Whats Is A Surname?

Ek Onkar Satnam

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

Jassa Ji then why did our king, leader, guide and Guru, Guru Gobind Singh Ji remove rai as his surname and also accept singh as his surname, what was ment by his action? why did he do it? the Guru himself changed his surname and gave us the surname singh/k aur as this was thechosen surname of the khalsa family, he freed us from the indian caste surname system and also freed women from attachment to her husbands surname. Do not attach yourself to the system become free and ready to go!

jwxhu joiq n pUChu jwqI AwgY jwiq n hy ]1] rhwau ]

jaanahu joth n pooshhahu jaathee aagai jaath n hae ||1|| rehaao ||

The Khalsa brotherhood is a family we have one path, one guru, one god and we should all share the same family name as did the sons of Guru Gobind Singh Ji.

Waho Waho Gobind Singh Aape Gur Chella

Stay in high sprits

Gurfateh Ji

"I have no name"

In Guru Gobind Singh Jis bani, I dont know if it was in Dasam Guru Granth or Sarbloh Guru Granth. There is a bani which mentions Guru Gobind Singh Jis surname name and clan as Guru Gobind Singh Sodhi Rai. Can someone here put it up?

Would you think Guru Ji as Anti-Sikh because he used his surname?

I've even heard one Singh said that Guru Ji said, "do as not as I do but as what I say". If Guru Ji says this then Guru Ji wouldnt be practising what he is preaching and would be practising falsehood?

I use my surname, because I dont want to be marrying my sister and creating incest. Does who do not know what incest is have a look here, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incest

Im so glad ive moved away from fairyland Sikhi, I can live in the real world!

You mentioned that "I have no name", if you look in a spiritual view point we all have no names but have many names! We are all one! Names are a means of calling someone. If we all have the same name, and someone calls you by this one name, then everyone will look to you expecting a reply.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont agree with using surname as khalsa !!!! i think khalsa is panth rather then surname ... using it will make it just another caste ... i m abc singh brar .... xyz singh gill ... hij singh khalsa ... stopping at singh would be better then using khalsa ... no puratan singh used khalsa in name ... baba deep singh baba gurbaksh singh etc etc ...

and is using surname bad ???? there were many chardikalla singhs with surname after their name !!!! were they not singhs ...

Ek Onkar Satnam

Jassa Ji then why did our king, leader, guide and Guru, Guru Gobind Singh Ji remove rai as his surname and also accept singh as his surname, what was ment by his action? why did he do it? the Guru himself changed his surname and gave us the surname singh/kaur as this was the chosen surname of the khalsa family, he freed us from the indian caste surname system and also freed women from attachment to her husbands surname. Do not attach yourself to the system become free and ready to go!

The Khalsa brotherhood is a family we have one path, one guru, one god and we should all share the same family name as did the sons of Guru Gobind Singh Ji.

Stay in high sprits

Gurfateh Ji

"I have no name"

gurufathe singh ji !!!!

rai is not a surname !!! it is rather a middle name ... surname tells your background ... its not even a caste .... caste is what u earn from ur work if some one do kheti he is vaish for sure ... but its not necessary he should belong to jatt clan !!!! surname race clan and caste are all different things ...

all that matters is false pride of ur caste ... how come proud to be a brar would lead you to naraks while proud to be a singh with same pride lead you to become a better sikh ????

even guru sahib after creation of khalsa panth used sodhi at places .... i cant remember full but it was some thing like this ...

na app laddon

na fauj ladvaon

kabul see <admin-profanity filter activated> mangvaon

unse inka nash karvaon

-----

-----

-----

naam mera sodhi rai gur gobind singh !!!!!

even bhai gurdas ji used sodhi to represent guru sahibs family tree .... was is it also caste system ?????

i dont agree with using surname as khalsa !!!! i think khalsa is panth rather then surname ... using it will make it just another caste ... i m abc singh brar .... xyz singh gill ... hij singh khalsa ... stopping at singh would be better then using khalsa ... no puratan singh used khalsa in name ... baba deep singh baba gurbaksh singh etc etc ...

and is using surname bad ???? there were many chardikalla singhs with surname after their name !!!! were they not singhs ...

Ek Onkar Satnam

Jassa Ji then why did our king, leader, guide and Guru, Guru Gobind Singh Ji remove rai as his surname and also accept singh as his surname, what was ment by his action? why did he do it? the Guru himself changed his surname and gave us the surname singh/kaur as this was the chosen surname of the khalsa family, he freed us from the indian caste surname system and also freed women from attachment to her husbands surname. Do not attach yourself to the system become free and ready to go!

Stay in high sprits

Gurfateh Ji

"I have no name"

gurufathe singh ji !!!!

rai is not a surname !!! it is rather a middle name ... surname tells your background ... its not even a caste .... caste is what u earn from ur work if some one do kheti he is vaish for sure ... but its not necessary he should belong to jatt clan !!!! surname race clan and caste are all different things ...

all that matters is false pride of ur caste ... how come proud to be a brar would lead you to naraks while proud to be a singh with same pride lead you to become a better sikh ????

even guru sahib after creation of khalsa panth used sodhi at places .... i cant remember full but it was some thing like this ...

na app laddon

na fauj ladvaon

kabul see <admin-profanity filter activated> mangvaon

unse inka nash karvaon

-----

-----

-----

naam mera sodhi rai gur gobind singh !!!!!

even bhai gurdas ji used sodhi to represent guru sahibs family tree .... was is it also caste system ?????

Ek Onkar Satnam

Pyare Sangat Ji, If you think Guru Gobind Singh Ji was and still should be known as Guru Gobind Rai or Guru Gobind Singh Rai then you do what you feel is right, I only know him as Guru Gobind Singh, Guru also states in dasam granth the value of one without lineage read in to it sangat ji. As for preventing incest by keeping a surname? If you marry a penji with the surname kaur how is that incest? all women everywhere should be as your sisters or mothers anyway, think about it pyare, your marriage is ordained by the Guru not even you. A surname other than singh is not required, if you are part of the khalsa family we should all share the same surname and title singh and kaur.

Stay in high sprits

Gurfateh Ji

"I have no name"

Ek Onkar Satnam

Pyare Sangat Ji, If you think Guru Gobind Singh Ji was and still should be known as Guru Gobind Rai or Guru Gobind Singh Rai then you do what you feel is right, I only know him as Guru Gobind Singh, Guru also states in dasam granth the value of one without lineage read in to it sangat ji. As for preventing incest by keeping a surname? If you marry a penji with the surname kaur how is that incest? all women everywhere should be as your sisters or mothers anyway, think about it pyare, your marriage is ordained by the Guru not even you. A surname other than singh is not required, if you are part of the khalsa family we should all share the same surname and title singh and kaur.

Stay in high sprits

Gurfateh Ji

"I have no name"

So if your blood sister changes her name to Kaur, does that mean you can marry her? Im not trying to be bad but if you go with this logic years from now, you wouldnt know who your blood sisters or brothers are. Guru Ji also said not to be proud of your jaat, does that mean rejecting it all together? No. Guru Ji also says not to be proud of your wealth, does that mean we have to throw it away? No. Everything that is mines is actually his.

http://www.sikhnet.com/sikhnet/music.nsf/S...7e2f21!Open

Ek Onkar Satnam

Stay in high sprits

Gurfateh Ji

"I have no name"

So if your blood sister changes her name to Kaur, does that mean you can marry her? Im not trying to be bad but if you go with this logic years from now, you wouldnt know who your blood sisters or brothers are. Guru Ji also said not to be proud of your jaat, does that mean rejecting it all together? No. Guru Ji also says not to be proud of your wealth, does that mean we have to throw it away? No. Everything that is mines is actually his.

Ek Onkar Satnam

Rupz ji, obviously i do not mean that, i mean that every person out there is supposed to be respected as a brother, father, mother or sister, or even son or daughter, that is how we should see everyone, the point i am trying to make is i am the son of Guru Gobind Singh Ji and i will adopt his surname, so i have adopted the surname of singh, if you prefer to be a sidhu or bittu that is up to you but my father is the guru and i am only part of his family, whatever you can do in reason to practice sikhi you should do i.e. change name, give dasvandh, do seva etc. The guru has given us common sense, the points you have mentioned can easily be dealt with using common sense and pyar. Do you think your fathers, and your surname should be the same or different? who do you see as your father, i see Guru Gobind Singh as mine.

Stay in high sprits

Gurfateh Ji

"I have no name"

Ek Onkar Satnam

Stay in high sprits

Gurfateh Ji

"I have no name"

Ek Onkar Satnam

Rupz ji, obviously i do not mean that, i mean that every person out there is supposed to be respected as a brother, father, mother or sister, or even son or daughter, that is how we should see everyone, the point i am trying to make is i am the son of Guru Gobind Singh Ji and i will adopt his surname, so i have adopted the surname of singh, if you prefer to be a sidhu or bittu that is up to you but my father is the guru and i am only part of his family, whatever you can do in reason to practice sikhi you should do i.e. change name, give dasvandh, do seva etc. The guru has given us common sense, the points you have mentioned can easily be dealt with using common sense and pyar. Do you think your fathers, and your surname should be the same or different? who do you see as your father, i see Guru Gobind Singh as mine.

Stay in high sprits

Gurfateh Ji

"I have no name"

Thanks for the inspiration to drop my surname, I havent thought to do it until now. Let all those others fools babble their rubbish because they will make all sorts of excuses and try clever tricks in order to hold on to their 'surnames' which in the end mean nothing at all. You can try to tell 'some' people on this forum about seeing all women as your own sisters but they see it as incest- as if all women on this earth were created by the One for your pickings for marriage. Get real guys and go read some bani - maybe vaheguru maharaaj will do some kirpa on you fools.

Guest Narinder Singh
Ek Onkar Satnam

Stay in high sprits

Gurfateh Ji

"I have no name"

Ek Onkar Satnam

Stay in high sprits

Gurfateh Ji

"I have no name"

Thanks for the inspiration to drop my surname, I havent thought to do it until now. Let all those others fools babble their rubbish because they will make all sorts of excuses and try clever tricks in order to hold on to their 'surnames' which in the end mean nothing at all. You can try to tell 'some' people on this forum about seeing all women as your own sisters but they see it as incest- as if all women on this earth were created by the One for your pickings for marriage. Get real guys and go read some bani - maybe vaheguru maharaaj will do some kirpa on you fools.

You talk a lot of trash for someone who tells others to read bani and drop their last names.

Fateh.

Ek Onkar Satnam

Stay in high sprits

Gurfateh Ji

"I have no name"

Ek Onkar Satnam

Stay in high sprits

Gurfateh Ji

"I have no name"

You talk a lot of trash for someone who tells others to read bani and drop their last names.

Fateh.

Ek Onkar Satnam

Narinder Singh Ji what trash have i posted? I have only promoted ekta, khalsa reyet. I still have not found a justification of why Guru Gobind Singh ji removed his surname and why we should not do the same? Just some humble advice to forum users try and say fateh to eachother using the khalsa greeting, it helps sangat say waheguru.

Gurfateh ji

"I have no name"

I never used my last name till grade 10. then i had to apply for schooling in canada and i was asked to put my last name.. not that i am proud of it. Amritdhari sikhs have used last names for many reasons.. no need to get too excited about that.