for anyone/everyone to wear but carries responsibilities and identity with it. if every1 wore 1 as they have started doing its significance wud diminish. bracelet....bloody hell man

• 1 year later...

i personally dont think its ok 2 wear a kara unless ur gonna take amrit. i dont think its acceptable 2 wear one of the kakkars and none of the others...of course God gave us free will so if u do wear one make sure ur not smoking, drinking alcohol, or eating meat. kundalini yoga and sikhism are completley different. Harbhajan Singh Ji just happened 2 used that when he introduced sikhism 2 the US.

Sikhander, you really shouldnt call any one or and jatha or group freaks....imagine wat other "sikhs" say about us i.e. namdhari, nirakari, radhaswami...etc. just live and let live. the people who know everything usually keep their mouths shut. the ones who know nuthin ramble on and on about things they think they know...think about it

bhul chuk maf karne

NJ Singh Khalsa

WAHEGURUJIKAKHALSAWAHEGURUJIKEFATEH.

Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji gave the Gursikh a Karra in the form of a handcuff. The handcuff is to refrain from:

Cutting Hair

Using tobacco products

Sexual relations other than with spouse

Eating Halal

Engaging in any other anti-social activity.

If the Gursikh refrains from the above,then the worn Karra has been succesful. If the Gursikh engages in the above,then the Karra does not remain a Karra in Guru Ji's definition.

• 6 months later...
Guest M Singh

the kara is a symbol of the sikh faith. if u are not a part of it, u have no right to it. It's like a sikh wantin to wear a muslim topi coz he thinks its cool or watever reason.

• 5 months later...
Guest Diana Cox

:D Hello, I believe that everyone who has faith in the supreme being regardless of the religious specific faith binds us all together as one. I totally respect the symbols of each individual practice and can respect someone who is not of a specific practice wanting to wear or have a symbol that reminds them of where it comes from and what it means. I can also understand that different faiths generating income on sales of such material regardless of jewelry or literature, t shirts, it is a great way for funding that helps with buildings of worship and what the people of the faith want to do with the funds generated.

Peace and love be with you all

• 1 month later...

Satnam Waheguru Ji Anyone can wear SIKH KARA

yes mam anyone can wear sikh kara

Hi. I am a non Sikh, but practice Kundalini Yoga and have read and believe msot of the Sikh religion. I do not plan on becoming baptized. Is it offensive to anyone if I wear a kara? I know that I have read that it is not really a kara unless it is blessed and given to you, but I believe the deep spiritual meaning that it has. I don't want to offend anyone. Is this okay? Sat Nam!

Guest guptbhenji

WJKK WJKF

I know lots of people that wear a kara and believe in sikhism, also call themselves sikh. I think its wrong for those to say only an amritdhari can wear a kara. That is total nonsense, as everybody is not perfect in this world and may not be an amritdhari, but god wouldnt discriminate against anybody that is not amritdhari that wears a kara. and i bet a lot of people still wore a kara b4 they became amritdharis.

At least they wear one and go to the gurdwara, and want to learn about their religion. Yes it is right that a kara symbolises certains points, and u shouldnt do this and that. But nobody is perfect, as long as they try is the main thing. If we were all like superduper perfect we wouldnt be in this world.

thankuji

As long as you don't dishonour a religious symbol through your actions and wear it with the understanding of what the 'gifter' or 'giver' of that religious symbol expected you to believe in, or follow, before you wore it, then all is OK!

For example, if I wore a Muslim Skullcap, or Nuns Outfit, or a Crucifix, or any such religious symbols, and then mugged an old lady, or walked around drunk out of my mind on Friday nights with them on, then I would only be disrespecting those religious symbols and the people of those religious faiths. It would be just as disrespectful if I wore them without having the decency to do the required amount of research to find out what those symbols stood for, or what the gifter/giver of those symbols expected me to believe in, or follow, before I wore those symbols.

Again, if I wore a Muslim or Jewish Skullcap, and didn't even bother to find out that you could not ear pork if you wore those symbols, as directed by Mohammed, then I would be disrespecting both Mohammed and the Muslims, and Moses and the Jews, by wearing those Skullcaps. It would also be more than just 'not being perfect', and instead it would be an insult to Islam and the Jewish faith. Or, if I wore Hindu symbols and ate beef I would be disrespecting Hindus. Or, if I wore a crucifix but did not believe in Jesus then I would be disrespecting Christianity. A Christian can be perfect and eat Pork, but a Muslim is far from perfect who eats pork, A Muslim can be perfect and eat Beef, but a Hindu is far from perfect who eats beef. So what we wear does bring about some very specific instructions/codes. Otherwise, we are just making a game of it and making it up as we going along!!!

So, in the same way, wearing a Kara, and carrying out actions which are not in accordance with Sikhi, is dispectful to Guru Ji and the Sikhs. You don't have to be perfect to wear a Kara, but you should do the relevant amount of research before wearing a Kara, otherwise, it's no different to eating pork whilst wearing a Muslim or Jewish Skullcap.